Apex

Quick rant thread.

1 hour ago, E63 said:

I'm kind of keen to deal with stuff like valve steam seals, alternator gasket, coolant transfer pipe, etc. to get some experience, but I'm fairly sure I'm not gonna wanna do it twice. I dunno man, V8's just have a special place in my heart. I think the S65 is the only other engine I'm interested in.

I've done the valve stem seals in my E61 550 and the alternator bracket but not the coolant transfer pipe.  If you end up wanting to do that work yourself I'm in the 04 and have a Valve Stem Seal tool kit similar to the AGA one I'd consider renting out.  I think the worst part of doing the alternator bracket was actually getting the alternator itself out and in again :)  If you need a hand with either I don't mind popping over for a couple of hours on the weekend either.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, E63 said:

N62 because there are so many bargains out there with different form factors - 550i, 550i touring, 750i, X5. Heaps of really good deals because people have been quoted $4k from a dealer to fix one or few of the above issues.

The engine is only aspect. You add the all the electronics, tired suspension, heavy cars etc, you see why very few people truly refresh them and spend the barely min on them, you rarely see any with big k's. Obviously you can do much the work yourself if you have the skills\tools and get parts overseas, but they never be what id call cheap to properly refresh.     

• Like 2

Is averaging 40-45 kph on a 50kph road in the early hours on a rainy day with poor visibility too slow? Some dude in a ute honked at me at a roundabout then proceeded to tailgate me for a few hundred metres, drove beside me on the meridian, then dipped his front end ahead of me before turning to bugger off. Too bad my dashcam wasn't working. 

1 hour ago, Choo said:

Is averaging 40-45 kph on a 50kph road in the early hours on a rainy day with poor visibility too slow? Some dude in a ute honked at me at a roundabout then proceeded to tailgate me for a few hundred metres, drove beside me on the meridian, then dipped his front end ahead of me before turning to bugger off. Too bad my dashcam wasn't working. 

No, this is just standard ute behaviour.

13 hours ago, Spinner99 said:

I've done the valve stem seals in my E61 550 and the alternator bracket but not the coolant transfer pipe.  If you end up wanting to do that work yourself I'm in the 04 and have a Valve Stem Seal tool kit similar to the AGA one I'd consider renting out.  I think the worst part of doing the alternator bracket was actually getting the alternator itself out and in again :)  If you need a hand with either I don't mind popping over for a couple of hours on the weekend either.

Thanks. Hopefully it's a little while before I have to do any of these jobs.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Choo said:

Wasn't a Ranger danger, was it? Ute bros are a pest. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Choo said:

Is averaging 40-45 kph on a 50kph road in the early hours on a rainy day with poor visibility too slow?

If people are driving faster than you then yes, 40-45 is too slow. If you're not confident travelling at the speed limit, in any conditions, and people are driving faster than you, pull over and let them pass, even if that means you spend half your time pulling over to let others past.

That's pretty much common sense actually, I'm surprised anyone would need to ask, although I shouldn't be so surprised because it seems that whilst it's common sense, it doesn't appear to be common practice on NZ roads. In Europe you'd probably get shoved off the road if you did this, or pulled over by a cop.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, M3AN said:

If people are driving faster than you then yes, 40-45 is too slow. If you're not confident travelling at the speed limit, in any conditions, and people are driving faster than you, pull over and let them pass, even if that means you spend half your time pulling over to let others past.

That's pretty much common sense actually, I'm surprised anyone would need to ask, although I shouldn't be so surprised because it seems that whilst it's common sense, it doesn't appear to be common practice on NZ roads. In Europe you'd probably get shoved off the road if you did this, or pulled over by a cop.  

Or, hear me out, remember that the posted speed limit isn't a hard target you MUST meet, drive to the conditions and bullying people on the road isn't ok.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Driving to the condition is so subjective though given all sorts of vehicles in all conditions. Very heavy rain or fog is usually where drive slower than the limit depending on roads and traffic.

If someone is being that aggressive then the best option is the pull over let them by, dropping the ego and righteous deescalates the situation and you will have worry\complain about. If people treated driving cars the same way as walking down the street then life would be so much better.

• Like 2

But it "started" at a roundabout? That could be telling...

Any chance that at the approach, the first driver practically stopped, even though NOBODY is on the roundabout???

My 75 year old father gets pissed at people doing that: "Oh dear, a roundabout with nobody on it, I'll practically stop, and give way, in case there is an invisible car I should give way to..." and he doesn't even drive a ute 🤣

Most people on the road are UNAWARE of what is going on around them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, M3AN said:

If people are driving faster than you then yes, 40-45 is too slow. If you're not confident travelling at the speed limit, in any conditions, and people are driving faster than you, pull over and let them pass, even if that means you spend half your time pulling over to let others 

Just because people are driving faster than you, doesn't mean that they are driving safely. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KwS said:

Or, hear me out, remember that the posted speed limit isn't a hard target you MUST meet, drive to the conditions and bullying people on the road isn't ok.

I'm taking that on face value as sarcasm given the EMPHASIS, and if that's the case I agree.

39 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Just because people are driving faster than you, doesn't mean that they are driving safely. 

