Apex

Quick rant thread.

AA Insurance.

With them for 5 years, only claim I've ever had was a chip in the windscreen 3 years ago that didn't even need a full replacement.

Policy renewal documents dropped in the inbox.

Yearly premium goes up by $100 whilst dropping the agreed value of the car down to $5.8k, a drop of 23%.

Nevermind the excessive maintenance and modifications, go find any 6-cylinder E46 Touring for any sort of money, let alone sub $6k.

Getting the car evaluated in the next few weeks and going with someone else.

Useless pricks.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Vass said:

Useless pricks.

That was always going to be the result wasn't it? AA Classic insurance were fine with the value i had on my W140, but E46's are too modern for these classic policies at various providers when i was asking.

Star insurance was the only decent option i could find. My premium has gone from $585>$619>$680\$720(+3.5k valuation) in 2 years and that's casual\hobby usage rate. Its going on 3rd party at the end of the year if i still have it, not worth it to me.

The premiums going up isn't the shocking part. The fact that they at the same time devalued the car by that much as well is an absolute pisstake though.

It’s not that bad, mine went down in value about 11% and up in premium about 14-15% from memory. My in laws went up 39% with zero claims.

The insurance companies have never stopped their backdoor campaigns to have motor insurance made compulsory. With rate hikes like these, more and more people will simply not bother.

The rate hikes being seen now are in part due to Cyclone Gabrielle. Company underwriting in most cases happened a couple of months after Gabrielle blew through, right in the middle of some of the most expensive (to the insurance companies ) period of claims in their history. Underwriting costs went through the roof, and the companies are looking to recoup their costs by raising premiums across the board.

• Like 1

Yup, have a bad year hike the prices up. Funny how premiums don’t drop when those same companies have made massive profits in a good year.

Insurance Companies /endof

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Vass said:

The premiums going up isn't the shocking part. The fact that they at the same time devalued the car by that much as well is an absolute pisstake though.

Probably plugged it into some calculator no doubt. To be fair the average E46 325i auto is around that mark, they wouldnt have a clue that tourings are worth a chunk more. We know mainstream places never seem to care to really care\want to know about condition either.

I have not had a problem insuring any of my cars with Classic Cover, even after selling my early 90's "classic" which was the first vehicle I insured with them. 

Don't forget that compulsory $500 EQC levy that was slapped onto all House insurance.  I was stoked to find out about that one.  That and my $4000 rates where I receive so much f**k all it's not funny.

Classic Cover has been great for me for 3 cars and 2 bikes.  However I am stuck with AA for the other 3 cars.  Classic cover is worth a try if you have something a little more rare or special.  They even do lay up and transport insurance for my racecar and it's only about $240 per year.

Edited by Driftit

My car insurance with MAS actually went down this year and the agreed value stayed the same which was a nice surprise.

The agreed value on mine is $7500 which probably isn't enough to replace it like for like since 330i wagons are pretty rare but is as good as I am going to get for an E46.

1 hour ago, Hazzy said:

My car insurance with MAS actually went down this year and the agreed value stayed the same which was a nice surprise.

The agreed value on mine is $7500 which probably isn't enough to replace it like for like since 330i wagons are pretty rare but is as good as I am going to get for an E46.

If it's an agreed value policy then set the value at a figure you agree with. I always adjust mine each year, precisely because their estimate doesn't gel with the market. AA insurance wont bat an eyelid if you want to insure for more than they suggest.

59 minutes ago, TonyT said:

If it's an agreed value policy then set the value at a figure you agree with. I always adjust mine each year, precisely because their estimate doesn't gel with the market. AA insurance wont bat an eyelid if you want to insure for more than they suggest.

I basically just set it to the max amount they were willing to insure it for without going to any extra effort which was close enough.
So for mine it isn’t super far off the actual value since it's an auto, the main problem I would have is that I wouldn’t be able to find a replacement for the car at all since the tourings aren’t very common.

Edited by Hazzy

1 hour ago, Hazzy said:

I wouldn’t be able to find a replacement for the car at all since the tourings aren’t very common

Even if you found one it would likely be in worse condition. Always going to loose to insurance with these type of cars if you have anything that better than average.

57 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Even if you found one it would likely be in worse condition. Always going to loose to insurance with these type of cars if you have anything that better than average.

Yeah can't really put a price on the stupid amount of hours spent on it.

3 hours ago, TonyT said:

AA has an upper limit on what you can set without having to go through the hassle of contacting them directly. In my case it was $8,350 with a yearly premium of $1,040.

Just played around with the calculator on the MAS website @Hazzy mentioned and there didn't seem to be an upper limit, not for getting a quote anyway. Put in $15,000 for shits and giggles and the yearly premium came out to $980...

In conclusion, f**k AA.

All my insurances have gone up significantly this/last year, with State who were the cheapest at the time.  So, it's not just AA.

Unfortunately for AA, they weren't offering anything over what State offer me and weren't willing to negotiate.

My Mrs car has jumped up from $470ish to $590ish at AMI. I shopped around and the quote from AA (as a member) was $900! None of the online ones came in cheaper, so I just renewed it.

More annoyingly... the house insurance is up $600 on last year!

One for the ute files 😂 Literally every car in the car park bar maybe 3...

20240205_134342.jpg

• Haha 2

Love me a ute.  As long is it is on fire.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 2/2/2024 at 12:50 PM, Allanw said:

My Mrs car has jumped up from $470ish to $590ish at AMI. I shopped around and the quote from AA (as a member) was $900! None of the online ones came in cheaper, so I just renewed it.

More annoyingly... the house insurance is up $600 on last year!

Has anyone tried Cove for car insurance?  Shopping around after receiving the same shock - from Tower = up from something like 640 to 880 on the family shopping trolley is outrageous.  And that is after raising the excess last year post a fairly hefty increase in 2023.  Cove came out the cheapest.  All the others were close to or a lot more than Tower.  Cove seemed one of those 'too good to be true, probably is' moments.

31 minutes ago, Bruski said:

People tell me to stop reading the Guardian, but every now and again.....comedy gold:

Parisians vote in favour of tripling parking costs for SUVs | Paris | The Guardian

Captures your Audi and most mid sized cars.  Plus a big chunk of evs. 

Typically lazy French!

3 hours ago, kwhelan said:

clear choice, only 5.7% voted,bloody greens

I know, clear change. 
54.6% of 5.7% of the voters, or 3.11% of the total.