Kees

E39 M5 For Sale

12 hours ago, Vass said:

What the hell is up with those misaligned tailpipes? Cannot unsee it.

Funny you say that, I have seen this before on factory pipes, but this looks rather extreme! 

Interesting how it is being marketed by a dealer from Christchurch. It was owned by the infamous Cantabrian eye doctor who’s associates brokered a deal to sell it to a car enthusiast from Auckland a few months  ago. He in turn sold it to a friend of his in Auckland after a few weeks. Now up for sale again. The majority sold around the world were in Carbon black. However this is the only example in jet black known of the 35-40 sold in NZ new.  

On 7/21/2023 at 7:36 PM, C-130 Hercules said:

But what's up with the prominent display of the date?!

That's standard. Can scroll other info or have it blank.

With a little more effort on simple cosmetics they could ask that sort of money, but the louder vanos noise could get expensive...

• Like 1

On 7/22/2023 at 1:38 AM, Vass said:

As an added bonus, the factory strut bar has also gone off for a wander somewhere, because weight reduction.

Front strut brace was added from March 2002 production onwards. Given this is an '02 it's possible it didn't come with one from the factory.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Karter16 said:

Front strut brace was added from March 2002 production onwards. Given this is an '02 it's possible it didn't come with one from the factory.

Ahh right, didn't know that. My bad. 

Actually the strut brace is missing on the M3 because this is actually a Dec 01 car- missed having a brace by 3 months. 

Here's the reason that m5 is so rough: it sat outside with the window slightly open for about 3 or so years. Found it there 5 years ago and knocked on the door and the guy didn't want to sell.

At that point it had already been there for 2 years i think because he said it wasn't running right. I told him to at least close the window but he seemed pretty grumpy.

IMG_8483.jpeg

IMG_8484.jpeg

IMG_8485.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

Unacceptable at the price point.

I guess he was too busy attempting murders 🤷‍♂️

1671470511432.jpg

Edited by Neil McCauley

25 minutes ago, Neil McCauley said:

I guess he was too busy attempting murders 🤷‍♂️

1671470511432.jpg

Holy sh*t that's the place yea. I never knew haha

Don't quote me on this (went into my Trademe archives) but I think this was his "Red Porsche" prior to his ownership. 

I must say, 997.2 GT3 is proper taste....

IMG_3037.PNG

Holly invasion of privacy Batman!
Shocking the things you can learn from google streetview.  A mafia boss, on the run for 20 years, was caught after being spotted on steetview. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jan/05/italian-mafia-fugitive-arrested-in-spain-after-google-maps-sighting

(sorry for off topic)

• Haha 2

Shouldn't park your car on the driveway - they should be safely nestled in the garage.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Simca said:

Here's the reason that m5 is so rough: it sat outside with the window slightly open for about 3 or so years. Found it there 5 years ago and knocked on the door and the guy didn't want to sell.

At that point it had already been there for 2 years i think because he said it wasn't running right. I told him to at least close the window but he seemed pretty grumpy.

IMG_8483.jpeg

IMG_8484.jpeg

IMG_8485.jpegIronically, those who have seen the car in recent times claim that the exterior has been brought back to satisfactory levels - the interior, however, needs some love. From what I have heard about this cat was that he just drove his cars - and didn't care for their presentation. From personal opinion and experience, I think the E39 interiors are relatively resilient. Most of these cars have been cherished by multiple owners - and look good 25 years later.  Their build quality is solid. 

On 7/22/2023 at 1:38 AM, Vass said:

Yeah, typical. They've also got an "ICONIC M CAR - 6-SPEED MANUAL - CLEAN UNMODIFIED" M3 that was clearly SMG from factory. That, with the swirled up paintjob and horrifically scratched up interior plastics can be yours today at a bargain price of $55k. As an added bonus, the factory strut bar has also gone off for a wander somewhere, because weight reduction.

Looked at this car today, intending to buy the M5. It's really in rough shape, even the wheel caps are totally destroyed. You think the dealer would replace them at a cost of 40 dollarydoos. The SMG paddles missing off the steering wheel stand out like dogs bollocks. Little wonder it hasn't sold for several months.

Thanks to other members who saved me from buying the e39, this forum finally helped me 😁

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ecko_complex said:

You think the dealer would replace them at a cost of 40 dollarydoos

If these threads are anything to go by car dealers never replace any worn trim pieces it seems. Along with the big markup you get a wash, vacuum, silicon spray and maybe some sort of paint correction if you lucky.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The second "executive spec" nz new M5 finally rears its head. https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/m5/listing/4507767814

A real shame they had the poverty pack rock-hard standard E39 seats instead of the supremely comfortable E38 chairs - you can tell the difference by the much wider head rests in the E38 spec chairs. Chrome trim does the E39 no favours either.

@balancerider see above for pics of your spot today...

1 hour ago, Neil McCauley said:

The second "executive spec" nz new M5 finally rears its head. https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/m5/listing/4507767814

A real shame they had the poverty pack rock-hard standard E39 seats instead of the supremely comfortable E38 chairs - you can tell the difference by the much wider head rests in the E38 spec chairs. Chrome trim does the E39 no favours either.

@balancerider see above for pics of your spot today...

Ah the infamous ophthalmologist’s car @Neil McCauley. Only got a brief look at it and black doesn’t really do the e39 any favours but seems to have had a tidy up since the above pics.

edit: also, surely sell your m6 ahead of the m5 

Edited by balancerider

Yes, the other e39 M5 we know of with ‘comfort seats’ is the pre LCI version in Imola red that resides in Auckland. Interestingly enough, the black leather / titanium trim has become the most popular option to have amongst the 2nd hand market. Titanium trim was originally the ‘poverty pack’ option. 

Probably the same situation with other BMW's around the time period eg E46, E90, E60 etc. Just looks out of place to me on more modern stuff.