I didn't make a comment or judgement on speed (or safety), this is a discussion about driving up to speed limits... and if you're driving below the limit, regardless of the conditions, you have an absolute responsibility to move aside for those that want to travel at the speed limit. This is not a debate, it's an absolute in road courtesy. Now, if the people you let past go ahead and crash, or get pulled over by a cop, then so be it, not your problem.

I want to be unambiguous here, if you are driving BELOW the speed limit for YOUR comfort, you must ABSOLUTELY (edit: safely) pull over as soon as people behind you want to pass, it is NOT your place to judge how fast or safe they are driving. Get out of the way.

Edited by M3AN
Shitty Spelling
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, M3AN said:

I want to be unambiguous here, if you are driving BELOW the speed limit for YOUR comfort, you must ABSOLUTELY (edit: safely) pull over as soon as people behind you want to pass, it is NOT your place to judge how fast or safe they are driving. Get out of the way.

Still doesnt give you the right to be a wanker and bully someone else on the road if you are behind them. Just chill out, sit back and accept the extra 2 seconds it'll take to get to where you're going.

If we were talking about doing 20 under the limit, it'd be another story, but 5-10 under in bad weather? Grow up.

• Like 3

If you ask me, it's situational. No one is gonna pull over because they're going 40 on urban streets. You wouldn't get anywhere.

On the other hand, if you're driving 50 over the Remutaka's and ignoring a bunch of slow vehicle lanes - you're a prick for not using them.

You need to put ego aside when dealing with other cars on the road. If someone is up your ass and tailgating, it's safer for everyone in your vicinity to just let them pass. My mentality is that people that drive like that will eventually bear the brunt of it - let it not be you on the unfortunate receiving end.

My girlfriend often says "I'm going the speed limit, why are they so close", to which I respond "Just let them pass so they aren't our problem anymore."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Trying to remember what it says in the Road Code, certainly something in there about pulling over if you are holding up traffic.

That said, it certainly doesn’t give the right to try to intimidate other drivers, no matter how slow they are going.

Unfortunately courtesy doesn’t come into it, far too many drivers bimbling along holding up traffic not pulling over. 

You could be doing warp 10 and some tosser in a ute will be pissy about it.

Ranger Danger is real.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Driftit said:

You could be doing warp 10 and some tosser in a ute will be pissy about it.

Ranger Danger is real.

Once they “somehow” lose momentum on an uphill passing lane, they become less of a danger.

I dunno if this is a rant or a win..

But as part of the LVV cert process on 130 was supposed to fail a WOF... and it just passed VTNZ one ;) 

Airbags are for pussies. 

Edited by Jacko
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Jacko said:

I dunno if this is a rant or a win..

But as part of the LVV cert process on 130 was supposed to fail a WOF... and it just passed VTNZ one ;) 

Airbags are for pussies. 

when i went to get my wof fail sheet for cert, they failed me for the noise level of my exhaust but not the fact that i had relocated seatbelt anchorages to the transmission tunnel, just goes to show how they focus on the wrong things often.

• Like 2

Wait, you actually have to fail a WoF when going for a cert? What if you pass? 

In truth, they had to get the lead wof guy out to discuss my car, they were concerned about the larger tyres (they're 235 40 18s, narrower than "stock" 255s...) needing mud guards at the rear, as although well within the arch (ET38, not exactly "aggressive" fitment.. it fits!) the curvature of the rear bumper could mean that they flick stones at traffic behind me... I sound like I'm making this stuff up :D 

Whole thing is f**ken farcical... 

1 minute ago, Vass said:

Score !! Save cert money and blast it on Woodstocks, go back in 12 months 🤣 Assume the failed WoF is to weed out the cars which are just not worth the certifiers time to go over when there may be basic / fundamental things that need addressing first.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Vass said:

Yeah, not sure, keep going but have a laugh about it is the plan. 

In my case with the modified suspension its an alignment report (within -1.5 /+0.5 camber of stock), certification reports (conforming to the NZ regs on which reports are acceptable) for the seats and rails (stressed seats, so seat belts mounted to rails), brakes are easy mine are bolt on and arguably "stock" (certifier goes and takes it for repeat multiple high speed stops, can confirm it has f**ken good brakes)... and then it needs a WOF within 28 days, which is should fail, and then pass once certed. Technically I also needed an auto sparky report on disabling the airbags in a non-sh*t way, but since I just coded them out certifier is happy. 

Edited by Jacko

1 hour ago, Jacko said:

...they were concerned about the larger tyres (they're 235 40 18s, narrower than "stock" 255s...)...

Wut?

255's have never been stock on an e8x, even the 135... how did they communicate that conclusion to you?

2 hours ago, Vass said:

in an ideal world, you wouldnt pass if you had illegal modifications, if you dont, then you dont need a cert

2 hours ago, M3AN said:

Wut?

255's have never been stock on an e8x, even the 135... how did they communicate that conclusion to you?

Typo 245s, It took a bit of discussion that to meet their dreamt up requirements would require a 125 width tyre... This is the issue it nearly failed on, and would have required mud gaurds to be installed to pass. Who trains these people?

images.jpg

Edited by Jacko
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1