Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

The E38 failed a WOF on an inactive windscreen washer - so go a new pump from Brent - fitted - victory! But the extra pressure seems to have caused the brittle pipes under the bonnet to crack! FAIL! Now that is a fiddly job to fix....sigh. 532b8e8fff0a8fed9e0c7bf596135a56.jpg

Went for drive to Colville after giving up in frustration.....6435ae1bbac2e5ece9a00aa312dc69cb.jpg

Anyone know an easy fix for windscreen washer pipes?

Update - now fixed with new pipe and warrant scored - score!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by NUSTAD
  • Like 2

Been there and done that on the 740i and they've just gone in the 750i so I have to do it again. Not something I'm looking forward to. If I remember right I had to go through the outer vent on the bonnet as well as through the underside.

Your 7's looking sharp. Very nice.

• Like 1

Removed the getrag 220 from one e36 and put it in another. And started swapping the brakes

Toby is there anything on that engine of yours that can still be changed!?

hah, it's funny you say that! I just went through all of my receipts and err... I've spent enough to last a long while I hope!

Anyone know an easy fix for windscreen washer pipes?

Just replace the WHOLE LOT - I used some high temp, high pressure silicone tube and did the whole lot from bottle to jets - no issues now - got rid of shitloads od connections too.

• Like 3

Finally got around to replacing a blown bulb in the e36 dash cluster, now i can see how far ive gone at night! Its only taken 2 years to get to it!! ;)

• Like 7

Got a replacement getrag 260 pfl e30 gearbox for a steal at 300 bucks. Seems to be in good nick. Hopefully it doesnt have the synchro sitting in pieces near the drainplug like the one in my car which I found last week after trying to change into second gear and hearing a humming noise. Will be rebuilding the box in my car and keeping it as a spare or could be sale for the right price after rebuild. Also sold my BBS rg239s to some kid who wants to use them as skid rims and was pestering me for em at the shop. Its amazing what you hear when your exhaust is at a sensible noise level. Never would of thought the box was a problem. Sigh

Edited by EUROHO
  • Like 4

Flying to Dunedin to get it, whoop whoop . Road trip home 1500 kms, update tomorrow , with pics.......

• Like 3

Hoping to inspire a certain member on here (you know who you are :) )

post-2197-0-61305800-1448665610_thumb.jppost-2197-0-93874500-1448665643_thumb.jp

• Like 3

began the fiddly task of installing baby seat rear tether brackets, whole rear interior out to get under parcel tray. all going well, fixed all the rattles while i was in there. Then miss drilled the holes for the tether mount, didn't correctly account for the shape of the brackets and where they would contact the rear tray, and now need a new tray or different mounts. I have seen some coupe ones that are straight up and down rather the Z shaped, will have to talk to dealer Monday.

Pretty frustrated at myself for that blunder

Edited by hunter

Gave the 750i a cut and polish today.

Silk purse, pigs ear kinda deal but it does look a whole lot better.

• Like 1

Picked this up for my seat upgrade project.

Though I might have to get some track tyres first! ;)

MRain01.jpg

MRain02.jpg

• Like 4

Spent many hours on my E38 this weekend getting it all legal and ready for ECC meet next weekend.

Since i have got it the back has bounced all over the place, so got some second hand rear struts off Dave and put those in, what a difference. Sure they are probably getting a bit tired, but some shocks is better than nothing!

Next time I do it ill do the H&R/Billy combo

Also replaced front brake pads, very easy on this car, it has the factory 4 pot Brembo calipers, you dont even need to remove the caliper just two pins to knock out the side and away. spend more time jacking the car and taking the wheels off

Replaced left lower arm, wof fail, boring

Tighted up right front shock, bolt in backwards from previous owner, knuckle was sitting loosely in the strut tube, i highly doubt it could ever fall out but i never would have spotted that underneath, I doubt a normal mechanic would either, was VTNZ that found it since they use the wheel shaker machine over the pit you can see all front suspension moving very well.

