Sign in to follow this  
M5V8

smartphones

It somehow feels like "most" people who buy Apple products are people who want to act "cooler" and try giving me the idea their devices is "better" than mine even though they don't even know what RAM stands for and what it does etc.

It somehow feels like "most" people who buy Apple products are people who want to act "cooler" and try giving me the idea their devices is "better" than mine even though they don't even know what RAM stands for and what it does etc.

How about we change that from the 2009 statement that it is, and update it for 2012/13:

It somehow feels like "most" people who buy Samsung products are people who want to act "cooler" and try giving me the idea their devices is "better" than mine even though they don't even know what RAM stands for and what it does etc.

;)

^ I don't own a Samsung device but the S2 and now S3 are top of the range...

One of the things that kills me is the sameness of the iphones. I went to a mates to play poker - 5 of the 8 guys there pulled out their identical iphones...

We don't really give a f**k to be honest.

I am just going with whatever E90 M3 says, he has a cool car and seems to know what he is talking about.

^ I don't own a Samsung device but the S2 and now S3 are top of the range...

One of the things that kills me is the sameness of the iphones. I went to a mates to play poker - 5 of the 8 guys there pulled out their identical iphones...

I like to swap them around when no one is looking. After a few beers have been consumed it's a bit of a laugh.

I bought the apple because it was piss easy to use, I've had iPhone's since a month after they came out in NZ. Never had a fault with them, they feel well made. I especially like the hotspot option on my old 4, this meant I could do away with internet services at our other property saving more than $100 per month and with 3GB of data and only 80 per month + 120 anytime minutes, unlimited after hours e.t.c. it was a no brainer.

"ITS TOO BIG" and actually has a big tanty about the size of it.

Is it possible to provide pictures of this tanty over the size of yours?

Edited by The Diesel Guy

There are no smart phones - they are all as dumb as the idiot using them. Apple just seem to be able to limit the negative impacts better than some of the others.

I have a Samsung "insert some part number I have no idea of here" (running Gingerbread I think) - it does more than I need and is a reasonable quality design. Only negatives are the fixed focus camera (no good for barcodes) and the cover over the USB port isn't very well thought out. I had a Huawei POS before that and the crappy screen really killed it - it really was an insult to use and generally shitty quality all around. And before that I have had the bulletproof old school Nokia's which were totally bullet and beer proof.

I do like the iPhones - the simplicity of their OS and setup is a winner for me (and I'm a reformed IT manager so not a technophobe - I just want sh*t to work the first time as I really don't have time to f**k around with it). Android is good once setup but still has too many buttons to press. Even my wife (who has an iPhone) struggles to use the Android phone at times. The other thing I like about the iPhone is the apps are somewhat controlled by Apple - so the chances of downloading a nasty is lower.

I refuse to pay for a phone - over the last 15 years I have only paid for one & I'm not about to start now... If I did have to lay my own cash out, I'd be looking for a discount iPhone 4 or 4S from the apple store once the 5 arrives later this week....

How about we change that from the 2009 statement that it is, and update it for 2012/13:

It somehow feels like "most" people who buy Samsung products are people who want to act "cooler" and try giving me the idea their devices is "better" than mine even though they don't even know what RAM stands for and what it does etc.

;)

How about we alternate that statement every year between Apple and Samsung because thats probably what will keep happening.

iPhone + Jailbreak

I rate it because I can pretty much have it however I want..

FREE apps's anyone? :lol:

Pros

Eveything

Cons

... Nothing.

That's just my view

Cons , Jailbreak = don't do you internet banking on it.

BTW , i have some new software for your BMW GM module .... you can trust me eh :ph34r:

Edited by Neal

Can anyone tell me if android has the same features as a iphone?

hotspot

icloud

photostream

airplay

and is there features a android does that a iphone doesnt

(hope i didnt open a bigger can of worms)

That will open a big can of worms.

Hotspot. yes.

I-cloud is really only useful if you have a bunch of mac devices and if yo do you would likely want an I-Phone in any case.

Photo-stream, again works with Mac Devices..

Airplay I am not familiar with.

Basically all these features are dumbed down and well designed features of what is and has been available of other devices for a long time, only nice and simple for Mac users.

TBH if you ask those questions a Mac device sounds good for you.

Is there any point in a person who has an extensive iTunes library using anything other that an iphone?

I've not used iTunes - I object to having to supply my credit card number when I'm not purchasing something - but was just wondering...

That will open a big can of worms.

Hotspot. yes.

I-cloud is really only useful if you have a bunch of mac devices and if yo do you would likely want an I-Phone in any case.

Photo-stream, again works with Mac Devices..

Airplay I am not familiar with.

Basically all these features are dumbed down and well designed features of what is and has been available of other devices for a long time, only nice and simple for Mac users.

TBH if you ask those questions a Mac device sounds good for you.

i am a apple user, iphone,ipad,mac book and i find all these functions great to work with...its like having a single device

but i am will to try new products and just wondered if android have these functions too

Is there any point in a person who has an extensive iTunes library using anything other that an iphone?

I've not used iTunes - I object to having to supply my credit card number when I'm not purchasing something - but was just wondering...

you don't.

i am a apple user, iphone,ipad,mac book and i find all these functions great to work with...its like having a single device

but i am will to try new products and just wondered if android have these functions too

no airplay on an android when i checked. Airplay is only available on most Apple routers anyway, no third party Airplay routers that im aware of. some stereos are starting to come out with built in airplay. I have the Airport Extreme router, and an Express bridge, work really well.

i guess, if your into apple to the point where you own Apple routers as well as computers, why would you look at anything other than an iPhone?

