Apex

Quick rant thread.

4 hours ago, GorGasm said:

Capital Tyres in Hamilton sorted me out.  Good bunch of guys, happy to hear me out, and dialed the car in to as close to the specs I provided as possible.  Excellent customer service.

Yeah they have been my go to for awhile and we get our customers cars done there too. Never had an issue with a vehicle driving poorly after being done.

• Like 1

I would just like to add to the numerous rants pertaining to selling an item on Facebook Marketplace. 

So I recently listed for sale my 2006 Audi S8 V10 on Trademe (I actually sold it last weekend), and along with it I also listed my 2006 Audi S6 V10 on Facebook Marketplace. 

I had bought the S6 on a whim for three reasons; it was cheap, had thousands in receipts, and would be some temporary fun. 

The car has a suspected blown head-gasket. When I went and looked at it there was some oil in the coolant but it wasn't overheating and it was running fine, no bubbles in expansion tank and no milky residue in oil, so I bought it. Drove it over an hour home, bombed around in it for a few days, noticed it was using heaps of coolant and then saw milky residue was starting to form on the oil cap. 

No worries, the car was primarily bought because it has had a brand new intake manifold costing $4.7K just for the part and new injectors which were over $2K along with a stack of other work such as new high pressure fuel pump seals etc. Along with this its got all the S6 goodies like bucket seats, big brakes, carbon fibre interior trim, bose audio etc etc. If anything happened to the S8 my plan was to take whatever bits I wanted off the S6 and then part out the rest and probably make most of my money back, if not turn a profit. 

But since I was selling my S8 it made sense to get rid of the S6 which was sitting out on the road doing nothing and I couldn't be bothered parting it out, so onto Facebook Marketplace it went with a price of $4.4K (just wanted what I paid for it which was $4K).

Bare in mind the car still runs and drives, has WOF and Rego and is 100% complete, so can either be fixed, at which point its probably worth around 13K or could be parted out for heaps of $$$ too.

Well naturally because its cheap I got over 60 messages about it. 

At least half are the typical "Is this still available", to which I reply and then get left on seen. 

- I've had at least 5 people pledge to buy the car and then ghost me/not turn up. The most recent example offered to send me a deposit to secure the car, to which I stupidly replied saying "we can just sort this all in one go when you come to collect it", and fast forward 2 days and he does a no show, even though we had discussed loading the car onto his trailer etc etc. 

- I have one unlikeable individual who messages me daily offering 2.5K and asking when he can come collect it; like bro I can take 2 things off this car and sell them for more than you are offering, and anyway with an attitude like that, I would rather give away the car than sell it to you. 

- I've been offered countless trades. An E65 730D (which honestly looked quite nice)... until I was told it has an air suspension levelling fault, manual Suzuki Swift, NZ New E39 530i M Sport + 1K (was actually very tempted by that one), a tuned 1.8T Audi A3.... with no wof and reg, Mazda 6... but DIY painted orange and with a massive rear wing etc etc. 

- But what takes the cake for the best trade I have been offered was a straight swap for a de-registered Dodge Caliber needing a clutch master cylinder. Like yeah what a great deal, maybe if you throw in 5K my way I will consider...

To add some salt to the wound the car decided to snap its bonnet latch the other day so I can't even run it for long because I can't put coolant in it, so my original plan of putting some headgasket stop leak in and seeing how many minutes/hours/days/weeks of added fun I can get can't be done. Spent 3 hours trying to sort it but you really need an inspection camera to sort it and I don't want to spend any money on this car lol. 

So at this point I'm so fed up with them all I almost have enough motivation to start parting the car out just to prove a point, especially when I have people requesting parts off it already... until I remember that I will have to deal with people like this when I'm selling parts for it. 

Heaps of money to be made though with the gearbox, intake manifold, injectors, ignition coils, cats, wheels, bucket seats, HID lights etc. Hell even the block would be worth some money for someone to make a coffee table out of! 

But can I be bothered? Thats the real question. 

But anyway, vent over. 

• Like 5

It does not pay to have high expectations from the denizens of FB marketplace... 

Edited by jon dee
grammar
  • Like 3

Ugh, also trying to sell my Gravel Express on Facebook/TradeMe, and I feel you there. 
So many stupid offers, or "I'll send a mate around to look at it", and nothing ever gets organised.
No, I don't want you Lifted hilux that's been abused all the time. No, I won't drive it to Nelson, I already told you it's un-certed and doesn't have a WoF.

• Like 1

Mines on TM. Had a question about selling the wheels separately and a guy who wanted to arrange an AA inspection who I never heard from again. Apart from that I think a detailed description weeds out a lot of idiots and I don't use facebook.

