Jump to content
E30 325i Rag-Top

Is This Where The E30 Market Is Now..?

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Sammo said:

It’s the buyers that set the value at the end of the day.
 

M325i sales I’ve seen in the last two years:

Lachssilber Tech 2 $40k (auction) very nice, would go for significantly more now.

Red Tech 2 $64k (auction) stunning car

Black Tech 2 $50k (low 50s I think) (auction) very nice, not perfect

My Lachssilber one $34k (high kms)

Silver Tech 1 that a dealer is trying to flick $42k (auction)

Bang for buck isn’t a consideration buying a slow 35 year old project car.

Add another Tech 2

Black UK import 325i Sport $46,100 via auction

Market has definitely dipped a little 

Edited by Sammo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

///M325i sports have taken a ride on the coat-tails of M3.  M3 is still high.  Collector-grade ///M325i (how many are there - approx five in the country?) are rarely sold, so unable to suggest these have dropped.  

In the third division (not msport but high-quality cars), those who *need* to sell  will take what they're offered.   In the fourth division (what they call grade D in UK), there's dross acheiving good sales. 

We're heading into a recession, velocity will be slow.  Consumer confidence is at it's lowest since 1990.  I remember 1990 well, it was bloody austere.  Accordingly, people will be leaving their hands in the pockets. Meanwhile those with really solid cars will simply hang on to them and enjoy them, while the market stabilises and either supply diminishes or confidence returns.  This could coincide with a change of government next year.

I've seen this happen in the 80's, 90's, 00's.  Rumours of the demise of the e30 are greatly exaggerated. 😎   Unless all classics (including 80's and 90's Japanese sports, Australian muscles) have tanked, the e30 will still be firm, if slow.

Cheers

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Sammo said:

Add another Tech 2

Black UK import 325i Sport $46,100 via auction

Market has definitely dipped a little 

$46k is a strong price for that car, it's a long long way from concourse and priced accordingly.  IMHO. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Olaf said:

Given a red coupe with no wof or rego, rust, blown M10, auto, went for $8500 in the last couple of weeks, I think you're wrong.  Basically a tidy rolling coupe is now worth $8-10k.  A tidy four cylinder coupe is asking around $15-25k.  You've been claiming the e30 market is over-valued for years; can't understand why yours is not offered at a price that supports your argument!?

Pics or it never happened. Lol. In all seriousness tho - that's old torana, falcon rolling shell craziness... Maybe I should sell the touring (its a project car atm - so yea, no reg/wof currently) with the 5 x 15s with caps hahaha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Olaf said:

if you can build an immaculate 4 dr 325i for under $30k, do it!

I know of a fairly scungy and dereg manual 325i sedan that sold for 2k locally a few weeks ago. 

Therefore I will now be offering every e30 owner 5k for their garbage. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve lost count of the number of E30s I’ve owned in my time but the best I got was a manual NZ new 325i FL sedan, paid $5k for it if I recall.  At the time M325i’s were out of my reach at $15k.
 

E30’s appealed to me as they were a cheap car that with a manual box and rear wheel drive were fun to drive (I certainly learned how to deal with oversteer!). Parts were readily available and aside from cooling issues were pretty reliable.  I would have bought a WRX or something quicker if I had more cash! They were also a good money maker if you kept an eye on the trade and exchange - then drive for a while, detail and present properly on this new fandangled website called Trade Me!  They ignited the BMW passion and I eventually upgraded to E36 325 and 328s and then a E46 330i - they all progressively felt like better cars. 
 

Im still a big BMW fan these days, daily a X3 M40i and have a E31 840ci I am doing a light restoration on.  I can see the nostalgia appeal with E30s.  I’d always lusted over a E30 M3 but after driving one a couple of years back I was very disappointed, I think the M325i feels more like how I expect a BMW to do so, plus it would annoy me driving LHD.  If the right low mileage nz new M325i came up I would probably pony up and buy it, but as mentioned above there are probably 5 or so in nz and owners are holding onto them.  I’m probably in the camp of people who mucked around with these cars in their youth now having the means to buy a good one and keep it as a weekend classic. 


