Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

It's safety paint, gives people even less reason to cut me off.

Looks like it was a dodgy valve. Maybe manufactured wrong or something... the collets and retainers/springs are all in tact and cams etc are all fine. Looks like its just crapped out and dropped onto the piston...destroying everything else in it's path.

Well, that kinda sucks.

Cheers Matt.

Well, I had them running on the car for 500kms or so, after removing, found about 9 tiny holes between the pair, where the welds were not 100% (could see the carbon deposits forming from the leaks) so had those tacked up along with any other suspect pits in and around the welded joins.

Pretty sure its 100% sealed now.

This is a HPC HiPer Coat in Grey, rated for 750 deg.C

I'm just happy to know they wont rust for a long time. But it will also be interesting to see what the temperature in the engine bay drops to with these, I did some testing with a IR heat gun prior so I will be able to compare as this coating is supposed to give a decent drop in the engine bays temperature.

Cant remember what coating mine was, but didnt help with temperature much. Rain still boils off my bonnet when I come to a stop.

God that looks terrible.

+1

Got the sedan running on the stock ecu again. Should be roadworthy in the next couple weeks

Did major wash after stripping out interior the day before ... now shes a clean standard E30 with minor rust rather than a being the filthy E30 she was before ...

Manual?

no but have a manual kit for sale if you want one

Not looking for a kit. Selling the wife's WRX wagon and hoping to replace it with a 3 series wagon (preferably manual but hard to find). Will keep an eye on what you have but have to wait for the sale first.

Spent 5 hours cleaning four cars. Also found a great new use for the kartcher window vacuum :)

Sold it to first test driver.

Continued polishing my...... Audi

While doing some gearbox tuning and reviewing the telemetry on my laptop afterward, it looks like the 1UZ E36 is good for 100kph in the vicinity of 5.5-6.0 seconds from a standing start.

I believe that's just about right for the power to weight ratio.

Edited by Michael.

Jacked my car up with the intention of taking my diff out

Man flu took over so I went and had a shower instead.

f**k you winter

Swore a whole lot after I took the head off the M50. 4 pistons, 4 valves, head and MLS head gasket are forked.

Gonna be a whole lotta work and $$ to do before the season starts again.

Swore a whole lot after I took the head off the M50. 4 pistons, 4 valves, head and MLS head gasket are forked.

Gonna be a whole lotta work and $$ to do before the season starts again.

That sucks big time.

You had a valve steam break right?

Nah, piston design was wrong and demo'd the valve.

Left the 530i with Glenn at Botany Motorworxx to have the cooling parts installed (thermostat, waterpump, upper rad hose), change engine oil and filter, and check on the parking brakes which were not holding well.

What was the outcome on the parking brake? i did a diy on mine - new shoes, deglazed the rotor inner, adjusted, and while it passed wof i'm still not happy with it.

What was the outcome on the parking brake? i did a diy on mine - new shoes, deglazed the rotor inner, adjusted, and while it passed wof i'm still not happy with it.

Glenn deglazed the rotor and shoes and adjusted so it works better, but not to 100% because of how it was adjusted during previous services (I'm assuming by Team McMillan). Glenn can explain it better, but during adjustments they had only adjusted the cable but forgot the other part - the shoe adjusters I think (?), which was still at its factory settings. This deformed/wore out something in the drum requiring me to have to pull the handbrake a lot harder than I should for it to engage - and even so not at 100%. My WOF is due November, and my rear rotors will need replacement by then as well, so might do all this during then.

Glenn deglazed the rotor and shoes and adjusted so it works better, but not to 100% because of how it was adjusted during previous services (I'm assuming by Team McMillan). Glenn can explain it better, but during adjustments they had only adjusted the cable but forgot the other part - the shoe adjusters I think (?), which was still at its factory settings. This deformed/wore out something in the drum requiring me to have to pull the handbrake a lot harder than I should for it to engage - and even so not at 100%. My WOF is due November, and my rear rotors will need replacement by then as well, so might do all this during then.

Yeah i made sure i set the shoe clearance with the star adjuster, not the cables. 2 things i didn't do was grease the side of the shoe where it contacts the hub and make sure the cables were free in the sheaths. Just waiting for another fine day. Will be interested to see if new rotors makes a difference.

finally some paint on the e28

more painting and fitting windscreens back in

bonnet , side skirts and front bumper ,sunroof panel to be painted next week etc

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i