1 hour ago, Blackie said:

Mines on TM. Had a question about selling the wheels separately and a guy who wanted to arrange an AA inspection who I never heard from again. Apart from that I think a detailed description weeds out a lot of idiots and I don't use facebook.

Put my S6 on trademe 3 days ago and its sold already. Can't see myself using Marketplace again in a hurry. So far, every car I have sold in the last year, the buyer found it on trademe. 

It's just a shame trademe is starting to be plagued by time wasters. Genuinely cannot fathom why people bother to organise things like a viewing or inspection and never contact you again. 

Groups are much better than marketplace even though exposure is limited. Supporting scummy trademe is last resort for me these days.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Groups are much better than marketplace even though exposure is limited. Supporting scummy trademe is last resort for me these days.

Agree. Sold my E34 via the E34 group in less than an hour. Target the groups that love the cars. Engage with fellow enthusiasts.

Marketplace and Trademe are tough going. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Very true, was around $170 to list my S8 on trademe! Ludicrous

2 hours ago, Eagle said:

Selling a Merc 500SL.
Had over 40 enquiries.
All questions have been answered. (Half or so have been from Australia...)
No-one has quibbled about the price.
No-one has viewed.
Still for sale.

From my limited Mercedes experience they aren't the easiest cars to sell. The older ones certainly dont appear have the fan base numbers in this country like they do in US etc.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Eagle said:

From my limited Mercedes experience they aren't the easiest cars to sell. The older ones certainly dont appear have the fan base numbers in this country like they do in US etc.

Could be an NZ 'thing'. Those who own them, love them.

I'd not expected to be selling and hadn't considered the possible problems that might present, but change of health circumstances means it is no longer a practical idea.

20 minutes ago, gjm said:

Could be an NZ 'thing'. Those who own them, love them.

The guy my old W140 sold to already had 2 of them. He was a big Russian though so certainly the type for that car.

22 minutes ago, gjm said:

I'd not expected to be selling and hadn't considered the possible problems that might present, but change of health circumstances means it is no longer a practical idea.

Unfortunate you have to sell it. Suppose it comes down to how fast you are wanting it gone and the price reflecting that. 

11 hours ago, Eagle said:

Not wrong. 

Specific models go for good coin (pre 1990s coupes, convertibles and wagons), but nearly all sedans with the exception of W108 are hugely undervalued compared to everything else out there (except maybe XJ Jags, Silver Shadow Rolls and E32 7 series). 

Last year I got $12k for this 280SE. It is in pretty good condition. I've seen Mk 5 Cortinas and 4 cylinder Holden Commodores have higher asking prices 😂

Theres a V8 one on TM now for $12k and you'd struggle to find a better entry into the classic car scene. 

1-E115-D94-427-E-44-C4-BDC7-1-FB52-B38-C

My V12 Coupe I sold in 2020 for $8500. I should have held onto it, an exceptional car and a bargain considering what it is. Currently one on TM for $10k. 

56961-A71-9-A52-49-A1-A86-B-12-EDF850584

• Like 5

Gas stations that are clearly just keeping the tax reduction for themselves.
98 Octane at BP Martinborough was $3.409/L
Questioning the staff they just said it is what it is.
No doubt kept high to rip off all the Wellingtonians over the weekend.

I tried to update Waze with their fuel prices.  It was such a jump up in price that the app rejected my prices saying it was not possible and the prices were invalid.  Haha Sigh...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

That annoys me, grrrr. Like the stations that still don’t comply with the requirement to post pricing of all fuel types.

1 hour ago, Driftit said:

Gas stations that are clearly just keeping the tax reduction for themselves.
98 Octane at BP Martinborough was $3.409/L
Questioning the staff they just said it is what it is.
No doubt kept high to rip off all the Wellingtonians over the weekend.

I tried to update Waze with their fuel prices.  It was such a jump up in price that the app rejected my prices saying it was not possible and the prices were invalid.  Haha Sigh...

This is rank and exactly what the Govt. said they would stamp out, you can report excessive prices to MBIE (https://www.mbie.govt.nz/building-and-energy/energy-and-natural-resources/energy-statistics-and-modelling/energy-statistics/weekly-fuel-price-monitoring/).

Also, use Gaspy rather than Waze to see local prices, if one station is excessively high then report them.

• Like 1

Paying $2.68 here for 95 at NPD.  The BP up the road is charging more than that for 91.  BP is always expensive as hell.

2 minutes ago, GorGasm said:

Paying $2.68 here for 95 at NPD.  The BP up the road is charging more than that for 91.  BP is always expensive as hell.

