Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

Also keen on cowling! Done everything thing else on my M

Yep, having the whole lot recovered, including the b pillars which have no material from the factory. They reckon it will be 5 hours worth of work so including material I'm looking at about $500 for the lot. I'm using Audi S5 material (charcoal grey) because the BMW black was just too dark for my tastes. Of course it remains to be seen how it will turn out but it can't look worse than it was!

Removing everything took me about an hour.

And yes, do let me know when you get costs for the cowling, I'm keen to do that and new seems to be the way to go there. I thought it might be more complicated but that DIY seems simple enough.

Cowling quoted from JC BMW $120+gst. Have said yes, and they're getting it in Thursday, so I'll do the install and let you know how it goes.

Any idea if there are different ones for LHD and RHD cars? My assumption would be yes because wipers are mirror imaged. Almost ordered it from the states but couldn't find out whether they were drive side specific.

Good to hear about that re-upholstering. Seems reasonable pricewise. I'd love to see it once it was done. I haaaaaaaaate the finish on the B pillar, so it'd be great to get that covered up.

No idea on the LHD/RHD question sorry but $120+ seems reasonable to get rid of that eyesore. Do the two pieces come with the rubber bit attached or is that a separate part? Mine is all cracked.

I've just installed the headliner, shelf and pillars so you're welcome to have a look any time! Came to $551 because he had to do a little extra prep but for 8 pieces I think that's okay.

The result looks great and I'm very happy to get rid of the staples in the roof and that terrible purple rear tray! Matching pillars is a good bonus. It's a bitch to get it all back in though.

I went for a charcoal colour and used flash new Audi material, I think it works really well. I like that the b pillars are covered now but that exacerbates the slow retracting seat belt issue... not enough to bother me (yet).

I'll post some pics in my project thread when the light is better.

On to the next expense... vacuum leak (smoke) test tomorrow, let's see what that throws up.

I have shed blood and tears getting some of those interior trim panels back in place in past.

I somehow managed to make the belt retraction thing worse on mine when i pulled off the b pillar trim to replace rear quarter window seals. It is a bit annoying.

This is the part I am talking about. Looking through the pictures here, seems to suggest that little rubber/plastic seal is a part of the piece itself. I'll report back once I have my hot hands on it for real.

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E36-M3-S50_3.0L/Search/SiteSearch/Cowl/ES2587342/

• Like 1

Some red Toyota Trueno rear-ended my car while I had it parked in the city, and then drove off without leaving details. Passer-by saw what happened, took the offender's plates down and left me a note on my windscreen. Left quite a few scratches on my rare bumper, so will need a repaint. Hopefully didn't do any structural damage inside.

Have already called the police to take down the details of the offender and the witness. Will pop by the station sometime tomorrow to file a report.

Kind of annoying as another Toyota had rear ended the bumper few months ago and I had it repainted back then as well. -.-

Offender: CEP952

Some red Toyota Trueno rear-ended my car while I had it parked in the city, and then drove off without leaving details. Passer-by saw what happened, took the offender's plates down and left me a note on my windscreen. Left quite a few scratches on my rare bumper, so will need a repaint. Hopefully didn't do any structural damage inside.

Have already called the police to take down the details of the offender and the witness. Will pop by the station sometime tomorrow to file a report.

Kind of annoying as another Toyota had rear ended the bumper few months ago and I had it repainted back then as well. -.-

Offender: CEP952

Scum of the earth!

keep checking my emails waiting for a reply from the guy selling my old E36, want it back so badly but no reply in 5 days =(

Something very minor has bugged me since I bought the car. Every time I accelerated in any kind of spirited fashion (or less-spirited up a hill) the sunroof shade panel slid open... Not because of the immense torque, because it was too loose. Finally got round to fixing it with a bit of padded tape in each corner to provide a bit of friction.

Time will tell how long it will last.

post-16586-0-78080900-1393462306.jpg

• Like 1

Picked up buffer off boat and dragged out my 3M polishes ready to attack the Audi to make her presentable for Bastion Point on Sunday. Truth be told I am mostly looking forward to the view and dragging a nice coffee along.

