Jacko

The 130i Thread

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/130i/listing/4272504210?bof=EOVwkm6c - Brakes.... also got some weird stuff under bonnet. Looks like cert was done by dealer on import, kinda curious to see what suspension its running. 

Edited by Jacko
  • Like 2

Do you guys know any car yards that may possibly have any bmw 135i brembo calipers? I've tried making an account through "pick a part" but their whole website is glitchy and Im not really sure if they do stock 1series cars

8 hours ago, Angelo said:

Do you guys know any car yards that may possibly have any bmw 135i brembo calipers? I've tried making an account through "pick a part" but their whole website is glitchy and Im not really sure if they do stock 1series cars

Have you tried BM World?

8 hours ago, Angelo said:

try @HELLBM

My insurance is due to renew, previously paid $800PA for AMI agreed value at like $14k, this year its now $1200PA with agreed value dropping to $13700.... No claims, no accidents, no changes...

Anyone elses insurance sky rocket? Hawkes bay/Auckland floods the cause?

On 8/13/2023 at 8:02 PM, chuckitinbro said:

On the android upgrade question I just put this into my wifes 130i.
https://avinusa.com/10-25-multimedia-navigation-system-for-bmw-1-series-2-series-f20-f21-f22-f23-f87.html
android 12, 8gb RAM, 128gb storage,720P version. reverse cam. ended up being $880NZD landed.

I looked around for ages, read forums etc where people say avinusa isnt really usa based etc but they still seemed to have the best deal. Only had it in the car a few days but just did a road trip to taupo and back and it worked great. It's large but doesnt really impair any vision. touch screen works great. all the steering wheen buttons work, didnt even have to hook up to the aux outlet. must do it within the wiring harness somehow.

20230808_164645.jpg

Hi im also considering doing this to my 2008 130i ms   Did you car originally have the ccc version with pop up screen etc as per photo and how did you make sure the order was configured to suit nz 

IMG_3580.jpeg

IMG_3577.jpeg

IMG_3583.jpeg

28 minutes ago, Jacko said:

My insurance is due to renew, previously paid $800PA for AMI agreed value at like $14k, this year its now $1200PA with agreed value dropping to $13700.... No claims, no accidents, no changes...

Hi Jacko,

I renewed my insurance with AMI in April, and paid around $850 based on agreed value of $8k, so pretty similar to yours, taking the different agreed values into account.

Edited by AndyB

25 minutes ago, Jacko said:

My AMI Insurance premium was going from 55 a month to 85 a month for my old Golf. I moved to ANZ (Vero) for my 130i

35 minutes ago, Jacko said:

My insurance changed heaps in January on renewal, coverage dropped $2k in value from $15k to $13k and price went up $5-10 a month. That's with AA, agreed value. 

About $900~ a year. I'm an AA member so believe there's a discount on my policy. 

Edited by NZ_InFerno
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jacko said:

Mine went up 15%, in laws went up 39%.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Murray2023 said:

Hi im also considering doing this to my 2008 130i ms   Did you car originally have the ccc version with pop up screen etc as per photo and how did you make sure the order was configured to suit nz 

yes ours has CCC and the pop up screen. Screen had been a bit glitchy recently so that sealed the deal with getting a whole replacement. Nothing as such to configure for NZ i just chose the CCC version (although it looks like you can change to CIC etc in the menu)
Then its just what version of RAM, screen res etc you want. I added an external mic which i've routed up the drivers a pillar. seems to work well. wireless reverse camera works but their option didnt fit my license plate lamp hole. in the midst of fitting it into a cut up stock housing.

On 8/15/2023 at 2:17 PM, Jacko said:

Yep - got a pre warning email it was going to go up for the 130i, that was a ominous sign.  Got the letter from AA Insurance last week - up 17%,  and of course they dropped the "agreed" value but only by $400.  I had a claim for a windscreen on my E61 last year but in theory that's a different policy? I don't think they remove your no claims bonus for windscreens either but I might be wrong on that.   Heres the guff in the email they sent me.

Why is my premium increasing?

Our premiums are influenced by claims data and a range of factors, including your location, the type of car you own and more. Whilst we strive to maintain our premium levels and keep them as competitive as possible, many of our costs relate to factors beyond our control, especially the number and cost of claims we receive. 

Recently, inflation and increasing reinsurance costs have impacted premiums across the insurance industry. For us, claims have significantly increased this past year due to rising thefts and weather events, like the North Island floods and Cyclone Gabrielle earlier in the year.    

