Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

Tore out a bunch of useless auto crap. Spilt a heap of ATF on the shed floor. Cleaned it up while muttering under my breath about Jatco. Wondered how to get the last two bellhousing bolts & starter bolts out. Gave up and drank beer.

whats the problem , are you using the correct size torx sockets 12 and 14 , i use a 2 foot plus long extension , drop the back of the box down and a power bar and away you go .

dont forget to undo the torque convertor bolts first

whats the problem , are you using the correct size torx sockets 12 and 14 , i use a 2 foot plus long extension , drop the back of the box down and a power bar and away you go .

dont forget to undo the torque convertor bolts first

Yup, grabbed a set of Torx sockets from Sulco in anticipation. Just grumpy & sore after 9 hours under the car (yes, I know I'm slow!) plus I wanted a beer.

What's the trick with getting the starter bolts? Is t worth tapping a thread into the Getrag bellhousing to make it easier next time? Or will the alloy not stand up to the torque?

On the touring, evened up the rear height so now sits level and the rears fit without rubbage. Just waiting for a new battery now to take it for a test ride.

Yup, grabbed a set of Torx sockets from Sulco in anticipation. Just grumpy & sore after 9 hours under the car (yes, I know I'm slow!) plus I wanted a beer.

What's the trick with getting the starter bolts? Is t worth tapping a thread into the Getrag bellhousing to make it easier next time? Or will the alloy not stand up to the torque?

are you holding the nut on the other end of the bolt?

are you holding the nut on the other end of the bolt?

Starter bolts put up little resistance. The clever lads in Germany used nuts with a 'stepped' pattern on the underside of the nut so it grips the mounting surface better. Not taking as much force to crack them as I thought, just sucks when you realise you've missed two studs at the top of the bellhousing when ya think you've got them all out. Not sure how I'm gonna squeeze my arm up to get 'em but that's a problem for another day.

Oh well. Nobody said it was gonna be easy!

what are you doing??? the whole job to get the box off is only about 30min once you lower it down

exhaust off first , drive shaft off , lower the box down , use very long extensions ,

power bars etc to get at all the torx bolts

3 17MM torque convertor bolts first

1 10mm on the tin plate between the engine and trans

undo the 3 small 3 14 size at the bottom of the trans

then the 2 starter ones 2 12 size for the starter motor (and nuts on the other side if its a 1195 or older model) its tight to get a spanner in there but not imposible.

then the 4 large 10 size atthe side and top of the trans ,

then slide the trans back

yes car will sit 20-25mm higher in the front now

Got a parcel of goodies from the states. Lots of suspension parts for a bit of a refresh, as previous owners seem to have neglected this aspect rather. :)

New top mounts all around and reinforcement plates, bump stops, front end links. 02 sensors, Peake Tool.

Started with new 02 sensors and resetting fault codes. Went for a drive and didn't come back, so good news there. (touch wood)

Obligatory irrelevant photos:

quicjtw5.qou.jpg
54h2ydbz.4nd.jpg
swt4kkw2.ser.jpg

Little test with the ECU running in it's soft mode, with a few tweaks it can run harder but wheel spins easier.

Never the less seems to get up to 100 in around 6 seconds.

• Like 1

Got most of the engine back together, all that's left is the air filter and the radiator + coolant =D
280qpva.jpg

Also my friend went and bought a 2002 E46 330ci M, this has made me extremely jealous.

2h2jrfd.png

Edited by Ultrarandom

Took it for a drive earlier and caught up with my mate and his new 330ci clubsport

Bugger - had my eye on that 330ci for the Mrs!!

I reached an important turning point, stopped taking sh*t apart to clean it and started putting bits back together again. whoop!

Sent one of them to BMWorkshop for service @ 280000kms. Nothing major to report.

Bugger - had my eye on that 330ci for the Mrs!!

I reached an important turning point, stopped taking sh*t apart to clean it and started putting bits back together again. whoop!

Bugger! It's a nice car, pretty tidy for 168,000kms

One owner, fully service history.

Keeps up with the V8 :)

Sent one of them to BMWorkshop for service @ 280000kms. Nothing major to report.

so you swapped an E46 into an E30 but you send you car to someone else for a service??

Little test with the ECU running in it's soft mode, with a few tweaks it can run harder but wheel spins easier.

Never the less seems to get up to 100 in around 6 seconds.

I wonder where the autobahn in New Zealand is

I wonder where the autobahn in New Zealand is

Southwestern Motorway at 0300 on a Monday :ph34r:

• Like 1