Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

yeah, were expecting the same as we will be back to driving to work and dropping the little one at day care every morning. The economy is quite something else. Especially coming from the 540i.

• Like 1

Hey, it's gotta be easy yeah - no worries about maintenance plannng etc etc.

My update for "what'd you do to your BMW (yester)day:

• New oil (Penrite 5W40 full synthetic)
  • Oil filter
  • Air filter
  • Cabin filter

next steps (within the next week):

• rear trailing arm bushes & reinforcement shims
  • fuel filter
  • flush and bleed brake fluid
  • fatter ARBs and OEM ARB bushes
  • new 4 wheel alignment.

and figure out what's making the front carpets damp. Sunroof drains?

Edited by Olaf
  • Like 1

Had a 'proper' suspension alignment done on the 320d a few days ago. It seems it was going in a straight line more by luck than judgement, or by virtue of everything being wrong coincidentally pointing the car back in a more-or-less straight line.

• Like 2

It seems it was going in a straight line more by luck than judgement, or by virtue of everything being wrong coincidentally pointing the car back in a more-or-less straight line.

I think this is how some alignment guys think it should be; if it all cancels each other out to effectively 'zero' the car, she's apples mate. sigh.

when these cars are well-aligned, it can be, well.... sublime!

• Like 1

Did a bodge job to fix a squealing belt pulley and took it off and sprayed the guts of it with CRC. Obviously that won't last but it's a sealed unit and I can't get grease in there. Quite annoyed actually because it's only 5,000 km's old. I'll need to replace it.

But on a better note, picked up some track rims and tyres from Rowan, cheers dude.

TrackWheels.jpg

• Like 2

post-4208-0-72527000-1460798185_thumb.jp

Started the last phase of the Megasquirt project. Wondered why I chose to tackle this while simultaneously minding the toddler. Also remembered just how hot solder can get when it lands on bare toes.

• Like 2

^^

I saw my mate's megasquirt project today, was hugely impressed. He's added an extra ignitor for wasted spark setup, and extra module for barmetric pressure... and he's bought and built the testing platform. Wow.

What'd I do to my BMW today?

"you remember last time, when I was talking about next steps (last week I did oil, oil filter, air filter, cabin filter)"....

Captain_Kremmen.jpg

Today I went to my mate's place to visit/catchup/work on his driveway. We:

• Changed out the fuel filter (more below)
  • Flushed and bled the Brake Fluid. I had a few containers of fresh BNT RBF 500 (which is 599F rated - close to Motul RBF600 and under $20 per 500mls)... the brakes a much more firm now, and we got some bubbles out of the system as well. Braking is much firmer.
  • Installed the 24mm Motorsport front ARB with new Febi ARB bushes. Upgrade from the 23mm. Now I *really* need to get the 20mm on the rear - Monday.

Monday she's going into my trusty local BMW Independent to:

• Install the 20mm Motorsport rear ARB and new BMW ARB bushes. Upgrade from the 18mm. It'll match the rear to the front, I think.
  • Replace the rear trailing arm bushes with Meyle HD, and add delrin reinforcement shims
  • Repair the rear and front screenwash (rear dead, front flagging)
  • 4 wheel alignment

Then I can fit new wipers front and rear. And locate the source of my damp carpets.

Oh, about the fuel filter. What a Pr*ck of a job, laying on your back on the driveway. I had new 7.9mm ID high pressure fuel hose, new vacuum hose, new hose clamps, silicon grease, and the filter (of course). I found cutting the old hoses off a right bugger. Fortunately we had a drain pan to catch the spillage. Now here's the fun bit. Despite thinking through it, I managed to confuse the inlet with the return. I had fuel coming out the outlet, figured it was ok. zipped it all up. reinstalled the fuse. dzzzzzzzzzt. no starting. And a funny 'ftttttt' under the hood. Thought our way through it, looked for fuel pressure at the schrader valve on the fuel rail.... and zip, no fuel pressure. Oh. must have the inlet and return reversed. Consulted the Bentley manual. Yep, theory confirmed. Jacked her up again, supported her, removed the cover, found I'd not secured the bracket correctly... reversed the connections, secured the filter correctly, tested for fuel pressure - YEP. Zipped her up, started fine. Result. So what we'd figured through and interpreted as correct function was fuel from the return line flowing back along the line, passing into 'inlet', passing through the filter to 'outlet'. When it's correctly setup, no fuel comes in from the pump, as the pump's off. #8 )

So the moral of the story, don't mix up your inlet and return! D'oh! #8 )

PS: I'm sore, tired, but very happy with the outcomes. My thanks to Herbmeister for excellent advice, Brent BM World for easy supply of the ARBs I sought, and the search bicycle for previous discussions here. I found some excellent posts from Ron, Dave and others about e36 setup, ARBs, Springs etc that helped me consider the right solutions.

PPS: BNT RBF500 has a street in-service life of 12 months. That'll do me.

Edited by Olaf
  • Like 3

Mounted these. Seemed appropriate to do it in the rain since they're semi-slicks.

Drive to work tomorrow could be fun in the rain. Cold 225 track tyres verses sticky 255 street tyres... :)

Thought I'd hate the black... don't mind it actually.

