Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

Finally put an engine INTO an e21, after 4 x taking them out! nice to have some room to work with! :D

post-17842-0-12241900-1452012902_thumb.j

• Like 1

Nah just call into yours and catch up with him and everyone there lol

yea was right old reunion yesterday

• Like 1

Finally put an engine INTO an e21, after 4 x taking them out! nice to have some room to work with! :D

attachicon.gif2016-01-04 16.29.06.jpg

You could make drive by wire throttle - I know where there is a spare actuator ;-)

Aren't you supposed to put a rotor in it?

:ph34r:

E38 oil change and brake fluid exchange and bleed :)

Valve adjustment + Oil & filter change. Would you believe I followed the factory oil chart and used Mineral Castrol 20w50 (So thick!) and even added a bottle of Rislone zinc additive. If my maths is right that's now 1833ppm of zinc in there :) Happy days

Edited by Kepes
  • Like 1

Valve adjustment + Oil & filter change. Would you believe I followed the factory oil chart and used Mineral Castrol 20w50 (So thick!) and even added a bottle of Rislone zinc additive. If my maths is right that's now 1833ppm of zinc in there :) Happy days

catch up with you on Sunday??

catch up with you on Sunday??

Unfortunately I have to work :( I'll keep an eye out in case you guys cruise by lyall bay though!

• Like 1

Took the 740i for a drive to Welly today and met up with some great people.

post-17205-0-11340800-1453012043_thumb.j

post-17205-0-74126100-1453012060_thumb.j

• Like 2

FFS paul went?!? Could have told me gees! My weekend was spent tidying up some e46 330i calipers and carriers, then swapping them into the e36. Pretty happy with how they look they are huge vs the 328i ones!

• Like 2

FFS paul went?!? Could have told me gees! My weekend was spent tidying up some e46 330i calipers and carriers, then swapping them into the e36. Pretty happy with how they look they are huge vs the 328i ones!

yes was hoping you were coming so i could see how 25 year old calypso stacks up against 2 month old!!

Having said that the fog was around, very wierd. colours didnt pop at all really

• Like 1

Haha sorry man figured you would've seen the post. Will remember to keep you posted next time.

• Like 1

Slowly tidying up the yellow beast,

re fibre glass and fixed al the cracks and holes and sanded it al down on the front bumper

and front mud guards, ready for under coating tomorrow.

• Like 3

Washed it yesterday.
And the cats walked over it during the night.

<sigh>

• Like 2

Replaced rear diff bush and diff in the e46 this morning. Then removed and cleaned up vanos unit in touring2.0 ready to be reassembled with new seals and rattle kit and reinstalled.

Vanos reassembled and installed. Idles a lot nicer and quieter but still not running right. When testing the vanos solenoid it wouldn't activate despite having 24ohms resistance. Might have to try a replacement.

Took the back bumper of and started to fix that one and picked up some Dakar yellow paint

and some thinners and under coat for a respray.

And some paint for the one Lady owner so I can paint the engine bay and put the motor back in.

• Like 1

Changed the eeprom .bin for the lying-bastard stock E39 temp gauge.

Now shows something like what the engine temps actually are, instead of being about as useful as those blue and red light things on newer cars.

Can share info soon, for others interested - found stuff on some US sites etc, and deciphered the info from the bollocks.

• Like 2

Now shows something like what the engine temps actually are, instead of being about as useful as those blue and red light things on newer cars.

Can share info soon, for others interested - found stuff on some US sites etc, and deciphered the info from the bollocks.

Funny, gauge i our car has always read about right. Obviously "some" of them are ok :)

New thread please!

• Like 1

Funny, gauge i our car has always read about right. Obviously "some" of them are ok :)

They're mostly VERY buffered, certainly for the M52TU, and M54 E39's (and E46's) They usually read "normal" (straight up and down) from 75C to 115C, I've set it to 87C to 103C now, so if it starts to get hot, the gauge slowly moves - rather than keeping the info from the driver, I can see if it starts to warm up, and adjust driving to suit.

With the stock gauge, they usually show "normal", then suddenly shoots up, once it's too hot. They also read normal, with a poked thermostat, keeping it too cool, running at 80C, the M54 eats fuel still, but you don't know it's cool.

They're a pain in the arse - especially for people who think "It's not pegged in the red yet, so it's OK"

Stupid rear window regulator plastic bit that holds one of the cables broke.

New regulator and about 60 mins and it was swapped out (first time doing it) and all done.

Not a very good design and you can see why they would just break. At least they are easy to fix.

Isofix tether mounts on e46 M3. Nervous bit of drilling on rear parcel shelf, but came together alright. Took about 5 hours .

My Little girl likes ridding in the M3 which made it worth while.

• Like 2

Thrashed it.

Took the 750i for a long drive to my sisters today. She's about 40mins out into the country on deserted roads with tons of hills and corners. I know this road like the back of my hand and as I haven't been comfortable driving the 750i as hard as I would the 740i I decided to find my limits in the car.

All I can say is WOW. Turn on the S/EDC, put in Sport mode and gradually pushed myself and the car.

The torque from the V12 just eats up the hills and surprisingly(to me) it cornered well too.Stinking hot day so super sticky tar might have helped a bit..lol The harder I pushed it the more planted it felt.

Probably the fasted trip I've made out to my sisters.

I'm going to have to do something to increase the volume/noise of the exhaust though. Would've been nice to hear the V12 roaring through the hills.

• Like 8

Thrashed it.

I'm going to have to do something to increase the volume/noise of the exhaust though. Would've been nice to hear the V12 roaring through the hills.

Micheal has got those RS4 mufflers with the flapper valves in them :D You have have louder or quiet, with a switch flip B)

Edited by Allanw
  • Like 1