Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

Haven't done anything quite yet.. soon though. Need some new rubber, and almost definitely spacers

IMG_0270.JPG

• Like 2

Today I did this ... just have not been able to find where the dang sunroof was leaking, pretty sure I've located it now though !! Should have it siliconed up and back on the road in no time 👍

2023-06-03_21-11-14.jpg.63c3ee02ce1f5aaa5112dd2045cb2794.jpg...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 5/7/2023 at 6:33 PM, dirtydoogle said:

Accidentally got another after being less masochistic for yonks. Cleaned it, made the wife clean it. Will probably clean it some more. And then count all the fun issues that come with E61 life.

Does fit the car seat better than the TT did...

20230506_144850.jpg

score!!

A day of garage admin today, lots of tidying and sorting to clear some room to put the convertible to sleep for the winter and work on the race car.

Even cleared out the most inaccessable cupboard and got a whole heap more stuff in there - even found two crates of home brew in there that I had forgotten about. And it’s still drinkable, score!

• Like 1

Penis or genius?

So e39 has sold and gone, so have bought a e90 335i sight unseen for $1000 with no wheels or key. Finally arrived and laid eyes on it last Thursday and whipped the dme and cas out of it to get a new key made, which should all be back tomorrow to see if it’s a runner or not. All I knew was it was black and had 17x,000kms on it. 
wish me luck!

IMG_2700.jpeg

IMG_2703.jpeg

IMG_2706.jpeg

IMG_2709.jpeg

• Like 7

It’s alive!!! Fired up straight away, but with a dead no.4 cylinder.  
got the rear wheels on and went for a spin round the yard and seems to drive alright. 
After “machining” down a socket to fit down the spark plug well, it didn’t appear to be getting any fuel, so suspect a dodgey injector. Will track one of those down and swap that over and see what happens and get a scanner onto it to see what else is going on. 

IMG_2774.jpeg

• Like 2

Spent some time doing basic audio crossover points and relative loudness settings by ear on the F80's audio system.  Hardest area seems to be tuning the understeat woofers for to get them to blend with sub and door midbass.

Focal door speakers need running in so will run it for 20 hours of so and then tune with calibrated mic. WIll be interesting t see the difference between tuning by ear verse mic. Hopefully I'm not far off. 

front_stage.JPG

• Like 2

On 7/20/2023 at 10:12 PM, euroriffic said:

Penis or genius?

So e39 has sold and gone, so have bought a e90 335i sight unseen for $1000 with no wheels or key. Finally arrived and laid eyes on it last Thursday and whipped the dme and cas out of it to get a new key made, which should all be back tomorrow to see if it’s a runner or not. All I knew was it was black and had 17x,000kms on it. 
wish me luck!

IMG_2700.jpeg

IMG_2703.jpeg

IMG_2706.jpeg

IMG_2709.jpeg

nice! where does one find a deal like this? would love another n54 project

Took the E46 out for a spin yesterday with no front or rear screens, nothing like the wind in your hair 😆

Also got a set of Michelin PS 5's ahead of new wheels arriving in September, now I just get to look at them stacked in a neat pile and wait.

Time for the yearly TLC for the ‘vert whilst the weather is not so flash

On this year’s list a bit of panel and paint for a few bits and pieces - bonnet (to remove the dent in he middle where it fell on the battery charger 🤬), boot, high stop lamp and the Tech I spoiler insert.

IMG_0355.jpeg

Also pulled the rear bumper off to give it a good clean and check behind it.

Had a bit of a panic when I saw what I thought was some serious rust in the bottom left corner of the boot when I took the bumper off. Turned out to be rust from something that had been stored in there and got wet, stuck in some waxy gunk.

IMG_0356.jpeg

Came off when I gave it a vigorous clean and picked at it with a plastic scraper - phew!

Also found a Travis CD stuck in the boot when I took the stacker out..

IMG_0357.jpeg

• Like 3

335 update!

spent the last couple weeks chipping away at this. Replace spark plugs, rocker gasket, oil filter housing and cooler gaskets, got myself a cheap walnut blasting setup and cleaned the intake ports, they were pretty gross!
Cleaned out intake manifold, flushed coolant out and replaced, new oil and filter, new battery, new smoked fog lights, replaced headlight lenses and painted the inside bits all black since the chrome on the one with the broken lens was all coming away, new led halo lamps as well. 
Had a spare set of wheels that I got for the e39, style 125’s, 19x8 et20, 9.5 et32, but never painted, so got them done and new tires and now she’s ready to hit the streets…to have it scanned to clear some codes, register the new battery and injector and make sure it’s all good, then off for a wof, get the ding man to pop a couple wee dents out and a detail to get it gleaming.

IMG_3145.jpeg

IMG_3144.jpeg

IMG_3133.jpeg

IMG_3151.jpeg

• Like 8

Tried - tried - to replace the odo gears in the Baur.

Checked, double-checked, checked again. yes - it's a VDO unit. KM/H.

Which is great until you get everything apart and find someone has Frankenstein'd it and fitted a Motometer head to a VDO board, in a VDO cluster.

I've got 3 sets of VDO gears, MPH and KM/H. And no Motometer gears. :rolleyes:

Fortunately a Very Nice Man is going to send me both sets - A & B - for the Motometer and I'll return the ones I don't need.

