Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

getting ready for a decent service.

already ordered/bought

both rear window regulators ( Geez they aint cheap)

new coolant temp sensor.

oil filter

fuel filter

air filter

cabin filters

Radiator cap

need to order/ buy

rocker cover gaskets

engine oil

powersteering hoses

steering fluid

aircon buttons

also need to adjust handbrake.

Should be a productive weekend coming.

That's ridiculous... also aren't most car parks free on Sunday?

Don't know if you're in AKL but at the Warehouse/Bedpost in Newmarket its what I assume to be a private carpark run by Wilson.

I was in the secluded upstairs area (maybe 15 parks and shipping bay for Bedpost) and had a paid ticket. <_<

Whatever, live and learn :)

Spent the whole day tidying up bits and pieces on the ute so it's all sorted when/if it sells.

Painted fading black interior plastics,

Fitted new internal aerial

Replaced burnt out dash lights

Fixed heater adjust leaver

Fitted up interior so it actually fits right!

Undersealed front guards

Tidied up paint on the wheels

Tidied up deck where had afew chips in tuff liner paint.

Good clean in and out and cleaned all the tar off it, then had to wash it again

Polished chrome bumper, mirrors and door handles

Just got to fix flickering led parks then all sorted

pics here

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=622882874

Edited by euroriffic

I feel this speaks for itself.

Handing it off to my mate who works at Waikato engine re-conditioners now to plane the head.

Posted Image

Edited by Ultrarandom

Got REALLY lucky! Sub amp cable broke free of tie to underside of chassis rail, moved around and became trapped between chassis rail and battery. Shorted out and arced back to body while taking the 325i out for it's first run with the new Bilsteins installed in place of leaky crappy stock shocks. Made it less than 80 meters from home before I heard the arcing.

Was fortunate enough to have a random stranger pull over and dump water on the fire, gave me long enough to sprint home & grab the powder extinguisher I keep in the garage. Only casualty seems to be some fried amp cabling and a little soot staining in the boot.

Only damage i can see to the battery is a tiny bit of melt on one corner. Is there any way I can test how safe the battery is with my trusty Fluke multimeter before I risk putting it back in the car? It's still holding steady at 12.11V while on the workbench, not keen on risking it setting itself alight while I've got my baby boy in the car. The battery was fairly warm when removed from the boot after all the fuss had died down. Or am I better to take it to an auto sparks? Or just replace it and not bother with getting it tested?

http://imageshack.us/a/img844/6671/qq7x.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img580/8663/ubay.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img819/9766/mli3.jpg

Will be reinstalling amps again soon, this time using armoured conduit for all power cabling. Not letting this happen again!! :ph34r:

Aplologies for the pic links, have no idea how to upload photos now we can't send them straight to the forum :wacko:

Edited by Ahmedsinc

Nasty situation Matt!

No doubt reinforces how important good insulation is on such cables. Not to mention, fusible links.

Pulled a box of Tilton goodies out of the cupboard this evening.

Started assembling the pedal box....

Got REALLY lucky! Sub amp cable broke free of tie to underside of chassis rail, moved around and became trapped between chassis rail and battery.

And my partners brother still argues with me that the fuse between the battery and sub amp doesnt really matter.

Edited by _Matt_

Rest assured, all my wiring is fused! Way too risky otherwise!! Unfortunately for me it was the 300mm of 4 gauge between the + post and the fuse that became trapped, thereby creating the short before the fuse :(

Besides an extraordinary amount of powder to clean up the car is virtually unharmed. Would like to verify battery safety before I put it back on the road though. Any suggestions with regard to testing?

Besides an extraordinary amount of powder to clean up the car is virtually unharmed

Maybe I shouldn't say this..... but you might want to know..... some extinguisher powders are corrosive... apparently it's the class "ABC" ones.

Maybe I shouldn't say this..... but you might want to know..... some extinguisher powders are corrosive... apparently it's the class "ABC" ones.

Good to know! I used a AB class so hopefully no issues. On the bright side, the auto sparky gave the battery a clean bill of health, much to my surprise!

All's well that ends well. Hopefully next time I post on this thread it'll be better news :D

Yesterday 540 got a new windscreen trim, also fitted my new gear knob which was a titan line matt silver, didn't suit the interior so I took it apart and wrapped the centre the same as my trim. Brought some lowering springs today, and as my fuel filter turned up today buying some hose clamps and vacuum line tomorrow, what else hmmm washed interior with lux soap flakes didn't make a massive difference, forgot to order leather colour restorer and still waiting for court sh*t to be sorted. Awhh also getting a new/old car lol a 1967 850cc mini dove grey with a white roof with dark red interior

forgot fitted a new handle on the armrest, not BMW related but also built a chicken coop yesterday so yeah yesterday was a full on day off

Edited by Mr2low

Firstly managed to have a f**k out in the e30.

After replacing the MAF was wondering why it was cough and spluttering after 5k RPM or under instant load.

Removed the spark plugs and found this.

Posted Image

It explains a lot why the car was running rich too as number 5 was not even finger tight.

Bloody thing was earthing spark on the block. Cool (not)

Anyways, new plugs on the way thanks to Greg for the mean deal and information on symptoms.

Also in other news the 540 got a nice oil change. And will be getting a new radiator. Im not sure why, but I love doing oil changes etc.. its very therapeutic.

Rest assured, all my wiring is fused! Way too risky otherwise!! Unfortunately for me it was the 300mm of 4 gauge between the + post and the fuse that became trapped, thereby creating the short before the fuse :(

Besides an extraordinary amount of powder to clean up the car is virtually unharmed. Would like to verify battery safety before I put it back on the road though. Any suggestions with regard to testing?

I'd also check the amps power supply stage for any signs of damage. Have a close look at the caps to make sure they haven't failed with the short. Otherwise you could have a second fire when you wire it back in.

As to the battery I'd be inclined to replace it regardless.

Finished the small changes needed for the re-certification for the 1UZ E36. Going back to the cert guy on Friday next week.

Looks like the build is complete! (aside from rebuild the rear suspension with M3 parts at some point)

Also in other news the 540 got a nice oil change. And will be getting a new radiator. Im not sure why, but I love doing oil changes etc.. its very therapeutic.

Haha, ain't that the truth.

Hi Josh, that would be a worry but did that electrode get eaten away with the arcing as you mentioned or drop off as one small piece?.

M3 is off the road again (never on it!) to do a few things - one is to have a go at a stock muffler re-work - progress so for is here

M3 is off the road again (never on it!) to do a few things - one is to have a go at a stock muffler re-work - progress so for is here

Most interesting. What's the plan?

Hi Josh, that would be a worry but did that electrode get eaten away with the arcing as you mentioned or drop off as one small piece?.

Out the exhaust port I would believe.

Firstly managed to have a f**k out in the e30.

Nothing beats f**king in an E30

Trailered it behind the Falcon to the BOP and sold it. Was a sad sight leaving it behind, but hopefully the gearbox will help make another E30 better.

The plan is to do something like this except that unlike this chap I will leave the perforated pipes in place and repack the muffler with fibreglass. Also it is common to remove the glass from the 2 inlet sections but I will leave this as is. Apart from having a bit of a play I am hoping to get an improved sound without overdoing it.

Edited by central3