What I can’t understand is people paying $10k+ for rough auto 4 cylinder E30s.  What boring uninspired cars!  Kids these days can get much better bang for buck elsewhere. But maybe the problem is that the world has moved on? When I was in my teens and early 20s I wanted performance and fun.  Has car culture evaporated and people that pay too much for crap run of the mill E30s just wanting nothing more than what they think is retro style? 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@jjs Retro style is a big part.

What surprises my is how normal 190E's and W124's have not taken off at all - I guess they historically have had an 'older' image and are almost all automatic but for a retro cruiser, amazing value for money with build quality, style and great interiors.

I'm a one eyed E30 fan but would take a nice 190E over an auto 4 door 318i.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sammo said:

What surprises my is how normal 190E's and W124's have not taken off at all - I guess they historically have had an 'older' image and are almost all automatic but for a retro cruiser, amazing value for money with build quality, style and great interiors.

NZ market for any older Mercedes has always been limited. Less popular, less vehicles\parts and less support\diy.

Don't think E30's got their own rap track though. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eagle said:

NZ market for any older Mercedes has always been limited. Less popular, less vehicles\parts and less support\diy.

Don't think E30's got their own rap track though. 

More to the point, I've never heard "Oh Lord, won't you buy me a a BMW?" ;) 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, cause BMW doesn’t rhyme with “amends”.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very clean. Some panel gaps...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guaranteed to need at least some suspension work. One strut mount certainly looks like its decades old.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Expensive way to buy a car. Hammer price plus 15% plus GST on the 15% 😯

Most of the cars in Webbs current catalogue have been exposed to the marketplace for some time. Plus a few re-runs too.

Edited by Bandit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bandit said:

Expensive way to buy a car. Hammer price plus 15% plus GST on the 15% 😯

Most of the cars in Webbs current catalogue have been exposed to the marketplace for some time. Plus a few re-runs too.

Worth 10k just for the clock. Surely!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/10/2022 at 5:31 PM, Sammo said:

@jjs Retro style is a big part.

What surprises my is how normal 190E's and W124's have not taken off at all - I guess they historically have had an 'older' image and are almost all automatic but for a retro cruiser, amazing value for money with build quality, style and great interiors.

I'm a one eyed E30 fan but would take a nice 190E over an auto 4 door 318i.

W124's should be worth way more. Especially 300Es with the M103, have I got a deal for you! :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Zadkiel said:

W124's should be worth way more. Especially 300Es with the M103, have I got a deal for you! :)

Sold my AMG E36 for £12k, about 15 years ago. Made £2k on it, after sorting some bits and pieces. Saw it for sale 2 years ago - £9k. How is this possible? 1 of 7 RHD AMG E36 wagons, handbuilt engine...
Old Mercs take forever to appreciate, but when they do, prices go stratospheric in very little time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This was for sale at Sunday Drive for some time, appears to have been traded to another dealer to have a crack.

Lovely car and I personally like (some of the) the mods (Evo bits) - I suspect however the clientele who actually has $100k plus to spend on an old BMW would be wanting something more original.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/listing/3710609677?bof=YFwVpH6k

 

Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 5.03.14 PM.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, saw if for sale ~5 years ago. It is mint. I'd want even less original though (RHD)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Sammo said:

This was for sale at Sunday Drive for some time, appears to have been traded to another dealer to have a crack.

Lovely car and I personally like (some of the) the mods (Evo bits) - I suspect however the clientele who actually has $100k plus to spend on an old BMW would be wanting something more original.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/listing/3710609677?bof=YFwVpH6k

 

Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 5.03.14 PM.png

I know the car well, back to the owner that did the mods. He had it for a long time and sold it probably 3 years ago now. Has passed through a number of sets of hands since.

When sold back then, all the parts to return back to standard were included in the sale, it doesn’t say these are now with the car, so I suspect they have been sold off somewhere down the line.

If anyone is keen to buy and wants to return it to stock I have the parts and would be happy to swap for the non-original bits 😁

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sammo said:

“At some point in it's life it has had a body swap and therefore sunroof is gone”

And then someone asks for pictures of the roof...??????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whats the '/Z' suppose to designate on the license label?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Whats the '/Z' suppose to designate on the license label?

Someone probably misread a /2 - seen lots of E30s cited (officially) as /2 or /4. (Number of doors.)

Edited by gjm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...