I never go to BP, they often never have 95 down here and just have 91 or 98 at ridiculous prices.   They do have nice peppery steak pies but I can be agile in my choices of cuisine :)

Seems gaspy was updated today for Martinborough BP. Dropped 50c. Definitely kept it high for the weekend. Figuring out how to report them.

Edited by Driftit

You know that things are well broken when "boy racers" have gone from harmless park ups, to the midnight drag train, to blocking off roads in industrial estates and now to attacking milk tankers. FFS, I think a fair amount of us went through at least some of this, but "back in the day" we had some respect for the law as there appeared to be repercussions for our actions. Getting over reading the news of idiots who are clearly untouchable destroying roads and private property, with everyday people getting to the point where they take the law into their own hands and then get prosecuted. Strange how the police have no capacity to be everywhere to bring a end to this burnout culture, but have all the resources to prosecute individuals that try to protect their property, family etc from this sort of behaviour.

I'm not anti cops, just sick of driving from home to my daughters school and just seeing new black rubber everyday. Nothing is sacred, the intersection outside the local cemetery looks like the burn out box at Meremere. I spoke with the local cops who basically said that this is the biggest issue they currently face in rural south Auckland. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Twistee said:

the intersection outside the local cemetery looks like the burn out box at Meremere.

Props for finding somewhere the neighbours won't complain I suppose...

These "boy racers" need to start policing themselves. What they are doing for fun is already pushing the limits in a number of ways, which inevitably attracts ferals- so deal with the problem, and then you won't be dealt to by angry locals, done over by cops who are told to "do something" and portrayed in media as if the dickheads are the rule rather than an exception. Grow up you dickheads is my attitude. I always took care that my idiocy didn't affect the public too much. As for spilling milk that very well could have been picked up from my farm... Wankers.

When I was younger the car scene was going nuts.  What felt like thousands would gather in Auckland CBD to cruise Queen Street and park up where the Oriental Markets once were (Now the Countdown and apartments).
We would all head off to the most remote industrial areas and take turns doing skids.  Was quite respectful most of the time.
It really started changing when fast and capable cars became much cheaper.  The "feral's" started turning up.  Dumb things started happening.  Thefts and property damage.  Abusing late night truck drivers (who once would just be encouraged to do a skid and would).
That's when we moved onto drifting.  Which we kept very private.  More in the style of Japanese small clubs you would see in the old Option videos, called it NIZAN.  We made sure we took care to not effect anyone else.  Created our own T-shirts and stickers and even held our own car show which had the Top Secret Supra and GTR come over from Japan.

I accidentally drove through the "Drags" in rural Hamilton last year.  I was towing a trailer.  They had setup on a main road and were blocking the rail line running nearby that I was trying to cross.  There was a number of non attending public just trying to get through like me.  Took about 20mins to clear it.  None of them gave a sh*t about the poor people just trying to get through.

I feel like we were more respectful back in the day.  But that could be because I was young and cared less about other people.

• Like 2

Recent events have clearly demonstrated that once a mob forms the authorities have no way of dealing with them. It doesn't matter if they wear patches, rides motorcycles, march with placards or illegally occupy land. A mob can do whatever they like with impunity. The government may react by passing new laws, but if they cannot be enforced, that serves no useful purpose. 

The inability of our law enforcement to deal with mobs coupled with the reluctance of the courts to imprison, has opened the door for all forms of organised crime. NZ is seen as an easy target for drug runners, scammers, smugglers, thieves and assorted thugs and scum that other countries are happy to export. The NZ Police are by far the largest gang in this country, have all the necessary arms and equipment to enforce the law. But they are are inhibited by bleeding heart liberals who have never suffered a home invasion or been subjected to a random act of violence by someone off their face on meth.

The Police don't shoot anyone who doesn't put themselves in a situation where they deserve to get shot.  The current "licenced to kill" campaign reads like an anti-police disinformation spiel sponsored by organised crime, and brings no credit to its authors. 

Let's get real. Sending one Police car with two officers to try and disperse a mob of "car enthusiasts" high on alcohol, drugs and tyre smoke is like trying to put out a house fire by pissing on it. The government has to grow some balls and empower the Police to do whatever is necessary to control and eliminate mob behavior before it is too late. 

Cheers...

PS: If you are going to rant... GO HARD !!!!

Edited by jon dee
Typo...
  • Like 2

I think the police do a great job. De-escalstion is the general tactic which is proven sussceesful. 

Offenders are identified and followed up with after the fact. Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it isn't happening.

There's always North Korea, China and Russia?

• Like 3