E30 325i Rag-Top

Is This Where The E30 Market Is Now..?

Oh oops @Sammo Sam I didn’t see the above posts.  If we are talking “buying at peak E30”, I have the SE garage ornament lol

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Sammo said:

Few posts above - sold on 13th December for $46,100 - basically the reserve.

I recall there was only one or two bids as well - I was surprised as I thought it might push $50K.

Still got the patched up bolsters.

I'm not sure what they are trying to do with the plates - was NND548 last year now under NZT846 in Carjam (with no other plate history on carjam despite being re-registered at least once) but has a plate registered to an Audi in one of the pics? 

I think they've mistimed this a little, judging by the 4 very very nice E30's on TM for $30k plus starting to gather dust, I have a feeling the E30 market has plateaued for now (as soon as I bought mine of course haha).

I think so too. But the demand is still there and will be in the future. I get plenty of young people (in their teens and early 20s and even kids) ogling at the E30 and E28 on a regular basis. So when these people hit their 30s and 40s and have some disposable income… but I am speculating. 

I think that silver Mt1 one was a steal at $46k. Even if the dealer now sells it for $56k, that’s still a decent profit. 

• Like 2

Wow that’s a flip and a half! Pretty obvious as well with the supply and demand for these so limited.

Apparently was built in the “Motorsport Factory” 🤣

New CCCFA rules have really pulled back lending, so would be much harder to finance an E30 investment now as opposed to a few months ago. 

• Like 2

@E30 325i Rag-Top didn’t even repair the minor panel issues that stop it being outstanding eg surface rust on rear bumper and ding in front valance.

I know the fabric is hard to source but those patches look disappointing on a $70k car

• Like 1

14 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Wow that’s a flip and a half! Pretty obvious as well with the supply and demand for these so limited.

Apparently was built in the “Motorsport Factory” 🤣

New CCCFA rules have really pulled back lending, so would be much harder to finance an E30 investment now as opposed to a few months ago. 

Plenty of second tier lenders with money available for motor vehicles Jon. Naturally the greater the deposit the risk is  less for the lender.

Edited by Bandit

On 1/20/2022 at 12:50 PM, MD13 said:

Worth look if you're in the south...

e30

This black 323i coupe ended up going for $6,350 in the end. Pretty good price for no WoF or rego.

Luckily, it got up to more than I could risk without viewing.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2021 at 2:20 PM, leonf said:

even with the current e30 tax in play, and accounting for the quite desirable engine swap, I cannot see anything close to the $20k ask in this one.

May well be proven wrong.  Have been before and no doubt will be again.......

1639964456.jpg

Sold for $11k for those curious.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/24/2021 at 1:33 PM, Kees said:

Your comparison perfectly illustrates why I cannot fathom the e30 market. While people seem to froth over that e30 (I can appreciate the build but it is far from my taste) and e30s in general, I do not understand how someone could justify spending so much more when tidy e34s languish sub 10K (for a manual 535i or a low km auto 540i) and even sub 5K (for a manual 520i or a very tidy auto 525i). A clean 320i Auto for 8K will be snatched up in a couple hours while a clean auto 525i will struggle to find a home at 4K. 

I definitely think its a case of E34s being undervalued rather than e30s being overvalued though. E34s are the BMW everyone seems to like but no one seems to want. 

A 70K price difference is just ridiculous considering the 540i probably drives nicer since it was setup with a V8 from the factory and has proper adjustable suspension rather than air suspension. 

They are not as nice looking a car, and a different size car as well. E30's in original or near original condition seem to be getting pretty rare now.

• Like 1

I have a potential lead on a 86 325i sedan manual - nz new and only two owners, just ticked over 100kms.  Standard car, not MTec.  What is this worth? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jjs said:

I have a potential lead on a 86 325i sedan manual - nz new and only two owners, just ticked over 100kms.  Standard car, not MTec.  What is this worth? 