What the hell is photostream?

I use DropBox for everything, take photo's on phone... when I get home it uploads them (wifi only) and then they appear on my computer.

Airplay is really cool, I have airplay speakers setup on my Media Rig in my room, so I can just play music from my laptop.

It's debatable if it's "available" on android or not... Click click click

I'll have a play with some now.

It's built into RubbishTunes, but you can also buy it for like $20 bucks. and you can also get a Windows Version.

Ironically I'm typing this message from a MacBook Pro.

Edited by antil33t

afaik galaxy s3 has something similar to airplay and all the new devices from samsung will have this feature too.

ive heard a lot of people say that samsung s3 is a better phone than iphone 4/4S.

when we talk about something being better, we may not be talking about the same thing.

spec wise, s3 is supposed to be much faster with its faster cpu etc but at the end of the day, from my experience, an iphone has no lag and if it is a bit sluggish, then all u need to do is just back up, erase and load it again..

a phone being good or not really depends on the user,

if you are a teenager, you should have a basic phone so you can call your mum to pick u up from the movies, text ur friends, not have a smartphone to go on facebook or what not.

if you are a young adult, then maybe any smartphone will be fine, those around 20's and 30's should be able to manage any device and get used to it pretty easily, ios or andriod.

if you are 40+ then i really do think an iphone is the way to go. someone said something like apple dumbing down already existing features.. thats exactly what "older" people need.

my old man was very frustrated with all his previous phones, nokia bar phones, samsung sliders, some other flip ones, and before the smartphone era, the LG cookie phone. after getting the iphone, he is able to do pretty much everything anyone else would. its just too easy. android on the other than would take a LOT more getting used to.

it really just depends on the user whether to go android or iphone or windows 7/8..

me personally, am using an iphone 4 since it came out. before that used a bunch of random ones, nothing amazing (cept for the first color camera phone? sharp GX10!!)

basically never had a problem with my phone. had it for 2 years now, over 700 charge cycles, battery still holds 90% of design capacity... cant complain really..

i tried using galaxy s1, s2, s3, note, didnt like any except for the note, just because it had a pen and i could doodle random stuff.. not that useful.. too big to carry around.

i will be looking at the iphone 5 when it comes out, but i dont think there is any reason to spend 1k on a newer phone when my iphone 4 is doing everything i need and more...

anyone who is looking for a new smartphone (that doesnt already have a smartphone) should consider the iphone 4 from apple (if price drops a lot) otherwise even just a well looked after second hand one from ppl upgrading.

ive used iphone 4s, not much difference to 4, just a tad faster, nothing major, and apparently uses more battery than 4.

iphone 4 is the way to go!

-normal everyday user with no bias towards samsung <_< (im korean....)

/endrant

What the hell is photostream?

take a photo on and iOS or Mac, and it pushes it to all the rest of your devices automatically. so basically what you do without having to think. again, dumbing down the system.

ive never used an iphone till the other day, was totally dissapointed. I dont know what version it was, but the screen seemed really sh*t resoloution, took sh*t photos etc.

it was what i would expect of one of those fake knock off iphones you get from china... maybe it was.

I just have a cheapo HTC One V, $339 from www.fairbuy.co.nz

Does what I need, has Android 4.0, camera takes ok pics etc.

I use DropBox for everything, take photo's on phone... when I get home it uploads them (wifi only) and then they appear on my computer.

I think a pot of PC users will use a cloud storage/sharing system like this and for people who are a bit computer savvy this will work fine.

Mac just does it all for you.

I know Google have a great Cloud type storage/sharing system if you run Android and other Google products on your computer, its inevitable that Google will have it all integrated as Mac do very shortly only they will offer it all for a very low price or free.

I like my Mac devices, and have them mostly for a less stressful experience in the seance that I look after all devices in out household, they work well and are reliable (touch wood) and the wife and I share a Macbook and I-Tunes and both have out I-Phones linked to the Mac and I-Tunes, makes life easy, one less thing to worry about.

I think giving I was single I would have different devices.. and a BMW M3, a washboard stomach and a beach-house :lol:

after seeing the new iphone 5, i stand by my original comment... get an iphone 4/4s on the cheap

I think it's stupid

It's like how can we ruin the iPhone for lulz.

LTE Connectivity. The I5's best feature.

LTE is NOT currently in NZ and is a few years away.

LTE Connectivity. The I5's best feature.

LTE is NOT currently in NZ and is a few years away.

Really? Telecom seem to be pumping it like it's coming sooner than that?

If you like to hack your gadgets, get an Android phone, (GS3, ONE X or GNEX).

If you are geeky, you will appreciate Android and the more PC like functions.

If you want a simple, solid phone with good battery and a great camera - get an iPhone. Air play is great, but you need a 4S for mirroring.

As for iTunes with Android; apps like iSyncr allow you to wirelessly sync your library making it effectively the same as having an iphone. Remote app is on Android too if you use that.

Really? Telecom seem to be pumping it like it's coming sooner than that?

LTE trials are starting soon but are probably 1-2years away from being available to the public. Telecom have the benefit of using the CDMA frequencys for intial roll out and testing but once the government decides what to do with the analogue TV frequencys, look for things to start happening and happen fast.