Jump to content
Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

Recommended Posts

Got some new bits for the M3.

Installed the new O2 sensor in the 130i. No codes.

Installed a DSC 'defeat' device in the 130i that turns off DSC upon startup. Works sweet.

Locked my only key in the 130i, fished it our with wood, magnet and masking tape through a tiny slot in an open window. Whew.

Had beers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Took the M5 for its WOF last week only to be told the rear brakes disc's were on the wrong sides! Continental offered to swap them for me, for $300! 1 hour on Saturday and they were back where they should be. They must have been like that for the whole time I have owned the car because I haven't  ever had them off!

Before...

DSC_0059.thumb.JPG.9a3f4be8e9ed7f99cedfbb3e08aa7c4c.JPG

after...

DSC_0060.thumb.JPG.c999065f1fb97e58672e1eb2b7fd09e6.JPG

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, aja540i said:

Took the M5 for its WOF last week only to be told the rear brakes disc's were on the wrong sides! Continental offered to swap them for me, for $300! 1 hour on Saturday and they were back where they should be. They must have been like that for the whole time I have owned the car because I haven't  ever had them off!

I'd be seriously questioning your wof guy. The only difference is the direction of the internal vanes, and that is only if they are contoured vanes and not standard straight vanes. If the internal vents are straight, it doesn't matter what direction the slots or drill holes turn. 3 minute video from guys who make brakes to explain.

The only time they would be on the wrong side is potentially if they are Brembo rotors with directional vanes.

Next time you get failed on something so trivial, do a bit of research - at the end of the day, it is up to the wof guy to prove the car has failed, and what standard. If he can't show the standards or the precise measurements/reasons for failure, the car hasn't failed and he has to pass it.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't fail the WOF on them, just mentioned it on the check sheet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last night the 335i had to be towed home, my wife was in the tow car and assured me she had done it before. Well it was 25 mins of harrowing terror! The lacks of steering and brakes were hard enough but when she went through a roundabout and obviously forgot I was there I saw my life flash before my eyes. Now time to replace that coolant pump.

  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Herbmiester said:

Last night the 335i had to be towed home, my wife was in the tow car and assured me she had done it before. Well it was 25 mins of harrowing terror! The lacks of steering and brakes were hard enough but when she went through a roundabout and obviously forgot I was there I saw my life flash before my eyes. Now time to replace that coolant pump.

Jeebiz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Herbmiester said:

Last night the 335i had to be towed home, my wife was in the tow car and assured me she had done it before. Well it was 25 mins of harrowing terror! The lacks of steering and brakes were hard enough but when she went through a roundabout and obviously forgot I was there I saw my life flash before my eyes. Now time to replace that coolant pump.

I hope the sex is great.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Herbmiester said:

Last night the 335i had to be towed home, my wife was in the tow car and assured me she had done it before. Well it was 25 mins of harrowing terror! The lacks of steering and brakes were hard enough but when she went through a roundabout and obviously forgot I was there I saw my life flash before my eyes. Now time to replace that coolant pump.

wasn't this the plot of a Mike Myers movie?! 😎

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, M3AN said:

I hope the sex is great.

Well the pulse was up thats for sure.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

checked the m3’s spark plugs to see if I was running the  ngk Pkr7a before buying some new ones if I wasn’t, but  I was already. So Thought I might as well check them all out for any issues.

Turns out two weren’t even hand tight and were getting some blow by. So thought that was my issue but it was not. Does have some more power though! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dumped $700 on batteries, both 130 and 330 batteries decided to sh*t emselves in same week... I blame Jacinda. 

119785245_376328077093696_7882575199737309376_n.jpg

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cleaned the car, and produced a little bit of low level car porn

😂

 

119949398_658807854761540_8919582277378828791_n.jpg

119888372_814441222635003_9205427857941354660_n.jpg

Edited by 325_driver
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two batteries installed and coded, and 13 litres of HPR5 dumped in. What I have noticed in moving from Castol 5W30 LL01 to Penrite HPR5W40+10 is that oil consumption seems to be reduced a lot, dumping a litre into the 330 and 500ml into the 130 in a 7000km oil change cycle used to be normal.. and I havent had to top up between the last 3 oil changes. 

Found the 330 is dribbling from the oilcooler gasket, at near identical km to when the 130 did it, so new gaskets, belts, idlers ordered.. ..

