Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

Tinted another window, trying using meths instead of water this time. Stood back, even walked away for a hour. Came back, went "Grr, mumble, mutter, curse (a few times)", peeled it off again, & then went onto cleaning up another wheel for it. (last one - YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Edited by Blue-540i

Spent half an hour in the garage comparing the 'vert bootlid and the one on the coupe, and a spare one. Buggered if I can see a difference... I always thought they were the same?

The rest of the time I was cleaning 20 year old oil/dirt mixture from a gearbox, they obviously never fix oil leaks in Greece... and how MAF let it in the country I'll never know, makes me wonder what they actually do in these inspections you pay so much for??

it was mainly reference to loosing the bootlid mounted high stop light.

But... OCD alert....

...now its on there, and it may just be my imagination, but there does seem to be a difference in the two corners at the base of where the C pillar is (or would be at least). on the coupe/sedan type, it appears to be more flared upwards than the convertible type. Those corners are sitting about 3-4mm higher than they should be. sounds insignificant but its fairly obvious in person (to me anyway). Of course, maybe the lid was just sitting on those corners while in storage and something put on top etc??

maybe i can find a soultion to make the lid sit further down.

well done , good start , did you know you dont need to remove the centre console to get the gearlever mech out etc , just the shifter slider and ash tray part . anyway goves you a good chance to clean in there :)

Did read that somewhere, but knowing how gumby I am with delicate stuff I thought it best to just get everything out of the way I could possibly destroy! Fingers crossed the alignment tool will come Wed, new main seal about the same time.

Now, onto hoisting the car off the floor with only one jack :huh: god I hate this bit!!

...now its on there, and it may just be my imagination, but there does seem to be a difference in the two corners at the base of where the C pillar is (or would be at least). on the coupe/sedan type, it appears to be more flared upwards than the convertible type. Those corners are sitting about 3-4mm higher than they should be. sounds insignificant but its fairly obvious in person (to me anyway).

Is it aligned properly on the hinges? There is a bit of play in there which can effect where it sits, also the strut on the 'vert tends to push the left side up a bit which is a pain you don't get on the sedan's with the torsion rods.

Put the modified valved body back in the auto gearbox.

Seems to be working awesomely now! Still smooth but has clean quick changes that get faster with higher throttle levels.

Exciting!

New rotors and pads :)

o2bv5f4i.zdp.jpg
5qfel2tf.j50.jpg
xrwi5pfj.jsw.jpg
zlw2i4k2.vru.jpg
Edited by duvey
  • Like 1

Tinted another window, trying using meths instead of water this time. Stood back, even walked away for a hour. Came back, went "Grr, mumble, mutter, curse (a few times)", peeled it off again, & then went onto cleaning up another wheel for it. (last one - YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Try using blue window cleaner (make sure it's alcohol-based) will work a treat.

Got to Auckland, visit Car Folie.

Took about 45 mins to do our E39, came out mint. I went for the one of the fancier tints and it was $225 all in I think. Tell them are are a Bimmersprter though - it's cheaper then.

When i tinted the side windows in my mr2 i cheated and took the glass out and used plenty of soapy water and used a foam squeegee, not a rubber one and slowly worked the water out from the centre and then left to dry, that lasted the 3/4 years i had it

Edited by Mr2low

Got to Auckland, visit Car Folie.

Took about 45 mins to do our E39, came out mint. I went for the one of the fancier tints and it was $225 all in I think. Tell them are are a Bimmersprter though - it's cheaper then.

Man tintings cheap up there! I'm paying $450 to get the wagon done on Thursday and that's a discounted price too!

Cheers for the tips & advice guys. Yes, I've often thought lately that Car Folie needs to expand outside of Auckland!!! I've 'stuck my hand up' to do my partners vehicle too, & a son's, but gotta get it right on mine first.

$450ish is local quotes too, & given theres 3 vehicles to do, I figure I can buy lots of film to practice with.............

Glass out might be on the agenda down the track I figure. Must go find a different squeegee first, as current one seems to mark the tint when trying to get last of air out. (Causes instant words that rhyme with 'truck'..........)

Did you have detergent in the water the first time?

Is it aligned properly on the hinges? There is a bit of play in there which can effect where it sits, also the strut on the 'vert tends to push the left side up a bit which is a pain you don't get on the sedan's with the torsion rods.

i know the forwards and backwards adjustment is where it bolts on, and rear up and down alignnent is the rubber bung things. will have another look for the front verticle alignment, how ever that works.

Door tweeter wasn't working, so pulled off the door card, picked up a replacement from HellBM. All installed and working now. One of those satisfying little jobs :)

q4kbde0t.dex.jpg

5rr4oqux.shb.jpg

p0iztwxg.10b.jpg

h2c3moyx.4gs.jpg

Finally registered and warranted the coupe today. Now time to sell......

attacked the heater core again today. got quite far, just perplexed as I do not see any (visible) leaks. the constant coolant scent when the A/C is on is driving me nuts, heck even when I just accelerate (when the A/C is off) i get a sudden waft of coolant scent, then no more . I just need to get some O-rings to replace on the core piping, and we will see if it makes a difference.

gave the e28 a quick wash and some uptodate pics

post-279-0-64036200-1380346006_thumb.jpg

post-279-0-69069600-1380346056_thumb.jpg

post-279-0-60576500-1380346093.jpg

post-279-0-73367200-1380346169.jpg

post-279-0-27833800-1380346184_thumb.jpg

post-279-0-94600900-1380346200_thumb.jpg

post-279-0-77414500-1380346276_thumb.jpg

post-279-0-47075100-1380346291_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Did you have detergent in the water the first time?

No - didn't. Then tried meths on its own, with better but still unsatisfactory results......

Todays project was 'fit air-horns' (I run them on all my vehicles, as they're great for moving people-movers & muppets outa the way when ya need to), but gee, not a lot of room, & don't want to drill holes everywhere, so have put it in the 'still thinking bout it' basket. So went for a looong drive instead, & polished chrome bits when I got back... :D

Tore out a bunch of useless auto crap. Spilt a heap of ATF on the shed floor. Cleaned it up while muttering under my breath about Jatco. Wondered how to get the last two bellhousing bolts & starter bolts out. Gave up and drank beer.

• Like 1

attacked the heater core again today. got quite far, just perplexed as I do not see any (visible) leaks. the constant coolant scent when the A/C is on is driving me nuts, heck even when I just accelerate (when the A/C is off) i get a sudden waft of coolant scent, then no more . I just need to get some O-rings to replace on the core piping, and we will see if it makes a difference.

Lols - its starting to test your patience levels maybe...........

Funny, I had same for a while after I first got my car, but seems to have come right over time so far.... (touch wood, lots!!!) Weird, as all the things I read bout O-rings, & cooling system problems has made me a bit paranoid now about that side of things........

Today I changed rims on my bagged e30!

I want to see more!

On the sidenote I put new injectors in yesterday, test started today = success, nailed wasted spark setup = success.