Then realised I didnt have a compatible brake pad wear sensor so rang around, found one today at Repco Masterton, so that was excuse enough to mission over the hill to check the car is all tickety boo for the run to Auckland on Saturday. front suspension fixes has also made the steering wheel sit dead straight too instead of slightly to the left

Car handles very well for such a big car, but the new limitation is the tyres, Will have to buy some for the front at least this week I think, I just dont feel safe with them. Back can wait, its only a 728 and has ASC so its never going to even think about slipping in the back. But its a big heavy car, needs good grip for turning and braking in the back.

Sorry for long post. Dont have a project thread for this car as while its getting attention like its just another car from me, its still a hack in my mind i guess! Dont get me wrong i really love the E38, but just not sure the one i fall in love with should be a 728i lol.

• Like 7

Dont get me wrong i really love the E38, but just not sure the one i fall in love with should be a 728i lol.

Having driven them all(except the 730i) the 740i is still my favorite. Luv the torque of the 750i but that big donk in the front gives it a different feel to the sportier 740i. I feel a lot more confident throwing the 740i around the corners than I do in the 750i. B)

• Like 2

Having driven them all(except the 730i) the 740i is still my favorite. Luv the torque of the 750i but that big donk in the front gives it a different feel to the sportier 740i. I feel a lot more confident throwing the 740i around the corners than I do in the 750i. B)

What you need is a great big water tank for the windscreen washer in the boot then like the 850i. You might wonder why they didn't try and make the front a bit lighter instead of compensating with extra weight... But who cares cos it feels awesome!!!!

• Like 1

What you need is a great big water tank for the windscreen washer in the boot then like the 850i. You might wonder why they didn't try and make the front a bit lighter instead of compensating with extra weight... But who cares cos it feels awesome!!!!

BMW left the room for some people that needed to be bound and thier ears or fingers cut off. Balances out the V12 very nicely

• Like 1

Car handles very well for such a big car, but the new limitation is the tyres, Will have to buy some for the front at least this week I think, I just dont feel safe with them. Back can wait, its only a 728 and has ASC so its never going to even think about slipping in the back. But its a big heavy car, needs good grip for turning and braking in the back.

Most intriguing. When your up here for the ECC event, If you're willing I've love the opportunity to take yours for a spin, its been a long time since I've driven an E38.

• Like 1

Dropped car off at local painters for front bumper respray, long over due. Getting rid of paint cracks scuffs and scrapes.

• Like 1

Replaced my cracked intake boot and cleaned my ICV. What a difference. the idle is now steady for the first time in the e30. Also replaced my non smiley headlight with a smiley one. ( thanks Andy) Now the waterpump is pissing out so thats todays job haha. The joys of the e30 life

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 2

thrashed the old girl around hamptons last.

uncles Christmas event ,(targa people)

tried out my new tyres , seem to hook up nicely.

but need to change the profile size or diff ratio again.

• Like 7

^ Awesome Brent, such a great machine you have there.

Having had a short drive of it, I get a better appreciation for what it might be like on the track - can clearly see the awesome mid range pull all the way to the redline in the clip.

• Like 2

Replaced my cracked intake boot and cleaned my ICV. What a difference. the idle is now steady for the first time in the e30. Also replaced my non smiley headlight with a smiley one. ( thanks Andy) Now the waterpump is pissing out so thats todays job haha. The joys of the e30 life

How'd the waterpump replacement go? I'm doing mine tomorrow. I've done the timing belt along with waterpump before, but never the waterpump on it's own. Pretty straight forawrd though yeah? Just like lego. How'd you get the tensioner spring back on with the pump?

• Like 2

How'd the waterpump replacement go? I'm doing mine tomorrow. I've done the timing belt along with waterpump before, but never the waterpump on it's own. Pretty straight forawrd though yeah? Just like lego. How'd you get the tensioner spring back on with the pump? 

Pretty simple really man. You basically get the engine on timing marks. You release the bolt that holds the tensioner in it's tension position, then you remove the pump, when putting it back the tensioner spring will apply tension the the tensioner, put two bolts in the waterpump to hold it in place, then tighten the tensioner bolts to hold it in place and tension the belt, then tighten the waterpump. Pretty easy.
  • Like 1