Apex

Quick rant thread.

On 5/4/2024 at 12:12 PM, gjm said:

We've got them in Waipawa now. Well, 'sleeping policeman'. This is the main road south - State Highway 2. Not only are the road repairs the work of poor quality patchwork quilt deployment teams coupled with seeming dozens of cone shufflers, but when there is a smooth surface it gets broken up.

The sheer lack of foresight, and complete absence of quality control, on the part of NZTA is truly staggering.

They haven't yet recovered from our previous govts complete f**kery of maintenance budgets into ideological changes sans good science.  Give them time, it'll get unwound.

• Like 2

On 5/9/2024 at 7:00 PM, Olaf said:

They haven't yet recovered from our previous govts complete f**kery of maintenance budgets into ideological changes sans good science.  Give them time, it'll get unwound.

still probably not at this stage yet

Oh that is going to happen here for sure.  It's like NZ looks around for all the f**k ups, takes notes, then files it incorrectly in the 'Do this' folder.

11 minutes ago, Driftit said:

Oh that is going to happen here for sure.  It's like NZ looks around for all the f**k ups, takes notes, then files it incorrectly in the 'Do this' folder.

And that is regardless of political persuasion. It really does seem there is a race to the bottom - "they did this, we can't do any worse! Oh. Look at that... Who would have thought that could happen?"

I'd rent it out as a kart track or as a drift burnout pad, its not as bad as that new airport they showed on top-gear years ago,

• Haha 1

Customs stopped my parts order.
It's unfortunately just over $1000NZD.

I must provide them with my Customer Number if I have one or apply for a new one.  I have one but need to confirm the details in the background are correct.
They state this process takes 3 business days.  DHL told me it has been taking them a lot longer.
So it took 4 days including the weekend to arrive from ESTONIA.  It's now going to sit at DHL until customs decides to reply to me.  I am betting I don't see this package until the end of next week.

If these parts were not nearly 3 x the price or substandard brands in NZ I would almost be deterred from buying them overseas.

• Sad 1

I swear all Tesla drivers ive come across cant drive for sh*t in every aspect of operating a vehicle. Maybe its Hamilton thing but i somehow doubt it.

35 minutes ago, Driftit said:

They state this process takes 3 business days.  DHL told me it has been taking them a lot longer.

Added 3 or 4 days to delivery when i did mine a few years ago so probably about right.

Love it.  DHL charges $7 per item on the waybill if there are more than 5 items.  I have 11 items.  Some are only $11NZD.  They are slapping them with a $7 processing fee.

The bonus.  This is a hidden fee.  They do not itemize it on your "Duty" bill.  They do not mention it anywhere I can find on their website either.

Check this out.  So it was about $1500NZD.

GST on Importation = 231.00
Entry Fee GST = 11.99
Entry Fee = 79.90
Multiline Entry = 48.30
Duty Tax Processing = 23.00

Edited by Driftit
  • Sad 1

That's exactly what I've been through a few weeks ago. Had to pay about 400 for gst, duty and processing fee on a package that costed 1400. Caught me off guard. I would've seriously considered SMF conversion if I knew this earlier...

Used You Shop by NZ Post. Total order, $48, You Shop delivery cost, $38 including GST. Very nearly made it price competitive to buy here l. They state 0-500gm, $13.50, each additional 500gm, $13.50. Further down the state minimum 1kg, my package weight was 150gm. Read the fine print I guess, but never again.

• Sad 1

I stopped using them years ago due to a similar experience. It seems importing goods in a cost effective way has gotten much more narrow over the last few years. Just means everyone pays more. And trash like temu succeeds and in turn costs the country millions. 

1 hour ago, Driftit said:

I stopped using them years ago due to a similar experience. It seems importing goods in a cost effective way has gotten much more narrow over the last few years. Just means everyone pays more. And trash like temu succeeds and in turn costs the country millions. 

I know what you mean, but there are still some times it works out. Mate just got quoted $2,760 + GST for parts for a 2013 Volvo, I could land them for $975. Not through You Shop.

On 6/18/2024 at 2:53 PM, Driftit said:

Love it.  DHL charges $7 per item on the waybill if there are more than 5 items.  I have 11 items.  Some are only $11NZD.  They are slapping them with a $7 processing fee.

