Sign in to follow this  
Kees

FOR SALE $4K: LCI BMW 130i

Evening everyone, 

A wave of rational judgement and an adult-like level of responsibility has appeared to have washed over me in the last few days, and I have decided to put my 2008 BMW 130i up for sale to Bimmersport members. I would like to see the car go to an enthusiast who can either daily it, or do something cool with it!  

Bought it on a whim just over a month ago because I've never owned a straight six BMW (somehow), and the 130i has been a car on my ultimate daily driver bucket list since I was about 12. I've done 1000ks in it, so I feel I can tick it off my list now as I already have two other daily drivers, and too many weekend toys (as some of you will know), so I genuinely have no use for this car. 

So anyway, enough waffle, here are the details you want to know:

2008 BMW 130i

Automatic 

250,700 km 

Le Mans Blue

WOF until 28/07/2023

Rego until 21/10/2023 

Rare(ish?) Style 216 Wheels (they do genuinely get frequent compliments)

2 Keys

AC blows nice and cold

Heated Seats work a treat

Transmission Serviced 

Was also told by previous owner that water pump & coils have been done prior to him, can't find any paper-work but given the ks and the fact the car runs really nicely, I am inclined to believe him. 

Tyres are fine - front has lots of tread, rears have a bit less but should still easily pass WOF. 

Car drives great, no funny vibrations, engine pulls well and sounds good - found a set of poly bushes in the boot so I think it may have been enthusiast owned in the past. Here I will insert the cliche "you wouldn't be able to tell its done this many ks unless you looked at the odometer"

No warning lights, however the car is due an oil change. Bonnet gas struts are also tired - can throw in a free stick. 

Cosmetically the car presents well, but also has its fair share of scars consistent with the mileage (if you look past the front bumper). There is NO clear coat peel and the paint is generally quite nice. There's a few carpark dents here and there, scrape on the corner of the rear bumper and the typical rock chips but the dark Le Mans blue hides most of it well.

Now to talk about the ugly elephant in the room - the front bumper - its pretty rooted. Paint is coming off and the splitter is cracked. The going rate for an E87 M Sport bumper seems to be around the $300-$400 mark, so you would just need to wait for a Le Mans blue one to come up and then the car would be relatively tidy all things considered. You could also just hit it with some colour matched paint as a temporary fix to cover the glaring areas of paint damage. There's also a dent in the bonnet just below the badge - luckily its quite symmetrical so is less prone to triggering OCD. 

Given the higher than average ks, need of an oil change and the fact the front bumper looks rougher than the NZ economy at the moment, I am pricing it at $4,000. 

Budget abut $500 for a new bumper and a DIY oil change and its a pretty nice car - especially being LCI and in the best 130i colour... with the best wheels, in my non biased opinion... obviously ;)

1303175984_IMG_45202.thumb.JPG.49887518c8032fae99dff6fd8e2204fc.JPG

1595723488_IMG_45152.thumb.JPG.55594e4fa572885938788e884dddada2.JPG

IMG_4522.thumb.JPG.4bf9e871bcecbdaf22f9375aa23b889e.JPG

2060509496_IMG_45232.thumb.JPG.f287692b7979c9e53c4d690f677181cc.JPG

IMG_4521.thumb.JPG.056dacfae65bc5b09ef7c56942422ed0.JPG

IMG_4517.thumb.JPG.41281faf01ddfb1d76c804e755cfa715.JPG

89615844_IMG_45192.thumb.JPG.83684e55ab7b2a3fc0a9295bad970a9f.JPG

IMG_4524.JPG

IMG_4525 2.JPG

• Like 9

I am tempted, at 250k how much life is left in it, would be my thought. If its been well maintained lots more I would hope?

Probably plenty if you prepared to throw some money at refreshing that usual areas

21 hours ago, Herbmiester said:

I am tempted, at 250k how much life is left in it, would be my thought. If its been well maintained lots more I would hope?

Obviously I am heavily biased because I:

1)    Own the car

2)    Have a 540i with 378,000km, Boxster with 230,000km and W8 Passat with 249,000km.

But I quite like high mileage cars, and I typically judge a car based on how it drives, looks and its paper trail, rather than the number in the cluster.  

There are obviously limits to this tactic depending on the car and its value; e.g: A higher mileage, older M car I would not buy solely on how it drives/looks, I would want to see work/checks done to rod-bearings, subframe, SMG pump etc (depending on what car it is). But within this logic, I find a lot of higher mileage cars have had high quality, and regular maintenance done for them to achieve the mileage they have, and are often more mechanically sound than some "low ks" examples.  

