Apex

Quick rant thread.

55 minutes ago, Straykiwi said:

Speed Revenue Safety Cameras about to quadruple in number "to increase safety"

Yeah right...

Rant over

Got a link? I've seen a ton more vans recently. Radar detector might be bumped up the list a bit..

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, E63 said:

Got a link? I've seen a ton more vans recently. Radar detector might be bumped up the list a bit..

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/133430315/speed-cameras-to-quadruple-nationally-as-nz-transport-agency-waka-kotahi-takes-over-operations

NZTA is calling them "safety cameras" in a Cabinet-ordered attempt "to shift the public away from perceptions that safety cameras are an enforcement, revenue-gathering tool".

Hahahahhh

• Haha 3

I'd like to see red light cameras rather than speed cameras. Not sure what its like in other parts of the country but here in Christchurch, its a plague 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I'd like to see red light cameras rather than speed cameras. Not sure what its like in other parts of the country but here in Christchurch, its a plague 

Insufficiently soft target.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

It's my personal mission to get out of the blocks hard and fast on green lights and simultaneously get on the horn for those dirt bag light runners 👮‍♂️👍

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Cement said:

It's my personal mission to get out of the blocks hard and fast on green lights and simultaneously get on the horn for those dirt bag light runners 👮‍♂️👍

In the Odyssey right? 😂

6 hours ago, Cement said:

I launch this POS at them:
image.thumb.jpeg.f28b3681fa82d73bf2bcef4666e2d86d.jpeg

OK... "Launch" might be a bit strong... but it sure scares people when it's converting petrol into noise and aimed directly at them 🤣

• Haha 2

Wairarapa SH2 roadworks claimed my windscreen this morning. Not excited about the replacement process, especially at this time of year. Given the terrible reviews of S+S Glass (who are preferred repairer) wondering if I should call Continental Cars and see what they'd charge. Screen has rain sensor and high beam assist camera so hopefully I should get an OEM screen rather than some janky chinese crap

IMG_8272.jpeg

Edited by balancerider
  • Sad 3

Aramex... again.

Amazon package 'attempted delivery failed, unable to locate premises" on Friday. Delivery location...

Auckland Museum, Auckland Domain, Parnell 1010, Auckland, New Zealand. And they have delivered there many times. 🙄

Yes, that's the correct address. And it's a pretty big building, in a pretty big park. Any courier driver that can't find that shouldn't be in the "profession".

So I called them and confirmed the address. Now, tracking update Monday "Held in Problem Freight", called them again, new tracking update Tuesday "Held in Problem Freight", called them again, new tracking update Wednesday "Held in Problem Freight"... ffs.

Their offshore call centre can't transfer me to "Problem Freight" (despite tracking updates imploring me to talk directly to "Problem Freight" because even they can not call this department, they can only message them. So Customer Service can do nothing except regurgitate what is available on the public tracking site. smh.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, M3AN said:

Aramex... again.

Amazon package 'attempted delivery failed, unable to locate premises" on Friday. Delivery location...

Auckland Museum, Auckland Domain, Parnell 1010, Auckland, New Zealand. And they have delivered there many times. 🙄

Yes, that's the correct address. And it's a pretty big building, in a pretty big park. Any courier driver that can't find that shouldn't be in the "profession".

So I called them and confirmed the address. Now, tracking update Monday "Held in Problem Freight", called them again, new tracking update Tuesday "Held in Problem Freight", called them again, new tracking update Wednesday "Held in Problem Freight"... ffs.

Their offshore call centre can't transfer me to "Problem Freight" (despite tracking updates imploring me to talk directly to "Problem Freight" because even they can not call this department, they can only message them. So Customer Service can do nothing except regurgitate what is available on the public tracking site. smh.

We never have any problems with our local Aramex courier (touch wood), had a minor Fedex problem last week (Tried to deliver) that extended it out by a week with no updates.

Ordered from Amazon Au yesterday, package delivered this morning in less than 24 hours. Take a bow DHL.

5 hours ago, balancerider said:

Wairarapa SH2 roadworks claimed my windscreen this morning. Not excited about the replacement process, especially at this time of year. Given the terrible reviews of S+S Glass (who are preferred repairer) wondering if I should call Continental Cars and see what they'd charge. Screen has rain sensor and high beam assist camera so hopefully I should get an OEM screen rather than some janky chinese crap

IMG_8272.jpeg

Mines currently cracked in two spots from the same road. 

Wairarapa Windscreens are my go to. Recently did my E55 with a genuine screen. 

I haven't bothered fixing the 1 series yet. Roads are still stuffed. 

23 hours ago, M3AN said:

Aramex... again.

I've got one of those...
image.png.d272a6c80a8da94e9f37aae2a53d7ff8.png

Picked up in Auckland, 18/12/23...
3 days and it's somewhere between there and Whangarei.

However, the NZPost parcel from Tauranga came overnight... INCLUDING Rural! B)

On 12/15/2023 at 12:03 PM, Gaz said:

Have you met Auckland??

• Haha 3

On 12/20/2023 at 12:26 PM, balancerider said:

IMG_8272.jpeg

Had a mission with my insurer over this, long story short insurers will only cover cost of aftermarket screen, you will have to pay the rest yourself (probably)

40 minutes ago, aja540i said:

Had a mission with my insurer over this, long story short insurers will only cover cost of aftermarket screen, you will have to pay the rest yourself (probably)

I would have expected a 'fit for purpose' requirement which so many of the cheap 'soft' screens just aren't especially when some more complex requirements are brought into play.

That said, they are insurance companies and are the demon brethren of the hellbeasts known as real estate agents. So they've probably wriggled around anything that means they should do something properly.

My insurer (who to be fair is otherwise excellent) told me they wouldn’t give their lifetime guarantee on the repairs if BMW did it as they weren’t an approved repairer. Otherwise, I was free to use them.

I said I’ll take the punt.

• Haha 1

@balancerider don't accept anything less than like-for-like. It's an OE screen that's cracked so that's what should go in, no ifs or buts. Definitely dig in your heels when they try and cheap out with a non genuine item.

Then there will be the inevitable argument about re-using the original sensors rather than new, which will never work as well as they did from new.

Dealing with insurance companies as a supplier to them almost killed my soul - the commerce commission needs to take a blow-torch to the entire industry.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, aja540i said:

Quote for new screen + installation ex-CC BMW WLG = $3100! 😱

2 hours ago, balancerider said:

Quote for new screen + installation ex-CC BMW WLG = $3100! 😱

It'll be done properly, all the spacers and other consumable parts replaced. Insurance companies don't like like doing it via a dealer as Smith and Smith will do glass only for $800

• Like 2

I doubt very much if Smith & Smith have all the right equipment for re-calibrating all the sensors either. Auto lights and auto wipers no biggie, but if you’ve got the adaptive cruise etc it can be a bit more important.

Have come across quite a few cases of insurances companies not wanting to pay out to do it properly, some owners have dug in their heels and got the genuine parts in the end, a few haven’t, and a few have had to have the aftermarket screens pulled out and genuine ones put in to get stuff to work.

They certainly weren't my first choice @E30 325i Rag-Top but the car will be out of comission til 12th Jan otherwise. I think my ideal option would've been a non chain outfit fitting an OEM screen but that wouldn't have been any quicker Fortunately it only has auto wipers and high beam assist so hopefully a lower chance of being stuffed up. I'm realistic that it might need another screen (the 'buy cheap, buy twice' principle at work)

• Like 1