The bonus.  This is a hidden fee.  They do not itemize it on your "Duty" bill.  They do not mention it anywhere I can find on their website either.

Check this out.  So it was about $1500NZD.

GST on Importation = 231.00
Entry Fee GST = 11.99
Entry Fee = 79.90
Multiline Entry = 48.30
Duty Tax Processing = 23.00

They are a $&@$ nightmare to deal with. Had a set of tyres held up for two weeks waiting on documentation. Countless calls to try and get things moving.

Turns out they need a copy of the purchase docs so sent those through, took another three days to process.

Tyres arrived and found the documents they were after where actually attached to the tyres. 

• Like 1

Was driving around Auckland cbd the other day... Very confusing. 30k speed limit - but I can now understand that. People are completely unaware of how roads works! They walk around so self entitled, looking at their phone with their ear pods in oblivious to the fact cars are on the road and they should not be. We are empowering these f**kwits by lowering the speed limit so when the inevitable happens and one of these special people walk out in front of a moving car they might live. I'm not sure we need them...

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Looking to buy something that is readily available in the US, but not in NZ. No worries. eBay!

$135

Shipping...? Depending on who, it's USD100-200 ! Buy price of USD135; shipping is nearly as much. :(

image.png.c8f90eb96fd2e20fe9d11ad226e2abc2.png

1 hour ago, gjm said:

Looking to buy something that is readily available in the US, but not in NZ. No worries. eBay!

$135

Shipping...? Depending on who, it's USD100-200 ! Buy price of USD135; shipping is nearly as much. :(

image.png.c8f90eb96fd2e20fe9d11ad226e2abc2.png

Oh that’s nothing. 
$4.80 item, $40.26 shipping.

• Sad 2

Ebay !! Just all of it ... it's a complete dumpster fire in the modern age. Feels like I'm stuck in the age of Nutscrape Navigator !!!

12 hours ago, Cement said:

Ebay !! Just all of it ... it's a complete dumpster fire in the modern age. Feels like I'm stuck in the age of Nutscrape Navigator !!!

Sourcing parts in general to NZ is a lot of effort. I would estimate that when I'm buying parts I spend about 4 times longer working out the cheapest combination of parts + shipping + GST + import duties than I do actually researching what parts I need to buy. It results in some seemingly non-sensical combinations. E.g. when ordering parts for CSL intake recently it was cheaper to order the CSL dipstick tube by itself from Turner, than it was to include in the rest of my package coming from Schmiedmann.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/523154/nzta-employee-traded-motorists-private-information-to-gang-members-for-meth

So I've opted my vehicles out of public data. How can I opt out of NZTA staff being able to access it? Ffs.

• Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Driftit said:

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/523154/nzta-employee-traded-motorists-private-information-to-gang-members-for-meth

So I've opted my vehicles out of public data. How can I opt out of NZTA staff being able to access it? Ffs.

the MOST disturbing aspect of that article is it did not describe the offender as a "former employee of NZTA".  For such such serious misconduct she should have been sacked.  Immediately.  Why was the Privacy Commissioner not asked for comment in the story - lazy pisstake journalists.  The employee can never be trusted again to access such information again.

A massive breach of trust for the pubic in a government organisation, NZTA again a bloody failure.  

Jesus, it's PII - Personally Identifiable Information - which usually classifies as at least CONFIDENTIAL. For access to data of this classification, there's usually risk assessment carried out (Privacy Impact Assessment) on the data and and Security Risk Assessment of systems used to store it; and of the people who have access to the data - a security clearance, which is updated periodically.  It is up to the holder to report any change in circumstances to their privacy and security officer, such as "I'm now dating a Gang Member" or "I engage in dogging" or "I like to make a quick buck by selling data".  

/rant

For those interested, plenty to learn on the subject here: https://www.protectivesecurity.govt.nz/classification

Edited by Olaf
PIA, SRA

1 hour ago, Driftit said:

Interesting ... here is some reading about opting out, and the link to do it:

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicles/how-the-motor-vehicle-register-affects-you/who-can-access-register-information/

https://transact.nzta.govt.nz/transactions/PersonalInfoAccess/entry