Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

Sweet will try using the hub and a breaker bar, we tried a peice of 4x2 and had that going through under the dif and over the rear discs for leverage...but ended up snapping that in half, sway bar links are out. I was thinking maybe all my bushings have gone hard while sitting in a much lower powition and not being driven for the past 2-3months?

I guess dropping the diff to get more control arm movement like in an E30 won't work either...

Might need to put the rear coilovers back in and visit Glenn :D Bloody E39s

And I find ther front much easier than the rears, removing the arch liners and all that biz for the rears is a major pain.

Wonder if jacking up only one side would give me more clearance?

Currently got the car up on 4 sides and a jack stand under tha diff...just a thought

Edited by Lucan

Found what appears to be an oil leak from the lower timing cover. Cried a little inside.

• Like 1

And I find ther front much easier than the rears, removing the arch liners and all that biz for the rears is a major pain.

Wonder if jacking up only one side would give me more clearance?

Currently got the car up on 4 sides and a jack stand under tha diff...just a thought

I did mine one side at a time, that maybe the difference

Be warned if you are using the 'lux flakes' method to revive your steering wheel stitching, it totally 'melts' away the paint on the center cowl. No problem I thought, I'll just rub it all off to be black - no, the black came off too :(

Be warned if you are using the 'lux flakes' method to revive your steering wheel stitching, it totally 'melts' away the paint on the center cowl. No problem I thought, I'll just rub it all off to be black - no, the black came off too :(

Really - as the originator of this method I am surprised - have treated mine 3-4 times without any problem - what mix did you use?

Agreed. Seems strange since Lux flakes are just soap flakes. I have scraped off the black rubberised paint on the buttons on a steering wheel before to reveal the black plastic below - if the black plastic is deteriorating you must surely have had some other solvent in the mix.

• Like 1

Replaced L/R window regulator destroyed chrome trim strip at the top off the door in the process. Ideal time to find some genuine shadowline?

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

I guess it is possible the rag had something else on it!?!?! (I woulnt have thought so, but seems logical as it came off so easy?!?!)

Or i made the mix too strong? (surely not).

post-128-0-68404300-1393975554.jpg

post-128-0-59354500-1393975565.jpg

I guess it is possible the rag had something else on it!?!?! (I woulnt have thought so, but seems logical as it came off so easy?!?!)

Or i made the mix too strong? (surely not).

Just get it repainted... There is some good interior paints around .. I got mine done at precision autowerks in black .. and it matched perfectly with the top part.

I didn't do this.

295amg9.png

The poor guy was trying to find where the squeaks and rattles were in his Pug, when he finally got to this stage he had cured it!

Amazingly fun cars the 1.9GTis - I would love to have one again, just for "fun" drives.

Just get it repainted... There is some good interior paints around .. I got mine done at precision autowerks in black .. and it matched perfectly with the top part.

Yip - being done now along with door handle, SMG badge delete and surround. Going with all black wheel rather than the two tone

Edit; fixed now. Better in black anyway....

post-128-0-77571900-1394056740.jpg

Edited by Nick G
  • Like 1

The poor guy was trying to find where the squeaks and rattles were in his Pug, when he finally got to this stage he had cured it!

Amazingly fun cars the 1.9GTis - I would love to have one again, just for "fun" drives.

good job you said what it was i was trying to work it out lol

Fitted the lift kit to the M-Technic suspension equipped E39...

12942420423_4630b146fd_z.jpg

10mm spacers on top of every strut mount with longer studs - raised it up about 20mm

Fitted the lift kit to the M-Technic suspension equipped E39...

12942420423_4630b146fd_z.jpg

10mm spacers on top of every strut mount with longer studs - raised it up about 20mm

What was the reason for doing this? Nasty pot holes up your ways?

My wife munched the bumper on a parking block, and it's still really easy to scrap it on stuff, even with the extra height. It looked a bit silly too!

I raised the front a while back, and had to make the rear match B)

^^mine gets munched on parking blocks too. Hate to think how bad it's going to be when I fit the acs lip. It's no wonder there's not to many around any more...

Planned on just painting the rear spoiler but got carried away and now holes drilled and all fitted :)

f7nATIc.jpg

GJeiufV.jpg

Did vanos seals, water pump, thermostat, thermostat housing, fan clutch, hoses, valve cover gasket, valve cover bolt grommets, serpentine belt tensioner and idler pulley. Took about 6 hours all up

• Like 1

Cheers mate, years working on Subarus have got me used to fiddly jobs. Just glad the m52 is single vanos!

Got annoyed with check brake light warning. All.bulbs fine and sockets clean. Out of boredom.replaced.every single bulb in the rear lights with new ones. Then occured to pull out the high stop light. Low and behold a melted socket replaced that and all is fixed.

Also fitted the new heater control panel i got off juggernaught. Turns out e39 fl and pfl have different panels. They plug in but dont work. Didnt matter as my one just needed new buttons. Swapped over face plate and i can now control temp again. Yay.

If anyone wants a fl heater control unit to fix theirs if screen has gone let me know. I have no use for it now.

Sent from my GT-I8160L using Tapatalk 2

Broke it. More amateur mechanic work tomorrow