Date: 23 Sep 2020
1. Brake Fluid
Full flush and bleed with DOT4 (from Auto38 excellent product and value), with thanks to @Autoglym. Replaced fluid in the front last year with Front Brake overhaul, and Rear this year, with rear brake overhaul. It was time for a precautionary full-flush. Job done. If I win lotto, I'm getting a garage with a hoist!
2. Strut Brace
I'd sourced this on-sale from Garagistic a couple of months ago. Buying on sale and bare (untreated steel) it cost under USD60 delivered to my freight forwarder in USA. Didn't cost much to get it here either.
Having studied the box for a week or two, I noted it wasn't self-installing. Action was required.
I dressed it first, arissing the edges with a file, using scotchbrite, wax and grease remover, and rags to remove surface rust. I then etch primed it, followed with a couple of thin coats of primer/surfacer. A couple of days later I sanded it back with 600 grit, and shot two coats of Lachssilber (scanned and mixed to match the exterior by Union Hardware), over it. Then 20 minutes later added a coat of fairly average clearcoat.
Then I let it dry for a couple of hours, and attempted to fit it to the car, following the logic that it was less likely to get damaged if it was on the car, drying. This was wrong on a number of levels, not least of which was that it didn't fit! I tried jacking one side, which didn't help. So a little damage was sustained.
I put the bar in the boot, reasoning that it was less likely to get damaged in there, and the paint might relax as it dries, making it an easier fit. (not really). When I opened the boot yesterday, it was interesting how much the paint had 'gassed out', between Saturday arvo and Tuesday morning.
Today - having read the FAQs on the Garagistic site - we tried to fit it with the wheels off the ground... and nothing had changed. A little pursuasion with a rat-tail file, and precision TNE**, and we were there. Torqueing down the fasteners, watching the top plates forming to the strut towers, and waiting for the 'click' of the wrench.
M40 love, on Saturday.
Painted and ready
Admitted to The Bar, today.
It hasn't turned beans into peas, though it has tied the front end together, and improved the steering. (I put a brace onto my old Maxima, wow what a transformation! this is less extreme). Less effort off of centre, and mid-corner the camber is consistent. I don't think it was very floppy before, though it certainly is 'tighter'. Result!
** official acronym of "Trial aNd Error" - with thanks to Mr Crosby, my tech drawing teacher 😀
PS: Note in the bottom image, the clutch reservoir proximity to the bar. In the US of eh, they run their clutch master from the Brake Reservoir. Our right hand drive reservoirs foul the Garagistic bar, in standard position. I loosened the hose clamp and rotated it, and loosened the 10mm securing bolt for the reservoir, and rotated it on the mounting plate, to create space.