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Jacko i was actually about to make a mention on something about exactly this, I used to run edge 5w40, by 3500km i chewed through 1l, so 1l top up, and then in 2000km that 1l was chewed up, top up -> then lucky if i got another 1000km out of it before top up.

I switched to Penrite HPR, it's been 5400km since the fill and have just chewed through my first litre, which is substantially better than 3500km on the edge, hard to say 100% for sure right now, but if i make it to my 7,000km oil interval without having to top up, this pretty much would suggest that Castrol Edge oil integrity breaks down quicker than penrite HPR in a substantial way.

No real leaks either to add to usage, sump is relatively dry, oil cooler gasket is dry, block is dry,. Just the od "seepage" here and there in common places.

Edited by 325_driver
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Played around with Protools expert mode coding to try get the car to track oil changes at good intervals rather than stock BMW cruelty. 

Oil Service interval [length=2? distance_km=data_high(256,time_weeks=datalow : distance_km=data(256] is the argument in Protools - 
But with a bit of playing -

Wert_03 3030 = 14000km
Wert_04 1818 = 7000km

Not to sure how the time period works, but its given me 9 months with 1818 value.. So I call that success.  Resetting the oil service, and it stays stuck at 7000km intervals. 

Edited by Jacko

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/19/2020 at 7:56 PM, Jacko said:

Two batteries installed and coded, and 13 litres of HPR5 dumped in. What I have noticed in moving from Castol 5W30 LL01 to Penrite HPR5W40+10 is that oil consumption seems to be reduced a lot, dumping a litre into the 330 and 500ml into the 130 in a 7000km oil change cycle used to be normal.. and I havent had to top up between the last 3 oil changes. 

Found the 330 is dribbling from the oilcooler gasket, at near identical km to when the 130 did it, so new gaskets, belts, idlers ordered.. ..

Interesting - my M54 is positively guzzling oil (about a litre per 1000km) since I switched to Edge 5w30 (not sure what was in prior but I don't remember it using much) already planning to go HPR5 when I change it in the next few weeks , so good to hear - hope it helps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Jacko said:

Played around with Protools expert mode coding to try get the car to track oil changes at good intervals rather than stock BMW cruelty. 

Oil Service interval [length=2? distance_km=data_high(256,time_weeks=datalow : distance_km=data(256] is the argument in Protools - 
But with a bit of playing -

Wert_03 3030 = 14000km
Wert_04 1818 = 7000km

Not to sure how the time period works, but its given me 9 months with 1818 value.. So I call that success.  Resetting the oil service, and it stays stuck at 7000km intervals. 

The intervals on my Mini are insane. I reset it after a service and now its counting down from 25,000km!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BMW really have perfected their warranty period :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The magical oil that go at least twice the distance and time but only when BMW is paying for it.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just saw Maserati is offering '12 years free servicing' on new cars.

With services being at 2 years / 20,000km.

Italian engineering has really come on in leaps and bounds :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Sammo said:

I just saw Maserati is offering '12 years free servicing' on new cars.

With services being at 2 years / 20,000km.

Italian engineering has really come on in leaps and bounds :)

It's OK, the car will already be in the workshop when service is due by time, so they can do it at the same time. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eh, the servicing isn't so bad.

It's like having kids, no one tells you what the REAL problems are before you have kids.  I can handle puke and stinky poos all day but 3.5 years (and counting) of putting your own needs aside is taking it's toll.

The real problems with owning a Maserati:

  1. Having to deal with Winger Maserati.
  2. Insuring a Maserati.

I had a 90 minute conversation with State about insurance, asking questions like "how much experience have you had with high power cars".  I had to kindly explain to the lady that the Maserati is a 4.7L V8 and my last cars were a 5.0L V10 and a 5.5L Supercharged V8 and that supercharging could be considered the same as turbocharging for insurance purposes and that both were more powerful than the Maserati.  She was obviously just parroting the information on to the underwriter on the other line.  It would have been much more efficient to just conference the underwriter in.

They eventually did offer insurance, but they wanted $2400 a year and had silly exclusions like no glass cover and no other drivers.  I stuck with my current provider.  If I went and bought a nearly new Alfa Giulia worth 10k more the premiums would be about $1000.  Such a messed up business.

Edited by GorGasm
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

who is your current insurer? maybe try classic cars if you havent already.

Ive had good dealings with them in the past with certain cars. (they dont insure all vehicle types, in which case I reverted back to AMI - also decent)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...