Apex

Quick rant thread.

It's January ya crazy capitalist supermarket cartel !!! Did I buy some ... why yes I did :D

2023-01-21_20-51-04.thumb.jpg.7a4001a1fe9f24cd6bac252cd2e92cea.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Road to Zero BS.
There is now 19 posted speed limit changes on SH2 between Featherston and Masterton.
And the cops are loving it!

This is a State Highway!

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Struggling to name one government department that is not a complete shitshow of incompetence... 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, Driftit said:

Road to Zero BS.
There is now 19 posted speed limit changes on SH2 between Featherston and Masterton.
And the cops are loving it!

This is a State Highway!

If a political party said they’d review NZTA, review political capture of their operations, and focus on other things in addition to speed, people would notice?

4 hours ago, E28E30 said:

If a political party said they’d review NZTA, review political capture of their operations, and focus on other things in addition to speed, people would notice?

NZTA are an over-sized under-performing governmental anachronism. They don't actually do anything, other than collect money. No-one there actually contributes directly to anything: they simply engage a sub-contractor who will engage their own sub-contractors, who delegate and sub-contract... More layers than a really good Baklava, and every layer is taking money out of the system.

I read that it is estimated that for every $100 spent, around $22 finds its way to the road and those people working on it.

• Like 3

We need National to come in and privatise the roads. That'll fix it. And give the top 1% some tax breaks whilst they're at it. 

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, E28E30 said:

Both Labour and National are looking to have the limits reviewed here in the Wairarapa.  Nobody is happy with this change.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Driftit said:

Both Labour and National are looking to have the limits reviewed here in the Wairarapa.  Nobody is happy with this change.

Reviewing NZTA would mean acknowledging a government department was a failure, and they really don't want that.

In the meantime, there is endless diatribe around "speed kills" and no effort to address the true underlying factor - driver skill or ability. Yes - inappropriate speed can cause accidents, but idiots driving at 5km/h below the speed limit in terrible conditions cause far, far more - and worse - accidents.

Edited by gjm

17 hours ago, gjm said:

NZTA are an over-sized under-performing governmental anachronism. They don't actually do anything, other than collect money. No-one there actually contributes directly to anything: they simply engage a sub-contractor who will engage their own sub-contractors, who delegate and sub-contract...

That is a sweeping generalisation about a very large and broad government agency. Whilst I agree with what you have said in terms of the road maintenance aspect, there is a lot more to it than just that.

3 hours ago, gjm said:

Reviewing NZTA would mean acknowledging a government department was a failure, and they really don't want that.

There has been a recent external review of at least some aspects of NZTA, you will have seen a number of stories about WoF and HT certifiers losing their licenses, these came about as the result of the review.

There are a number of very good people in the NZTA battling against many things (including Political interference and under-resourcing) to do “the right thing”.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Driftit said:

Ah that is good to hear!

Not sure if this counts as a rant or not, but I've lost $25K worth of irreplaceable vinyl to the floods. I'm out of the country, as was my good friend whom was storing it for me. I was waiting for the phone call upon when they got back, and had mentally prepared for it, but I honestly feel relieved.

Most of it was single release / no repress, so there's no point in chasing the dragon again. I guess the question is, what the F**K do I do with my record player now?!?!

• Sad 4

3 hours ago, Neil McCauley said:

I guess the question is, what the F**K do I do with my record player now?!?!

Office space GIF - Find on GIFER

First world problems, drowned my cell so ordered a replacement ex AU a week ago - DHL has just processed it in Auckland, FFS 7 days from Brisbane to Auckland customs. Ordered a laptop for my daughter, two and a half weeks later and it's still sitting in Dunedin as Harvey Norman failed to request the stock transfer to Auckland. I did roast the Michelins through third today to blow off some steam.

• Like 2

On 2/3/2023 at 1:22 AM, Twistee said:

First world problems, drowned my cell so ordered a replacement ex AU a week ago - DHL has just processed it in Auckland, FFS 7 days from Brisbane to Auckland customs. Ordered a laptop for my daughter, two and a half weeks later and it's still sitting in Dunedin as Harvey Norman failed to request the stock transfer to Auckland. I did roast the Michelins through third today to blow off some steam.

Told my workmate about Rockauto for his Toyota. Parts arrived in Auckland 2 days after ordering. 4 days to get to Masterton from Auckland. Still two weeks faster and less than half the price of repco. 

DHL express are great. DHL parcel are rubbish. Mines been stuck at the infamous IPZ Frankfurt for nearly 3 weeks because the German sender cheaped out. Lucky its not urgent. 

I bought a xmas present for my wife late Nov. DHL carried it from the states, handed it to Aus post (but why?), who according to tracking have had it sitting in NZ since xmas day, and its gone nowhere since.

I emailed Aus post about it, they basically said "its an untracked service and too bad if its missing lol, ask for a refund from the seller". How did I know where it is? The tracking details. WTF.

On 2/1/2023 at 9:02 AM, Driftit said:

Oh, and the reduced limit is really helping... https://www.1news.co.nz/2023/02/06/person-dies-following-2-vehicle-crash-in-carterton/

3 hours ago, KwS said:

Yeah not the ammo anyone wanted against the subject. But with the increased number of distracted drivers and compressed traffic it was only a matter of time. 

7 hours ago, Driftit said:

Yeah not the ammo anyone wanted against the subject. But with the increased number of distracted drivers and compressed traffic it was only a matter of time. 

“Speed will be a factor”

Well of course it will, fatalities in stationary vehicles are practically unknown.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Palazzo said:

“Speed will be a factor”

Well of course it will, fatalities in stationary vehicles are practically unknown.

This crash was just after the incredibly frustrating roadworks that run nearly the entire stretch between Carterton and Masterton.  The speed limit changes 5 times.
50 -> 70 ->50 ->70 ->50 ->80
This all was once 100kph with passing lanes.  All passing lanes are now permanently closed.

• Sad 2

9 hours ago, Driftit said:

This crash was just after the incredibly frustrating roadworks that run nearly the entire stretch between Carterton and Masterton.  The speed limit changes 5 times.
50 -> 70 ->50 ->70 ->50 ->80
This all was once 100kph with passing lanes.  All passing lanes are now permanently closed.

What Pillicks

• Like 1

recruiters getting my first name wrong three times in an email with my correctly spelled name in the email address. I'm over this. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, lord_jagganath said:

recruiters getting my first name wrong three times in an email with my correctly spelled name in the email address. I'm over this. 

That’s common. I regularly get “Hi Simon….”

My name is Scott and it’s in the email address. Or even better, a phone call, “Hi Simon, I’m just reading your email…”

And these people are making business decisions? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, lord_jagganath said:

Recruiters who briefly scan a CV, interview you, and then tell you they have people more experienced. When challenged they tell you they didn't know... (And incorrectly spell your name .)

IT'S ALL IN THE CV AND COVER LETTER !  🤬

• Thanks 1