Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

last week i decided to finally come up with a solution to install a stereo head unit into the E34. has the much bigger 750iL heater box which mean there was not enough room for the stereo to slide all the way back.

Imported a LHD center panel and fitted that to the RHD console, relocating the OBC to the RHS of the stereo. looked like it would work but still no go, stereo would go a lot further back, but still not quite clear the heater box, but hanging out 1" or so rather than 3" so thats good, but not good enough. decided what i need to do is buy a head unit that has no CD reader in it, but for the mean time have put the RHD panel (like normal) back into the car, and removed one of the electronic actuators for the heater box. lucky these little motors dont have little hidden anchors etc. this allowed stereo to slide all the way home. Yay! Now have the disadvantage that no air comes out the little vent on the drivers door or by the front right tweeter, but good enough for now. Then i was able to put all the rest of the interior back in the car and it finally looks presentable :D nice having a glovebox not just a gaping footwell on the passengers side!

looking good on inside, decided i was sick of looking at 6 months of crap on it including from two trips to auckland and back, yes been very lazy with the car. decided to clean it.

now its covered in leaves and sticks and god knows what else from the storm.

dont know why i bother some times

Gangsta as Clear indicator lenses

Posted Image

and sick night shot of sick USA spec parking lights.

Posted Image

I need to sort my camera out still... dark shots are fail on a phone.

a video of how my indicators work..

Edited by antil33t

Mike: e36 looking real nice and clean. Always wanted to do the mesh grille update on my e36 when I had it. But never got round to it. Was it easy?

Antil33t: you car looks immaculate, liking the clean look of the clear indicators, all you need is a mtech front bumper!

Explain what they do? Compared to normal hazard lights?

Looks good Mike, glad I gave them to you ;)

Hehehe, every time I clean my car some bastard hits me and writes it off!

Turtle wax is not my friend ;)

now its covered in leaves and sticks and god knows what else from the storm.

Haha I had the same problem, Car was covered in leaves and sticks and crap. Was hectic. Also had this giant tree fall over right from under our house. This was the one where smashed into the ladies house and was on campbell live.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Had to remove some of the storm debris to get out of the garage , but considering the amount of thumps on the roof Thursday night I'm pleased that none of our trees came down. Thought one of our Tawa trees was going to topple. Wicked wind eh !

Edited by Neal

no damage here which is good, tree out the front of my place came half down but thats the councils problem now. quite good as I have been trying to get them to pull it out for close on two years pretty much as soon as i moved here, they wont have a choice now.

a few doors down though a very large one has come down you can't even see the front of the house because of the tree in front of it :o took the power down with it to my place.

Wow, that's a hefty tree to have fall. :S

Mike: e36 looking real nice and clean. Always wanted to do the mesh grille update on my e36 when I had it. But never got round to it. Was it easy?

Cheers Kyu. I got the oem clips for the pins around the edge of the grille cut out that hold it in place, the side ones pushed on easily but the top ones were a bit harder, only because I had to fit it with the bumper attached, it would be much easier with it off the car but I got it sorted. Only took 2 years haha.

Antil33t: you car looks immaculate, liking the clean look of the clear indicators, all you need is a mtech front bumper!

They're sweet, haha I'd love a kit for it, but I can't really justify one unless I just find it cheap! It also needs more low, but with Self Leveling suspension makes it a pain.

Explain what they do? Compared to normal hazard lights?

USA indicators have a dual filament bulb which is 5w/21w and uses the 5w on all the time as a "park" light instead of the tiny wee citylight at the top of the elipsoid.

Looks good Mike, glad I gave them to you ;)

CHUR they're gangsta!

As it was a cold, often wet, and miserable day yesterday I thought I would lavish some attention on the family fleet to make the most of it..

Started a list of jobs to do on the race car..

..got too long and too expensive, so got pissed off with that and gave up.

Took the convertible for a quick spin just to blow the cob-webs out..

..ended up with a list of jobs to do on that as well, so got pissed off with that and gave up.

Cleaned the wheels on the work wagon and gave it a quick wipe down..

..started raining hard, so couldn't finish that which pissed me off.

So I gave the wheels a quick brush off on the wife's wagon and noticed how many of the alloys are now kerbed..

..which pissed me off even more!!

All in all a very inspiring and successful exercise. <_<

received some goodies for the m30. Package 1 of 5.

Posted Image

Left it at Cooke Howlison BMW for a new Windscreen >.<

Left the 530i with Glenn at Botany Motorworxx to have the cooling parts installed (thermostat, waterpump, upper rad hose), change engine oil and filter, and check on the parking brakes which were not holding well.

Became the latest victim of the potholes in Chch that have appeared after the floods then heavy frosts.

Cut a long story short, dark night in the rain, on a road I go down every day. SMACK !! Front left. Sure that looked just like a puddle of water

Next day checked in at mechanic as big pool of oil under car and thought it was brake fluid.

Front left shock had completely sh@t itself.

New shocks both sides. Now waiting to see if insurance will play its part...

Became the latest victim of the potholes in Chch that have appeared after the floods then heavy frosts.

Cut a long story short, dark night in the rain, on a road I go down every day. SMACK !! Front left. Sure that looked just like a puddle of water

Next day checked in at mechanic as big pool of oil under car and thought it was brake fluid.

Front left shock had completely sh@t itself.

New shocks both sides. Now waiting to see if insurance will play its part...

Ouch... Good luck.

Today I found that a valve has dropped onto a piston and fkd my race motor.

oooooo dear

Today I found that a valve has dropped onto a piston and fkd my race motor.

Fark, real sorry to hear that mate. If you need any help with getting it going again let me know.

Looks like it was a dodgy valve. Maybe manufactured wrong or something... the collets and retainers/springs are all in tact and cams etc are all fine. Looks like its just crapped out and dropped onto the piston...destroying everything else in it's path.

Nice headers! Did you do any pressure checks before coating? found a couple of leaks in mine which otherwise would have been missed. What coating is it?

Nice headers! Did you do any pressure checks before coating? found a couple of leaks in mine which otherwise would have been missed. What coating is it?

Cheers Matt.

Well, I had them running on the car for 500kms or so, after removing, found about 9 tiny holes between the pair, where the welds were not 100% (could see the carbon deposits forming from the leaks) so had those tacked up along with any other suspect pits in and around the welded joins.

Pretty sure its 100% sealed now.

This is a HPC HiPer Coat in Grey, rated for 750 deg.C

I'm just happy to know they wont rust for a long time. But it will also be interesting to see what the temperature in the engine bay drops to with these, I did some testing with a IR heat gun prior so I will be able to compare as this coating is supposed to give a decent drop in the engine bays temperature.

Well I plastidipped my wheels FLURO ORANGE for lulz

Posted Image

Posted Image

hahaha

Edited by antil33t