Moving on... Let's sort the driver side door lock. Got a new kit from Schmiedmann (fast delivery). I've done these before - it's a fiddle and needs care, but take your time, and it's fine. However... the kit doesn't include the one particular part that it turns out we need - there's a broken bit. So the door is in pieces and I don't have the part I need to put it back together properly. :angry:

E30 life. LOL.

Edited by gjm

OK - more E30.

We'd 'received' a stone through the driver side (off side) main beam glass. Couldn't find one anywhere so fitted a near side lens rotated through 90 degrees. Pattern is wrong (but actually worked really well on the road!) and actually passed several WoFs.

For this WoF - changed the light unit. (Having finally found one that suits. Only 300 different fittings, wirings, etc to work through. (Very slight exaggeration ;) ). 

The nearside headlight unit then threw an issue that needed to be sorted. The vacuum adjuster had finally decided to call it a day (not at all uncommon, and not rebuildable). Sorted that.

Then the offside headlight unit (never, ever touched this!) showed a beam pattern rotated through about 10 degrees, and there's not enough adjustment to correct it. So let's pull that apart and sort it, too.

Three front light units. All showing issues, but only one which I'd actually ever touched! In three days!

Edited by gjm
  • Like 1

WoF'd the E30. :D 

• Like 1

Picked up the new.sunroof for the M5, finally.

IMG_20230916_092359_01.thumb.jpg.6ac57491a5c817050cb462b00f5b0fb1.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, aja540i said:

Picked up the new.sunroof for the M5, finally.

IMG_20230916_092359_01.thumb.jpg.6ac57491a5c817050cb462b00f5b0fb1.jpg

Free sunroof with an expensive custom crate, nice.

1 hour ago, Twistee said:

Free sunroof with an expensive custom crate, nice.

Anyone want a genuine BMW wooden box? $3500 and I will deliver it free? 😎

• Haha 3

335 update 

fitted new wheel centre caps, got codes cleared, still had adaptive headlight code, so replaced module today and all good again.

After fitting the 19s the diff was making a hell of a noise, so pulled that out to find the centre was seized up. So pulled a good one out at the Wrecker today and fitted that and drives like a dream… apart from it goes into limp mode due to low fuel pressure. So on the hunt for one of those now, but is good enough to go for a wof now atleast.

Also got an engine cover so they’ll stop water getting into the spark plug wells.

Compact update:

Fab man has finished his part putting the water to air cooler into the manifold, mounting the exchanger up front and a water tank and headlight washer tank. 
Now I need to do the water piping and wire up the pump and can get that working and tuned again!

IMG_3302.jpeg

• Like 1

On 9/13/2023 at 12:30 PM, gjm said:

Tried - tried - to replace the odo gears in the Baur.

Checked, double-checked, checked again. yes - it's a VDO unit. KM/H.

Which is great until you get everything apart and find someone has Frankenstein'd it and fitted a Motometer head to a VDO board, in a VDO cluster.

I've got 3 sets of VDO gears, MPH and KM/H. And no Motometer gears. :rolleyes:

Fortunately a Very Nice Man is going to send me both sets - A & B - for the Motometer and I'll return the ones I don't need.

E30 life. LOL.

Pulled the cluster out of the E30, removed the odo head, removed one gear, removed two gears in tiny little bits, remove d what was left of the drive gear.

This leaves a knurled bush on the driveshaft which has to be removed. It should slide off. If not, squeeze it with a pair of needle nose pliers, rotate 90 degrees, repeat, and it should slide off.

Not if some F&^%^* %&^*&* has superglued the bl**dy thing to the shaft, it won't... :angry: :angry: :angry:

• Sad 1

Picked up a 330e today after thinking about getting a Prius PHEV.  2016 with only 18k on the clock, it's almost new!  Not an M-sport so it's missing a few options and has black wheels which I don't like, but it is in immaculate condition.  $27k plus on road shenanigans.

Very well rounded package with plenty power, diesel levels of torque, and manages 4.5l/100km from Otahuhu to Hamilton in peak hour.  Electric range seems to be about 25-30kms which is plenty to get me around Hamilton and offset my weekly trip to Auckland.

It's also nice to have only BMWs in the garage :D

2072947288.jpg2072948056.jpg

Edited by GorGasm
  • Like 4

7 Years in Japan, not a mark on it.  1 week in NZ already chipped and scratched.  Gah!

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Last few weeks I've been hearing a suspension squeak in the front end of the e92.

Replaced the front sway bar brushes.

20231013_175157.thumb.jpg.2846d2a9813530db7fd8fdc5fa604bbd.jpg

Took the car for a drive the next morning and not only is the rubbery squeaky gone but the front end feels alot tighter. Nice and easy cheap quick fix 🙂

received_10214724971938470.thumb.jpeg.76db8dc2452fea1cfbc232d36570ae4e.jpeg

• Like 2

need to make a new rubber seal for the E21 steering rack, so made up an aluminium mould and bought some urethane to have a go at casting a replacement...

2023-10-20_20_28_23.thumb.jpg.8b51fb5b6324f5902f5c393a62b26852.jpg

2023-10-20_20_28_31.thumb.jpg.fd6191d676404206abaf7aa6c2beb94e.jpg

2023-10-20_20_29_15.thumb.jpg.fdc8d823c122bf294c2407ff4240ad67.jpg

• Like 7