When I bought the 130i, the “rational” thought process was; these are meant to be relatively reliable, this one is roughly half the price of a low ks auto LCI, it drives nicely, but even if something catastrophic were to happen, I could sell the wheels, catalytic converters and scrap the rest to recuperate at least $2K, so there’s not really a tonne of financial risk.

I felt it was far outweighed by the performance, refinement, quality, sound and stylish looks the 130i provides.

I also think since most 130i examples are from Japan, they are all lower ks, so we aren’t used to seeing ones with 200,000km+ on them, whereas a large amount of E46s/E39s/E60s are north of 200,000km, 250,000km and even 300,000km in some instances.

N52 has no direct injection, no high pressure fuel pump, no turbos, and is a 3.0L Straight Six making 265hp - so its not overly stressed. The transmission I believe is a ZF box and is also meant to be quite reliable. I think its more the electrics of an E87 which tend to be problematic - which I feel is more prone to effect cars of any mileage, than strictly higher ks ones.

But anyway, that's my 2 cents worth as an owner of 1 month - happy for the floor to be opened to 130i owners as there are quite a few here who can provide far better insights and opinion than I can. Don't hold back, give your honest thoughts! 

Edited by Kees
  • Like 2

I've have plenty of 300K+ cars, that you'd not know by driving them (including plenty is a rental fleet I managed). Plenty of shitters with much less too! One 90's Legacy had 425K when I left the company, and I'd run it dry of coolant once and it still didn't use a drop of oil between changes... and had the arse thrashed off it by me and my manager before me.

Our old 320d is now in the hands of @_ethrty-Andy_ and going strong. At 500000km+.

OK, it's a diesel, but I know it is far from unique.

My old 530i, same engine as this, has over 300k km and still going strong. 

Edited by Kodachrome

I saw a 130i on faceballs with 300,000 miles... never had the engine opened.

GLWS, thats dirt cheap... I want the wheels. 

1 hour ago, Neil McCauley said:

Just seen the ad on instagram, quality work as always @Kees 🤣

Haha yeah that's my boss who does those videos - doesn't compare to the "good old Aussie muscle"... apparently 

It's probably now one of the most viral 130i's in the world! 

Was quite funny to watch him rant about the cupholder, unfortunately he couldn't experience the best bit of the 130i - the driving experience - because he's lost his license! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

SOLD

UPDATE: I just SOLD the car. Buyer is a fellow BMW enthusiast and lover of high mileage cars. Had a very tasty M-Sport F01 730D which I got to drive, very glad the car has gone to him. 

His previous BMWs include an E38 750iL, F10 M-Sport 535i Touring (which unfortunately got flooded) and 318iS Manual. 

He said the wheels + Le Mans Blue drew him to the car, and he found it by filtering by BMWs, -> highest mileage on Trademe when he was bored. 

Edited by Kees
  • Like 3

Probably worth more now it’s an internets sensation!

• Haha 5

Haha yeah classic bogan Ford\Holden driver

On 3/18/2023 at 11:29 PM, Jacko said:

... I want the wheels. 

Got a set available in 335i offsets if you are keen :D SOLD !!!!

Cheers...

Style 216 wheels 01.jpg

Edited by jon dee
Sold
  • Like 1

SOLD... SOLD... SOLD    $500 plus shipping ex Wellington. They are not concours but plenty good enough for a daily driver. I've cleaned them and smoothed out some minor curbing as you get with used wheels. Had planned to use them on a build that never happened, and they are a bit "sporty" for my conservative 2008 3-series. So happy to see them go to a good home :)

Cheers...

Style 216 wheels 03.jpg

Edited by jon dee
Sold

On 3/25/2023 at 1:33 PM, jon dee said:

Got a set available in 335i offsets if you are keen :D

Cheers...

Style 216 wheels 01.jpg

Staggered or 8 inch square set?

1 hour ago, Bandit said:

Staggered or 8 inch square set?

Staggered, but they have been sold and shipped to a new owner. Sorry about that.

Cheers... 

Well unfortunately my [former], and probably the world's most viral 130i is no longer....

New owner unfortunately wrote it off. He had just detailed it too, engine bay looks immaculate. 

If anyone wants a set of 216s, there you go....

716431444_ScreenShot2023-05-31at7_11_07PM.thumb.png.bd5ce149f858ebe6fae477c91384ab36.png

https://www.manheim.co.nz/damaged-vehicles/000000000006666054/2008-bmw-130i-hatch?referringPage=SearchResults

• Sad 4