Additionally, supply chain constraints have meant significant delays in obtaining parts to repair cars. With more demand for parts across the industry, the cost of parts has also increased. This all means that the time and cost to resolve our car insurance claims has been impacted and the cost of claims has substantially increased.   

We’re continually checking our pricing against factors like the number and types of claims we experience and changes to the cost of running our business. This means that each year your premium can change, even if your personal circumstances haven’t. 

To better understand how your premium is calculated, please visit our dedicated webpage or read our blog all about understanding your premium.

P.S. if you think that's bad, you should see my house & contents insurance.  They should have sent lube in the letter when that got renewed.

Edited by Spinner99

Great I guess I will be getting the same thing from AA soon. 

Rising thefts. How is this our problem? This is not a Mazda or Toyota forum. 

On 8/14/2023 at 11:10 PM, Jacko said:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/130i/listing/4272504210?bof=EOVwkm6c - Brakes.... also got some weird stuff under bonnet. Looks like cert was done by dealer on import, kinda curious to see what suspension its running. 

I see this is still available, what did you spot in the engine bay?

The fact that they've put an Ali "Fxx" pretend shifter on it doesn't bode well.

Other than the cable ties, butchery to wiring harness, horn?, ignition booster bullshit box?

jpg.jpg

• Like 1

I should have looked harder! 😇

I'm loving the IBBB, or is it an I3B, or ITB?

Carrying a spare.. with the potholes on the roads getting so bad these days I'm considering at in addition to carrying my compressor getting a spare tire for long overnight trips out of town  (thinking of the smaller front size 7Jx17 tire/rim ) ... any thoughts on this?

Kelvin at BM workshops has offered one at $375 + gst and freight ..is that about right? or does anyone know of one in the back of their garage that they want to part with ( im in wellington)?

thanks in advance

Murray

IMG_3671.jpeg

IMG_3674.jpeg

Funny - I'm soon to buy a cheap runaround for $5-6k and saw a few 130i's had popped up around Wgtn... but there's no such thing as a free (or cheap) lunch; and certainly not when it comes to BMW's - nor other Euro's.

2 hours ago, Murray2023 said:

Kelvin at BM workshops has offered one at $375 + gst and freight ..is that about right? or does anyone know of one in the back of their garage that they want to part with ( im in wellington)?

I bought a full set with tyres for $500.

Edited by Harper

4 hours ago, SmithyInWelly said:

Funny - I'm soon to buy a cheap runaround for $5-6k and saw a few 130i's had popped up around Wgtn... but there's no such thing as a free (or cheap) lunch; and certainly not when it comes to BMW's - nor other Euro's.

Applies to any used vehicle really. Euros may cost more in general but it's vehicle specific. IMO the E36 318ti is the cheapest BMW to buy and keep on the road.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2023 at 8:24 AM, Driftit said:

Yeah you really have to follow the procedure. Two steps. Initial fill. Then start and whilst running fill again.

If left too long and shudder gets bad you may have damage to the torque converter. Mines not great but the shudder stopped. 

How long had yours been shuddering for before you serviced it?

44 minutes ago, Herbmiester said:

How long had yours been shuddering for before you serviced it?

About a couple of weeks. It progressively gets worse.

As this gearbox is in around a dozen other cars including some American stuff there are a few fixes online. 

One is a product called Dr Tranny's Shudder Stop. After a proper service and this I have not had it shudder again in around 40-50k.

• Like 1

So I have finally joined the 130i club, albeit with an auto. It has KW V3 suspension and certainly feels very nice in the corners even with cheap chines front tyres. The ride is quite forgiving and bump absorption is impressive. Its a bit low for my liking but of course being adjustable I might raise it a cm or two yet. It does have some weeping from the Vanos solenoids so I will sort that in due course. 

The car was cheap because I bought it with a slight shudder in the transmission. The seller was sure it has a ZF trans but I can only references to the GM 6L45 box on the internet. Its an August 2008 car with an N52k.Anyway I will look to get the trans serviced or do it myself when I can get access to a hoist. Is there a simple way to identify what transmission it has. Vin Checker and Real OEM weren't much use. Real OEM offered both transmissions as an option. 

Funnily my Daughter has already claimed it as her car, we will see about that. 

gallery carousel 1

• Like 2

Have a 130i also with GM box also, pretty sure I confirmed that by digging through INPA menus. If you have a cable and that software, have a look through the info/drive train tabs.

• Like 1

IIRC the GM has a metal sump pan and the ZF black plastic. Might be an easy way to identify them.

• Like 1