Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

Got the Oil Drain all done, test fitted the oil feed for the turbo.

Started on a brace for the down-pipe.

All the fiddle stuff to get into *joy*

Keeping it simple with a W58 supra 5 speed box. :)

That should make for a more engaging experience. Good work!

I knew it always needed it, but wanted to give the auto setup a go first.

Yeah, most people end up coming around to it. Good to see, youll love it :D

Yeah, most people end up coming around to it.

Yeah, I mean on the motorway the auto setup in manual mode (shifted off old cruise control stick) was really good, nice and quick, would be good on a track too I'd imagine...

But down low around town 1->2 and 3->2 was somewhat harsh as 2nd had quite a complex multi shift solenoid shift sequence from factory that I just couldn't replicate without shift shock, plus I couldn't rev match and the engine brake feature is not nearly as direct as in a manual setup.

While it worked it's just not nearly as fun as a manual would be.. at least I've finally concluded it by trying rather than just speculating!

Ive been looking at a Sequential air setup for manual ... would require fancy SMG style clutch solenoid and some full on programming to make it work. Im still keen on doing this but will be a bench setup first :)

Sounds like an interesting idea, has this been done on track cars or similar?

Would the clutch still be manually operated or do you think that too would be actuated remotely?

Its what you see in WRC or formula style cars with quick paddle shifts. These are based on proper dog gear sequential gear boxes however. The air change system is in addition to this to assist with quick f1 style shifting shifting.

EG crude one here

Its not too far to adapt it to 5 speed h pattern. Just have to think a bit more about the gear engagement being 2d instead of 1d

Mmmm that is a really nice setup by the looks, seems like the drive is using it really well.

For the control the auto, I had a PCS TCM 2000 unit, it has up to 9 PWM outputs to control what you will, obviously best intended for solenoids... I'm sure such a unit could also control what you've been describing.

A lot of possibilities really, I guess they key is turning something that can be otherwise gimmicky into a direct benefit for the intended use.

Could you see this setup in your E30?

Edited by Michael.

Toying with a few ideas, SMG e30 or sequential shift paddles.

The hard thing is timing of the dis-engage and engage with throttle blip or hold. This way you can actually do it without syncro mesh, however one mis-timed shift and its bye bye gearbox haha.

The programming I would do in a prototyping MCU and make up my own hardware using a darlignton array or the likes. Then it can be switched with digital HI/LO 5volt switching.

The dream of keeping the foot down in the corners and changing gears would be awesome.

This would be the ultimate however :) I don't have a spare 20k laying around though.

http://www.drenth-gearboxes.com/products/g...00-gearbox.html

Sounds interesting! Have been playing with the idea of a H -> sequential pattern shifter (pull for up push for down change) as a design challenge for myself. Ive seen many different options for cable etc but all look bulky ugly things.

Converting from there to a actuated shift wouldnt be a huge leap and could safe guard againt incorrect gear selection. Lets us know how you go.

Edited by MLM

Thanks Josh...

.. For adding another item to the "things I must have for the race car that I can't afford" list, Getrag 265 fit meant as well.... Mmmmmmm

Converting from there to a actuated shift wouldnt be a huge leap and could safe guard againt incorrect gear selection. Lets us know how you go.

Yeah, the SMG actuator isn't too difficult .. its throttle blip on down changes and load lift of acceleration of the motor control i'm trying to figure out. SMG1 did it .. need to have a look at it.

Maybe we should take a look together ?

Thanks Josh...

.. For adding another item to the "things I must have for the race car that I can't afford" list....

Here is something else Ive been looking at you can add to the list :D

http://www.shop.cae-racing.de/index.php?a=35&lang=eng

Maybe we should take a look together ?

Sure, would be an interesting challenge.

Yeah, the SMG actuator isn't too difficult .. its throttle blip on down changes and load lift of acceleration of the motor control i'm trying to figure out. SMG1 did it .. need to have a look at it.

I suppose for the throttle blip you would need an electronic throttle body or a series dual throttle body valve, one of which is controlled to restrict the intake for a split second.

Then again, I wonder if it's better to do it electronically altering the fuel or ignition to reduce the engine load.

How do they do it on Ferraris and the like?

Edited by Michael.

I suspect they have full control of the clutch so that depending on driving style, pootling along vs full power shifts, they can modulate gearbox loading in combination with ignition cut or retardation.

Throttle blip could possibly be done by taking control of the idle stepper though may be limited in flow, an electronic TB or an external arangement which effectivly shortened the throttle cable effective length opening the throttle.

Yeah, I think it wont be too hard to program in the electronics to get the mechanicals working of it.

However the mapping or profiling of smooth shifts under different load condictions etc will be hard. The only way to do this is to data log everything, look at the data and create a model from it.

What you could do is do it manually (EG drive the car normally) then copy the logged data and replicate it and slowly increase the speed until you have fast shifting.

The trick is to have smooth transition for cornering as not to unload the car.. laptimes will fall with this working.

Jacked the car up and removed dual exhaust system. Removing exhaust manifolds to prep for HPC coating next week.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Finally got the e28 insured as a classic..and for what it's worth :)

Been working on a "ski pass" subwoofer enclosure. Will end up with a 36mm front baffle.

post-797-1367574788.jpg

Been working on a "ski pass" subwoofer enclosure. Will end up with a 36mm front baffle.

Hope you have a decent amp to power those babies :)

Hope you have a decent amp to power those babies :)

you wait till he says its going in his Mini :lol:

I don't think the lucas alternator would be up to it somehow. Running about 600 RMS on the sub channel.

Not any physical work on the BMW.

But went into MSNZ this AM, got my race license renewed, Log Book & Homologation Papers submitted, and the OK to get some paint on the cage :D

Destroyed the front of the m3 by hitting a hare on a spirited drive to middlemarch :(

Edited by euroriffic