Over $30k? Depends on colours, condition etc.   Many people prefer the 2 door coupes.  There are two interesting comparisons on TradeMe at the moment:
https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-3454459403.htm  which is the less preferred automatic.

There is this one which has been sitting a bit: is low spec and has a dash crack and hole in the seat and unpopular interior colour (I like it!), and it’s being asked a lot more for:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-3381926409.htm

Edited by E28E30

14 hours ago, E28E30 said:

Over $30k? Depends on colours, condition etc.   Many people prefer the 2 door coupes.  There are two interesting comparisons on TradeMe at the moment:
https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-3454459403.htm  which is the less preferred automatic.

That's very pretty.

14 hours ago, E28E30 said:

There is this one which has been sitting a bit: is low spec and has a dash crack and hole in the seat and unpopular interior colour (I like it!), and it’s being asked a lot more for:

I like it! In the hot weather we've had lately, that'll be far more comfortable than leather.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jjs said:

86 325i sedan manual - nz new and only two owners, just ticked over 100kms.  Standard car, not MTec.  What is this worth? 

I’d take the 325i Sedan on TradeMe as a guide and add approx $4k for being manual and not being green on beige.

A lot depends on condition, colour combo and options fitted. It does tick a lot of the right boxes (325 manual low kms NZ new) those finer details determine the exact price in the market. Photos would help..

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

A lot depends on condition, colour combo and options fitted. It does tick a lot of the right boxes (325 manual low kms NZ new) those finer details determine the exact price in the market. Photos would help..

These are the considerations I've been mulling over with our Baur.
It's not a manual, kms aren't especially low (but not silly high), and it's not NZ new.
It *is* is good/very good condition, is a desirable colour, has a full list of options, and is rare.

Pricing is a nightmare - many swings and roundabouts. Fortunately we're not in a hurry!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jjs said:

$22K if its tidy.

I wouldn't be paying through the nose on a 'low kms' E30 as it basically just means its been sitting around with rotting rubber or the odometer is broken.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Sammo said:

I wouldn't be paying through the nose on a 'low kms' E30 as it basically just means its been sitting around with rotting rubber or the odometer is broken.

So much this.

Low mileage is absolutley no guarantee of good condition, just that it's not been used.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, gjm said:

So much this.

Low mileage is absolutley no guarantee of good condition, just that it's not been used.

I had a little chuckle to myself when I realised my 389,000km E30's odometer wasn't working 🤣 

Need to fix it for the 400,000km Photo Op.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, E28E30 said:

Yeah I’m thinking $30k.

I’ve owned 8 E30’s but haven’t had one in 12 years (yikes!)

Am after a 325i - must be manual. Can’t see they value in paying $60k for a MTec 

2 hours ago, Sammo said:

$22K if its tidy.

I’m a sucker for a low mileage car - I love a mint original interior.  A 300km interior will never look as new.  I get even more excited with full history and all the receipts that show the story since new 

• Like 2

On 2/3/2022 at 3:26 PM, jjs said:

I’m a sucker for a low mileage car - I love a mint original interior.  A 300km interior will never look as new.  I get even more excited with full history and all the receipts that show the story since new 

Might be up your alley?

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-3460384945.htm

47 minutes ago, Sammo said:

Thanks but I should also add I’m after an original car.  NZ new also.  Would rather have an unmolested standard car than one dressed up to look like a M Sport. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, E28E30 said:

That car has been for sale for a year, and seems to have gone up $10k?

Was $20k in 2020, $30k in 2021 and $40k in 2020.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Sammo said:

Was $20k in 2020, $30k in 2021 and $40k in 2020.

😂 @Sammo 

2 hours ago, Sammo said:

I still can't understand why no one has bought this. It's probably one of the nicest e30s you'll ever see. owned and modified by Mr e30 himself Jon from Auto38

• Like 1

Im sure it is but for an imported, manual converted and engine swapped car the pricing seems optimistic

• Like 4