Apex

Quick rant thread.

10 hours ago, Apex said:

Safety is something we take for granted here in NZ, it seems a majority are upset because someone has some colours on and uses bad language, or a 13 year old does a wheely past on a dirt bike or ram raids a shop that sells tobaco, vapes and meth pipes... 

that's possibly a good thing Because it has to start somewhere, and attitudes snowball quickly, when BLM can raze entire city blocks to the ground I think the different protest groups we are dividing into are going to be the issue going forward, We were always 20 years behind the latest overseas craziness but that is changing

safety also disappears in an instant if the countries economics sink, look at the fall of  Venezuela, it can happen quickly.

Immigration has made europe eat itself so hopefully we can learn from that

long may we be simple and moan about small issues please

• Like 1

On 12/8/2023 at 9:48 AM, Apex said:

Still, id rather it animals than humans. 

The amount of guns in América scares me more, or the automatic weapons Police carry everywhere in France,  or the people sitting in windows on quiet streets in Brussels and hand signaling each other.. or being followed for 6 blocks by Somalians everywhere in Italy.

Safety is something we take for granted here in NZ, it seems a majority are upset because someone has some colours on and uses bad language, or a 13 year old does a wheely past on a dirt bike or ram raids a shop that sells tobaco, vapes and meth pipes... 

I felt as safe in DC/US as I do here. That was when Trump got in and there were protests in the streets. 

You're so unlikely to see all the rubbish you see on the Internet and the news in the US. I would say your local dairy has a higher chance of being ram raided.

An equivalent job with health insurance and you would live a far superior lifestyle in the US. Especially if you love cars.

Start getting exposure to the crazy sh*t on social media going on here in NZ and you will think we have just a few years left before total collapse. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Driftit said:

I felt as safe in DC/US as I do here. That was when Trump got in and there were protests in the streets. 

You're so unlikely to see all the rubbish you see on the Internet and the news in the US. I would say your local dairy has a higher chance of being ram raided.

An equivalent job with health insurance and you would live a far superior lifestyle in the US. Especially if you love cars.

Start getting exposure to the crazy sh*t on social media going on here in NZ and you will think we have just a few years left before total collapse. 

Most of the US, and most Americans, are fine. Some total whack-jobs get the headlines and sadly there are enough of those to colour any views of the rest.

I love the "don't believe everything you see on social media" argument.

A.      I don’t have social media.

B.      I am capable of looking at actual data and making a decision based on that

C.      I have spent time in the US and experienced what it is like.

D.      Did I mention the actual f**king data?

Now, I’m no math expert, but even if you do some “kiwi’s can do anything, let use per capita” math on the situation it doesn’t look like a great place to raise a family vs New Zealand, there have been over 40,000 people killed with guns in the USA this year alone, over 650 of those actual mass shootings.

Call me a pussy, but I don't like the idea of unhinged people having multiple guns around my family. Myself included. 

Least we forget...

The moderation of this site was proven to be inadequate in 2020 during the heights of the whole Trump/Covid/Conspiracy thing and BS almost imploded. Many of the protagonists seem to have fallen by the wayside but it's probably territory we should avoid in the interests of harmony.

• Like 2

Back on the topic of actual ranting...

Took the touring in for cert today. All went pretty well, no issues with engine, gearbox swap, reinforcement work or suspension. Dude was very complimentary, said he loved everything I'd done and wished all clients were like me etc...

But then still had to fail me on front wheel bolt stud engagement.

6.5 turns is the minimum. Mine only got 6.

0.5 turn out.

What's that, like 1mm?

Stock rotors. Stock hubs. Stock (albeit E90) wheels. Stock wheel bolts (same part number as E90 and pretty much every other modern BMW out there).

Friday is the last day they can enter info to the LVV database this year so have to figure something out in a hurry if I want to drive it over the Christmas break.

Will pop by Mag & Turbo and rummage through their piles of bolts to see if there's some that are just a tad longer, but of course not too long as to not bottom out.

Could have gone worse I guess but bloody hell... To fail on something as minute seems pretty ludicrous.

Happy days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vass said:

Will pop by Mag & Turbo and rummage through their piles of bolts to see if there's some that are just a tad longer, but of course not too long as to not bottom out.

Hope that works out for you... M&T wouldn't sell me longer bolts, even though they were on display behind the counter. They said they "can't enable illegal modifications"... smh.

1 hour ago, Vass said:

6.5 turns is the minimum. Mine only got 6.

Same experience with my certification 🤣 Factory wheels, factory hubs, factory bolts etc ... I got some from the below and shortened on the front only where they were just nicking the (assumed) brake shroud.

Racer Products (chris@racerproducts.co.nz). The bolts are from Grayston Engineering in the UK. Used on rally cars etc. They are zinc coated / silver which may be a deal breaker for some.