BBSRXMounted.jpg

• Like 4

Found another reason to work under the bimmer... really need to get some ramps or axle stands.

post-52830-0-36130200-1460862246_thumb.j

looks good. you'll prolly find ramps won't play so well with your new splitter...

They will if they are long enough, mind you they'n need to be 2peice so I could still get under it from the sides.

Maybe axle stands are the go though, and I will need to get under there to do the exhaust and diffuser soon...

No maintenance or improvements, but spent the weekend driving the 540 (occasionally in anger) around the Matakana, Leigh, Omaha area. Every time I drive it I'm reminded just what a great car the E34 is.

• Like 1

^^

I saw my mate's megasquirt project today, was hugely impressed. He's added an extra ignitor for wasted spark setup, and extra module for barmetric pressure... and he's bought and built the testing platform. Wow.

Neat little units really, can go up to 6 channel spark & 4 channel fuel on the MS2, full sequential fuel & spark plus enough outputs to handle dual vanos and a couple extra tricks if you go to the MS3. Far cheaper than Link etc, and way more user friendly IMO

12 hours on BMWs today, very therapeutic

Found the issue with my newest little E30 overheating, well not too bad, but would sit just over half way, and if switched off it would be up around 3/4s. Found thermostat to not be working correctly, so will order a new one, but for the mean time have just gutted the thermostat, now runs nice and cold all the time 1/4 or so.

then got a lot of wrecking done on some cars here, some orders, some just finishing up cars.

and then started getting the compact ready for its second track day, brand new control arms fitted (piece of mind, the ones on there were perfectly fine) and poly control arm mounts, still have the tie rods and M3 brakes to fit yet. Also deleted the ASC throttle body on the M52 in it so just nice straight 90 degree bend into the throttle now with no restrictive plate, not sure how much of a gain if any, but can only be a good thing removing it. contemplated bypassing the coolant hoses going into the throttle body, but time is too tight to source a new hose if i damage it on removal, so will do that after the track day for next time. also won't have enough time to get the M50 manifold on either, so will be a bit of power to pick up before its third track day :)

now sitting in the shed with a well deserved bourbon or two!

• Like 1

as planned, today my e46 received its 20mm rear Msport bar, ARB bushes, rear trailing arm bushes and delrin reinforcement shims. Also new rear washer pump; w00t!

After 4 years without it, I now learn what a clever wiper pump it is on the rear hatch. Every other car I've ever had/rented/driven just sprays the rear screen when you activate the pump. Regardless of what the wiper's doing. the e46 times it's pump to spray in bursts, synchronised with the movement of the wiper. pull the stalk, you get three wipes, with the spray timed so that it doesn't hit the wiper blade. cool! yes it's small beans, but cool beans.

The trailing arm bushes were torn, but not totally shagged. good time to replace them.

A plug for Page European from me, very good to deal with.

Tomorrow, 4 wheel alignment. And then a road test. #8 ) oh, and fit new wiper blades front and rear, rain-x the screen.

Edited by Olaf
  • Like 1

Picked up a genuine (westfalia) towbar for the M5, dropped it off at a locksmith to get a key cut for the removable towball lock, will tackle the wiring tomorrow, weather permitting.

• Like 2

Picked up a genuine (westfalia) towbar for the M5, dropped it off at a locksmith to get a key cut for the removable towball lock, will tackle the wiring tomorrow, weather permitting.

Did it come with the module?

Did it come with the module?

Yes, and i think the car may have had a towbar in the uk before it emmigrated, there is an identical looking module alr6eady in the boot, and someone has tidied up some wiring, will know more by the end of the day....

• Like 1

today I drove my e46 to a BMW dealer and a car sales yard. I drove an e90 320d (NZ new, FSH), and an e90 323i Motorsport (fresh Japanese import).

the 320d was capable, confortable, if a little soft. I did not fall in love with the 4cyl turbodiesel. I liked the iDrive, I guess when one becomes familiar with the menu layout, it becomes quite useful. It was nice to get back into my 6cyl 2.5 litre after the tractor. Perhaps the 3 litre is better!

the 323i (2.5l) was nice, much stiffer, much better seats, but totally blaaaaaaaaaaack inside. needed a brake service, possibly transmission service, and a good alignment. So much blaaaaaaaack it was a little claustrophobic for Mrs Olaf.

Conclusion: think a touring is on the cards, more research to do. I'm a little scared about the servicing costs/complexity of the 335i, so 325i may have to do. The LCI has 3.0l power plant, but costs an extra $10k or so. Hmmm. And will I find a Motorsport without the black hoodlining/A pillars, yet has a moonroof?

^ if it doesnt have black hoodlining then it wont be a genuine msport. thats one of the little things that can really confirm whether a car is really factory msport or not because people can put msport extras on but usually dont bother with the headlining and a pillar trims etc.

^^ Bummer. Looks like it'll have to be a non-Msport for me, then. that uber-black effect makes the windscreen seem like a pillar box, from the inside.

So today some work got done .

Picked up the m52b28.

Moved the e21 out of the shed , not moved in 6 wwwks, started 1st time.

New motor in the shed.

Then pulled the carpet out of the drivers side and removed the floor coating to check the rust. It's not as bad as I thought,, but I found some that I need to investigate further. It's in the a pillar so I'm not happy about that.

Replaced one burst bulb from my cluster in the e39.

From this........

Posted Image

To this......

Posted Image

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

• Like 2