Usual Audi- centric post, but VASK is a piece of sh*t forum and I'm loyal to BS.

^... which vehicle are you lifting? :mellow:

Sent the car for a wheel alignment and front wheel balancing. was getting a little too wobbly.

Edited by The Juggernaut

^... which vehicle are you lifting? :mellow:

The 525i :D When I rebuilt the front suspension, I fitted a 10mm strut spacer (like a small version of the ones on the rough road versions). I'm fitting a 10mm one to the rear now, to match. It had factory M-technic Sport suspension, and it's just a touch too low sometimes, and it needs to match the front arch gap anyway. I just fitted a set of Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin RE002's too, so I'll sort out the lift, and get it all aligned. They're fricken awesome tyres! Feels like a new car!

keep checking my emails waiting for a reply from the guy selling my old E36, want it back so badly but no reply in 5 days =(

M3 or the 328?

cant seem to quote your post without it f**king up but the 328I man =) Finally got his number so ill go view it next week

Nasty cracks in the rear upper section of the subframe mount hard points, time for some extra Mike style OCD upper reinforcements!

IMG_2222.jpg

IMG_2221.jpg
  • Like 1

Just finished replacing windscreen cowling.

Was a little more effort that expected. Took me a while to get the wipers off their taper because someone had clearly overtightened the nuts previously. Had to partially remove the bonnet also to get the corners of the panel in correctly. ~4 hours in the end (ridiculous I know)

Here is the end result:

jgr3safh.r1r.jpg

Yay pretty

Dang, you have to loosen the bonnet? Bummer but it does look good. What part numbers? Did you need new clips of any description?

There are six screw clips on the top, and four little white push clips underneath. A few of the pushclips were missing on mine, but i managed to fish them out of where the last people in there had dropped them.

All my screwclips were fine, so you're probably unlikely to need new ones of those, but it'd probably be worth getting a few of the pushclips in case yours are missing.

In the guide i was following, no, he did not need to loosen the bonnet. The realities once I was doing it meant there was no way of getting the corner clip in without either grinding it down, or loosening the bonnet off. One side of mine went in fine, but the other was never going to go in without intervention, for one reason or another.

Turned out the bonnet part wasn't very hard, probably just should've done that in the first place.

P/N for cowling: 51711977678

Edited by duvey
  • Like 1

CAD mock up of a rear strut & subframe hard point brace for my coupé... I think it shall do the trick

Subframe_Strut_brace_design_1.jpg

Strut attachments still need work.

Edited by Michael.
  • Like 1

Thats a serious piece of reinforcement!

I attempted to put the stock suspension back (M-Sport II) in my E39 and failed getting the rears in.

Tried using spring compressors (didn't really help) and pulling down on the hub to get the bottom spigot thing mounted but wasn't able to get the whole assembly down far enough to get it in.

Any pointers? I remember gettig it out was a breeze too <_<

• Like 2

I used a breaker bar with the right size socket on the the nut/bolt just below the hub, pushed down so I was tightening the bolt/ nut depending on the side of the car and held it down with my leg worked a treat

Thats a serious piece of reinforcement!

I attempted to put the stock suspension back (M-Sport II) in my E39 and failed getting the rears in.

Tried using spring compressors (didn't really help) and pulling down on the hub to get the bottom spigot thing mounted but wasn't able to get the whole assembly down far enough to get it in.

Any pointers? I remember gettig it out was a breeze too <_<

Try prying down on the lower control arm with a crow bar while someone else wiggles the lower shock mount in place. From memory you need to disconnect the rear sway bar to allow each lower control arm to swing down further. Edited by BreakMyWindow

As above, take off sway bar mounts. Mine pretty much fell in. Mines I not II though.

As above, take off sway bar mounts. Mine pretty much fell in. Mines I not II though.

Forgot I did the links instead of the mounts and used a bottle jack to line everything back up, but yeah I found the rear way easier then the fronts