Not listed on the site but here you are all the same: https://racerproducts.co.nz/collections/wheel-studs-and-nuts

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Hope that works out for you... M&T wouldn't sell me longer bolts, even though they were on display behind the counter. They said they "can't enable illegal modifications"... smh.

Weird that. Will see how I go. Called them up after collecting the car today, told the fella the situation, he gave me his name, told me to come round the back when I'm there and he'd help find what works. Fingers crossed.

16 minutes ago, Cement said:

Same experience with my certification 🤣 Factory wheels, factory hubs, factory bolts etc ... I got some from the below and shortened on the front only where they were just nicking the (assumed) brake shroud.

Racer Products (chris@racerproducts.co.nz). The bolts are from Grayston Engineering in the UK. Used on rally cars etc. They are zinc coated / silver which may be a deal breaker for some.

Not listed on the site but here you are all the same: https://racerproducts.co.nz/collections/wheel-studs-and-nuts

Cheers, will give it a go if the above doesn't work out ✌️

29 minutes ago, Vass said:

Weird that. Will see how I go. Called them up after collecting the car today, told the fella the situation, he gave me his name, told me to come round the back when I'm there and he'd help find what works. Fingers crossed.

Cheers, will give it a go if the above doesn't work out ✌️

Ive got some cheap extended ones for 15mm spacers if you want to cut them down to whatever.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Ive got some cheap extended ones for 15mm spacers if you want to cut them down to whatever.

Cheers, might take you up on it. Might check with the cert guy how he feels about shortening bolts first though...

Just had a bit of a play with it.

The bolts do only want to go up to 6-and-a-bit turns with the wheel on.

With the wheel off they go up to 11 turns before the tapered part bottoms out on the rotor.

At 6 turns the bolt starts to poke out form the other side of the wheel hub, but does not hit the collar of the dust shield behind even when bottomed out on the rotor at 11 turns and the wheel is still able to spin freely, so there is a bit of wiggle room.

Measured with a vernier - 1 turn is roughly 1.6mm so all I really need are bolts that are 2-3mm longer than stock. 

I checked my E46 - about 6.8 turns from torqued. Yeah 30mm bolts would be ideal but finding stuff like this in NZ is always a challange and expensive.

The logic of factory wheel bolts failing a cert escapes me. I believe the cert system is good for the most part, but that seems a bit stupid.

Not so much of a rant as a flabbergast. 

PPI arranged this morning.by admin of a HB nursing home for a Sienta welcab that i am selling 

they Called me up after said PPI was done after an hour

Resident whom the car is being purchased for had passed on overnight, car no longer needed. 

bright side, I know now the alignment of the car is off and it may need brakes done in the next year. 

17 hours ago, M3AN said:

Least we forget...

The moderation of this site was proven to be inadequate in 2020 during the heights of the whole Trump/Covid/Conspiracy thing and BS almost imploded. Many of the protagonists seem to have fallen by the wayside but it's probably territory we should avoid in the interests of harmony.

Lest we also forget the number of people who bitched and moaned about “over” moderation previously. Hence the reason this topic is being monitored but so far has not crossed the line to need moderating.

Thanks for the suggestions and offers of help fellas! Hopefully have gotten it sorted. Popped by Mag & Turbo and they found me some bolts that are just a few mm longer, at $5/each. Silver in colour but I can live with that. I count 7.5 turns now. Booked in to get those checked over and get tag put on this Friday. Hopefully that's the last of the hassle 🤞

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Vass said:

Thanks for the suggestions and offers of help fellas! Hopefully have gotten it sorted. Popped by Mag & Turbo and they found me some bolts that are just a few mm longer, at $5/each. Silver in colour but I can live with that. I count 7.5 turns now. Booked in to get those checked over and get tag put on this Friday. Hopefully that's the last of the hassle 🤞

And with the thread protrusion, you can put some nuts on the back now.

Safety first! 🤣

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Allanw said:

And with the thread protrusion, you can put some nuts on the back now.

Safety first! 🤣

Yeah it's pretty stupid ey. Took me a while to put 2 & 2 together but if the bolts start to protrude at 6 turns in then even with longer bolts you won't get more than 6 turns of thread engagement. OE hubs so this is how it would have rolled out of the factory. Good enough for BMW but not for cert, apparently.

But I'll keep my mouth shut on that one.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Vass said:

Yeah it's pretty stupid ey. Took me a while to put 2 & 2 together but if the bolts start to protrude at 6 turns in then even with longer bolts you won't get more than 6 turns of thread engagement. OE hubs so this is how it would have rolled out of the factory. Good enough for BMW but not for cert, apparently.

Yeah otherwise they'll want you to get thicker hubs. 

9 hours ago, Vass said:

Maybe there is slight variance between E46 and E90 hub and\or wheel face thickness. Least you can just chuck the old bolts back on after cert and call it a day. 

Speed Revenue Safety Cameras about to quadruple in number "to increase safety"

Yeah right...

Rant over

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2