E30 325i Rag-Top

Is This Where The E30 Market Is Now..?

53 minutes ago, e30ftw said:

Quite an easy part to remove and replace.

Is it? Haven't looked at e30's too closely but looks a bit more involved that e46's where it's just held in with a few bolts. Is it riveted/welded/seam sealed in place? 

• Thanks 1

Probably just spot welded. E36's have a couple which you can drill out for engine etc replacement.

Yeah it is spot welded in place. It's not simple for a home mechanic but for a panel shop who can drill out spot welds it is definitely easy. 

Went and had a look. Ideally needs a front cut as the chassis rails are bent. Either that or be pulled straight on a chassis machine. It's worse than it looks in the pics

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

10 hours ago, e30ftw said:

Well that explains the write off lol

Haha yeah pictures can be deceiving sometimes. It looks like a pretty hard hit. These things bend chassis quite easily :(

4 hours ago, Vass said:

Yeah bro. But the chassis legs that this attaches to are bent. Will need pulling or replacing. I just went through a similar process with a clients e30. Had to get a repair certifier involved, chassis machine cost was 2.5k plus gst, then the 3d chassis report was 850 plus gst, panel beaters costs of doing the work, then recompliance costs. Also having 252k on it would have to allow for things like rear subframe bushes, trailing arm bushings, rotors and pads all round, front control arm bushings, front balljoints, shocks, handbrake shoes etc, it could add up quite a bit. From what I saw when looking at it, it would be a big undertaking but if you have the know how and money behind you as well as a timeframe for quick turn around, then go for it. Repair certification costs everytime the repair certifier comes lol it can add up. Just to make the other forum members aware of the process! What a shame though. Would be perfect for a reshell !

• Like 2

If anyone *does* buy it to part out for the sum of the bits - I'll take the red interior and carpet please!

I do find it funny the state of the front bumper - anyone whose pulled the mt2 front bumper knows that their density is only matched by that of black holes. The fibreglass / plastic (whatever it's made of) bumper reinforcement is over-engineered by about a factor of five - as ably demonstrated here, as it's still kicking and has transferred all the load into the chassis legs.

Prime candidate for a reshell as SJ mentioned - anyone got a cool colour coupe (Calypso / Lagoon / Lazur / Vulcan) kicking about?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/20/2023 at 8:28 AM, Vass said:

Don't see these on there too often. NZ new, later model and looks very tidy apart from the front end damage. Will probably fetch a pretty penny still. Parts car anyone?

Photo '4' of BMW M325I/2

Photo '7' of BMW M325I/2

Photo '13' of BMW M325I/2

https://www.turners.co.nz/Damaged-Vehicles/Damaged-Cars-for-Sale/bmw/m325i2/23222393

Now on trademe and up to 10k already. 

https://www.trademe.co.nz/44910359

Wouldn't be surprised to see it crack 30k

On 12/24/2023 at 7:04 AM, Neil McCauley said:

If anyone *does* buy it to part out for the sum of the bits - I'll take the red interior and carpet please!

I do find it funny the state of the front bumper - anyone whose pulled the mt2 front bumper knows that their density is only matched by that of black holes. The fibreglass / plastic (whatever it's made of) bumper reinforcement is over-engineered by about a factor of five - as ably demonstrated here, as it's still kicking and has transferred all the load into the chassis legs.

Prime candidate for a reshell as SJ mentioned - anyone got a cool colour coupe (Calypso / Lagoon / Lazur / Vulcan) kicking about?

If you change your mind about the interiors I’m keen for a gander and see if my wallet can take it 😂

At that price it appears it might be going back on the Road . Hopefully it will be repaired,

And... I've got  front cuts and lots of other parts if anyone does buy it with the intention to repair 

• Like 2

ive seen and probably owned more E30s than anyone still on this forum.

Unless this car was your great grandmothers hand me down with non-economic value to you, this car will never see the road again.

new owner should take it for a $70 wheel alightment at thier corner tyre dealer note the front caster values, that will tell you everything you need to know. its a banana.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

15 hours ago, _ethrty-Andy_ said:

Unless this car was your great grandmothers hand me down with non-economic value to you, this car will never see the road again.

new owner should take it for a $70 wheel alightment at thier corner tyre dealer note the front caster values, that will tell you everything you need to know. its a banana.

