Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

Drove all the way to queenstown and back today to pick up my new addition to the family... An e36 318i touring.

Goes and drives like a dream! Now to start on sorting the few issues it has...

Bought some cheap halogen bulbs from TradeMe that said "5500k" but when installed they look barely whiter than factory :(

Drove Whangarei to Warkworth.

1.5ish hours, 7.0 L/100kms :D Even with the AC on.

got up to 7.5L/100kms by te time I got back, after chasing mates around on a stag do B)

Drove all the way to queenstown and back today to pick up my new addition to the family... An e36 318i touring.

Goes and drives like a dream! Now to start on sorting the few issues it has...

Ah... the $1 reserve one? Looks like a good base for my fave BMW project... M3 touring B)

Ah... the $1 reserve one? Looks like a good base for my fave BMW project... M3 touring B)

Or an Alpina B8 touring replica?

disassembled the front end of the 316i, and learnt how to use EZ Outs. so much for this not being a project lol

Tyre shined the 36's wheels for that fresh over sprayed silicon look from a dodgy car yard effect :lol:

That's the one! Gave it a good in n out clean today. Why is it woman don't look after cars...

Yea an m3 touring would be the bees knees but its just ment to be as a work wagon, then again so was My ute which now features a c notch and about 60 mms from the ground... Opps :P il keep y'all updated on it

Worked on my compact dashboard, cut away slots to fit between the roll cage and blocked off the side vents. Also made a flash Carbon look a like switch pannel.

Mean

Got a new windscreen Monday - insurance wanted to go cheap aftermarket, I wanted OEM, compromised with a Saint Gobain (the OE suppliers) screen with out the factory BMW markings. Rain sensor still works - yay!

Broke my garage door remote the other day so bought one of these little guys on Ebay last week; Posted Image a Universal Garage Door Opener (UGDO). Noticed Hotwire (Grant) had installed one a few years ago, he gave me a few pointers on where to wire it in - cheers Grant! These were optional equipment on E38s and E39s (possibly other models too).

Tested it out on the bench, cleaned it up, retouched the paint that had worn off one of the buttons, and added some tin-foil strips that are meant to extend the range!

Posted Image

Got it installed yesterday - good result! Range is still not as good as I hoped (about half the driveway) but the whole thing was about the same cost as buying a replacement remote and looks (I think) a heap tidier.

Posted Image

If anyone else is thinking of one of these be aware that the U.S. UGDOs operate between 288 MHz and 399 MHz whereas a lot of garage door openers in New Zealand operate on 433 MHz, so it pays to check first. U.S. cars at least were pre-wired for these but Japanese cars (like mine) aren't so some wiring would be required, not sure what NZ new cars have in the way of pre-wiring. Early model UGDO units are not compatible with rolling code technology which is associated with modern garage door openers, later model ones are so check the part numbers. Also there may be a difference between units for sunroof equipped and non-sunroof equipped cars.

Grant's thread above has some good pointers.

Looks very tidy, nice job.

^ That is beautiful Simon! ^

Today I upgraded my engine mounts with an improved pair of mounting brackets.

The V8 now sits a good 4mm lower than before.

Fixed drivers window on the touring then tried to tint it and failed so booking it in for next week. Started to claybar/ cut and polish then discovered the bonnet is covered in paint splotches from being parked next to a fence while it was being painted at a guess. So I gave up and got a beer :D

placed a white bimmersport sticker on the back of my new e30 B)

Posted Image

Got the subframe and trailing arm bushings replaced with urethane ones, my car is much happier.

Got a quote for $1100 for some panel work, my wallet is sad :(

Got the subframe and trailing arm bushings replaced with urethane ones, my car is much happier.

Got a quote for $1100 for some panel work, my wallet is sad :(

where'd you end up going Matt?

Ordered a front wheel bearing from Milland (well actually yesterday but yeah..)

Hopefully it's not too much of a mission getting it in.

Fronts are easy, rears are vaginas.

Well it turned up today (stocked at the service!) so we will see tomorrow probably!

Brought a vanos seal and rattle repair kit. Seems alright apart from the start up rattle so we shall see if theres an inprovment. Will Put that on the next to do list once I track down the special tools

Replaced the two rear door lock solenoids on the touring, but in my attempt to get one of the doors to unlock it has stopped the central locking Working altogether. Then wondered why the rear window squirtey doesn't work even tho its pumping fluid and then found that it filled the boot with washer fluid as the joiner in the boot corner came undone. Great

Going for that factory look. Sound quality's alot better than the sh*t old American Hifi one, and better functionality too. Well worth the $99, damn, even the old headunits Remote works on this

post-5113-1335929397.jpg