Apex

Quick rant thread.

Complain to the council. IIRC someone on here a while ago did when they broke their oil pan on a poorly repaired road and they paid in part to replace it.

• Like 2

Complain to the council. IIRC someone on here a while ago did when they broke their oil pan on a poorly repaired road and they paid in part to replace it.

Yup, that was me. The road works company (Downer) covered my claim in full. Had happened to a few people apparently.
  • Like 2

BRING BACK MINISTRY OF WORKS,,,,,,, I should start a campaign.

• Like 3

BRING BACK MINISTRY OF WORKS,,,,,,, I should start a campaign.

typically i favour privatisation over government doing everything, in theory private companies can do it cheaper while making a profit. The problem arises because there is no accountability between the job completion and the government, the the contractors do a half assed job, paid in full and then they are back there in a year. NZTA is a small organisation by comparison.

The exception is the big projects, transmission gully, waikato expressway, rimutaka hill road, they are all completed to a high standard as they are big enough to have an NZTA rep assigned to them to oversee it

in regards to my earlier comment, the new single yellow line dividing the lanes on SH2 northbound is a temporary line in place whilst they do some work. It is a no passing line.

Sauce: NZTA Wellington Twitter

f**k that, it makes no sense. Its a straight bit of road, both lanes going the same way, on a motorway. How will stopping people changing lanes keep workers safe? GTFO.

I went over that a couple days ago, to me it looks like because they resurfaced one side it's either higher or lower than the right lane. I'd say it's to avoid people changing lanes at 100kmh over a lip in the road.

• Like 1

im never in the LH lane through there so havent driven over it, but i cant imagine it would be that bad?

Either way, its confusing. It also makes me wonder why they bothered to do just one lane in the first place.

John is probably right, those of you that drive from the city to porirua would have seen it south bound between november and december last year.

in regards to my earlier comment, the new single yellow line dividing the lanes on SH2 northbound is a temporary line in place whilst they do some work. It is a no passing line.

Sauce: NZTA Wellington Twitter

f**k that, it makes no sense. Its a straight bit of road, both lanes going the same way, on a motorway. How will stopping people changing lanes keep workers safe? GTFO.

That's an interesting application of a solid yellow line. And I'm not sure it's covered anywhere in the road code.

A solid yellow line means "you can't cross this to pass". It doesn't mean, as far as I can tell "you can't cross this". There are many examples where you have to cross a solid yellow line (pulling in to some driveways is an example).

If you're not passing anything then I'd like to see them enforce this "can't change lanes yellow line".

And it also begs the question, if it can mean simply "don't cross", why the Victoria Park tunnel in Auckland isn't marked with solid yellow lines between lanes? There are (unenforceable) signs entering the tunnel saying "No Changing Lanes In Tunnel" so why only solid white lines (which are simply an advisory not to change lanes).

Now that i know a single yellow line dividing lanes going in he same direction is a thing, i can think of plenty of places where it should be used (SH2 at Petone, northbound in the 80k zone where Priests Ave intersects. have had a few close calls there with people changing lanes wiithout indicating, into the gap that im taking off into).

The road code says you cannot cross a yellow line to pass, but it say nothing about crossing it to change lanes.

I went over this section of road earlier and yes there is a slight height difference between lanes, but they have smoothed it out and you would have to be trying hard to have an issue crossing it. Mind you, with the driving skills of 90% of the drivers here, i can see why they did it (not that the line matters, i still have people cross it to cut me off).

Now that i know a single yellow line dividing lanes going in he same direction is a thing...

I don't think it is a thing, that's my point. They're just making it up.

Well there is signage "uneven surface", it's more for awareness than anything.

I'm sure if they didn't some numpty would manage to have a crash changing lanes over it and blame them for no warning. Not like they can out a couple hundred meters of cones to divide the lanes.

• Like 1

They have done even more reselling over night so it's even longer now

i dont get why they dont just do both lanes. Monday, do 100m left lane. Tuesday, do 100m right lane. Wednesday do another 100m left lane. So on and so forth. I understand they dont want to close the road completely and do both at once.

Yup, that was me. The road works company (Downer) covered my claim in full. Had happened to a few people apparently.

How did you go about that, and was it much hassle?

Well there is signage "uneven surface", it's more for awareness than anything.

Those uneven surface signs crack me up! Have they seen the state of the roads in NZ??

Would be easier to put "even surface" on the bits that are smooth and flat.

• Like 7

i dont get why they dont just do both lanes. Monday, do 100m left lane. Tuesday, do 100m right lane. Wednesday do another 100m left lane. So on and so forth. I understand they dont want to close the road completely and do both at once.

You answered your own question. They cannot close the road.

Drivers who move into the right hand lane of a dual-carriageway for no reason whatsoever!

• Like 3

You answered your own question. They cannot close the road.

They can do both lanes without closing the road, its not like concrete you can drive on it straight away,

they only have to move the cones.

• Like 1

They can do both lanes without closing the road, its not like concrete you can drive on it straight away,

they only have to move the cones.

yeah wait for the trucks to pack it all in lol

• Like 1

When your water blaster pulls a chunk of paint off the bonnet and you realise the previous owner scrimped on the respray. F$@$$&@&&$$ck!!!

oh sheeeit. time to go back to brilliantrot?

Would love to but can't afford to. Full bonnet repaint will be $300-500 depending on how much work to create a surface the paint will stick to this time! Full repaint probably more like $10-12K to be done right.

Ah crap. At 10-12k for a repaint I'm guessing it is but at the same time hoping your not talking about the 850i...

Jeez thats gotta suck.

Yep, 'fraid so. It'll have to live with a bit of touch up paint for now as I can't really afford the bonnet repaint at the moment, let alone $10K+ to respray back to red!!