Not going to lie, 

That comment along with your ones on the turners Facebook post honestly seem to be nothing but trying to scare people off so they don't bid against you... 

even if it fetched 20k (which is what I would say it will fetch roughly and wouldn't at all be surprised it it does), looking at what they have been listed for it would still be well worth it. 

Taking it for a $70 wheel alignment is not going to tell you much as it would greatly depend where (unlikely) it was bent. and the only way to do this *properly* is tramming it or getting a 3d chassis measure (needed as part for the repair certification process anyway). you can see pretty clearly, that the hit has gone all but straight in above the bumper and has just dragged the radiator supports back. 

the whole "write off" persona in this country is completely floored as a "write off" has nothing to do with what the actual damage is and is solely reliant on values. for someone who has a front clip floating about (seems to be alot floating around after seeing this) this is a dead easy repair. with the correct procedures in place (hence repair certification), even if you had to put a rail in it it is absolutely achievable and still worthwhile.

In the situation of the above car, it likely isn't even a value issue. it's more likely an issue of available parts....

And before anyone jumps, We deal with repair certifiers on a daily basis putting insurance write offs back on the road. From small side swipes, to replacing complete chassis rails to chassis and body swaps

TLDR.... if the new owner parts it out... they need their head checked 

Edited by Arron
  • Like 10

2 hours ago, Arron said:

TLDR.... if the new owner parts it out... they need their head checked

What do you estimate the cost range would be to repair it for someone with no contacts? Surely this thing wouldn't be worth more than 40k in this current market given its crash repaired status.   

That’s the thing, if you’re able to do it yourself and/or have contacts to do it “mates rates” it’s a very different value proposition for getting it fixed.

Will it be a very lucrative job? Possibly, if you’ve got or got access to parts to replace the damaged bits. 

Please, please, please let someone who wants to fix it win the auction. Unfortunately it’s also worth a lot of money as parts, which is a much easier job…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

That’s the thing, if you’re able to do it yourself and/or have contacts to do it “mates rates” it’s a very different value proposition for getting it fixed.

Indeed hence the question. The odds are it was written off because insurance companies and most people can't do this, easier said than done. I would assume a vehicle like this would have been valued by a reputable vehicle valuer, so probably has a more realistic market value rather than an owner inflated one in a buyers markets. 

On 12/31/2023 at 12:56 AM, _ethrty-Andy_ said:

Bidding has certainly crept past the part car status , even at the time of your post at roughly 11k 

You'll be surprised what can be repaired , it's all about economical value,skill and parts availability 

Even  as a  disclosed write off repaired M325i I'd expect a book value of $35k - $40k 

It could potentially be a good entry level into M325i ownership, as the ships sailing with good examples fetching 50 to 60k 

I wouldn't rely too much on the ownership quantity of E30s or a wheel alignment as a skillful judgement , Chassis time, chassis measure and a repair certifier will be the new owners priority. 

Edit*

If anyone would require parts, I've got plentiful available, and  Or needing assistance in the lower to central north island with the actual  repair . Let me know 😀

Edited by Jono51
  • Like 5

$22,900 for a written off M325i - seems pretty crazy!

• Thanks 1

Guess my estimation was about…. Right 🤷‍♀️

• Like 2

fyi, and for posterity   image.thumb.png.6d24cb2ec3e9c34bf029f9a682c3530e.png

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

It is interesting seeing prices of regular E30s and Mtech 1/2s in Aus are almost the same as NZ but E30 M3s are way higher in Aus. 

BAT auctions seemed to have cooled off as well for E30 M3s. 

On 1/9/2024 at 11:12 AM, leonf said:

Do we know where this went?

On 1/9/2024 at 11:12 AM, leonf said:

Rego didn't 'expire' this month - it's cancelled.

image.png.d03810090e0d6941be8ece07fdc73b50.png

It was an insurance write off though wasn’t it? So rego would have been cancelled and need to be recomplied?

• Like 2