Apex

Quick rant thread.

No HUD in your wagon? Lots of issues with aftermarket screens with those, glass quality has to be good for the image to show up correctly.

17 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

No HUD in your wagon?

UK import so misses a bunch of the gadgets on NZ new cars but hopefully less to go wrong (looking mainly at you, sunroof)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Daihatsu pauses production over safety scandal

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-67822887

anyone see this? Bloody Toyota?  3 decades?   how is this not as big as the diesel-gate

We seem to consider the japanese to have some higher honour system which on scrutiny? maybe there just as human as the rest of us after all

https://www.eurogamer.net/sony-admitted-the-great-psn-hack-five-years-ago-today

https://www.helsinkitimes.fi/world-int/24656-mysterious-fish-die-offs-in-japan-spark-concerns-and-speculation.html

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

It’s pretty unbelievable, VW cheating on emissions testing is bad enough, but falsifying crash tests, wow! And doing it for so long as well, how have they got away with it? I always thought that crash testing was done by independent (usually government) agencies to stop any fiddling of results.

Here ya go ya old farts

The “Green Thing” Back in My Day

Checking out at the store, the young cashier suggested to me I should bring my own shopping bags because plastic bags weren’t good for the environment.

I apologized and explained, “We didn’t have this green thing back in my earlier days.”

The cashier responded, “That’s our problem today. Your generation did not care enough to save our environment for future generations.”

She was right — our generation didn’t have the green thing in its day. Back then, we returned milk bottles, pop bottles and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over. So they really were recycled.

We refilled writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, and we replaced the razor blades in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull.

But we didn’t have the green thing back in our day.

We walked up stairs, because we didn’t have an escalator in every shop and office building. We walked to the grocery store and didn’t climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time we had to go two blocks.

Back then, we washed the baby’s diapers because we didn’t have the throw-away kind. We dried clothes on a line, not in an energy gobbling machine burning up 220 volts — wind and solar power really did dry our clothes back in our early days. Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing.

But that young lady is right. We didn’t have the green thing back in our day.

Back then, we had one TV or radio in the house — not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a handkerchief — remember them? — not a screen the size of the county.

In the kitchen, we blended and stirred by hand because we didn’t have electric machines to do everything for us. When we packaged a fragile item to send in the post, we used wadded up old newspapers to cushion it, not Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap.

Back then, we didn’t fire up an engine and burn gasoline just to cut the lawn. We used a push mower that ran on human power. We exercised by working so we didn’t need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity.

But she’s right. We didn’t have the green thing back then.

We drank water from a fountain or a tap when we were thirsty instead of demanding a plastic bottle flown in from another country. We accepted that a lot of food was seasonal and didn’t expect it to be flown in from other parts of the world thousands of kilometers away.

We actually cooked food that didn’t come out of a packet, tin or plastic wrap and we could even wash our own vegetables and chop our own salad. But we didn’t have the green thing back then.

Back then, people took the streetcar or a bus, and kids rode their bikes to school or walked instead of turning their mothers into a 24-hour taxi service. We had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And we didn’t need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites in space in order to find the nearest pizza joint.

But isn’t it sad the current generation laments how wasteful we old folks were just because we didn’t have the green thing back then?

Please forward this on to another selfish old person who needs a lesson in conservation from a smart-ass young person.

We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to … Especially from a tattooed, multiple pierced smartass who can't make change without the cash register telling them how much.

• Like 3

I remember reading that daft crap years ago in email form.  It's what they created.  Not what they inherited from their parents.
All that bad stuff like Teflon and plastic bags just appeared out of thin air.  It definitely wasn't a now old man that created them.

But also I drive a gas destroying supercharged V8 and do lots of burnouts.  I'm doing my part 😅

Edited by Driftit
  • Like 2

It boils my piss how short-sighted and surface level the whole "sustainability" discourse is nowadays. All blame and finger-pointing at the out-group without any deep and systematic analysis.

Both sides in this anecdote look to be misdirecting their frustration and missing the greater point.

The old fella in this article accusing the youths of hypocrisy, due to them supposedly "demanding" and not being able to live without all these products and services that were introduced to market whilst these youths were literal children and had no influence on anything.

The young cashier is misguided in seemingly believing that purely consumer decisions have the power to change anything. As if "green capitalism" is, ever was or ever will be, a thing. If every single person in society owned a tote bag and drank slurpies through a metal straw instead of plastic, we would still be not even an inch further from being completely and utterly f**ked.

Bottom line is - the capitalist system is built upon ever-increasing consumption.

More consumption = economic growth = good.

Less consumption = recession = BAD.

You cannot produce anything without creating waste and pollution. By gearing everything towards higher consumption and economic growth the system literally fuels pollution. To at the same time preach any notion of sustainability is extremely disingenuous.

So long as the economy needs infinite growth to function, any notion of sustainability is pie in the sky.

Either work towards fundamentally changing the fabric of society and decouple the economy from its cancerous addiction to infinite growth, or shut the f**k up about sustainability. You can't have both.

• Like 3

The kids skipping school and marching down queen st boils me

just being played by greenies who arnt the slightest bit green and brainwashed 

we went from sharing the bath water to single daily showers fair enough ,visiting 20 year olds over xmas have 3 showers a day

and everyone with a teenage daughter ive talked to said they have at least 2 ffs

when did that become a thing 

100,000 people flew to the latest cop climate conference 

Bloody christ dude, of all the things to whinge about... "the youths are showering too much"!? 😂 Get a grip, seriously.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Vass said:

Bloody christ dude, of all the things to whinge about... "the youths are showering too much"!? 😂 Get a grip, seriously.

haha point was really the irony, fresh water is going to be fought over they reckon in future

Totally. That's why we should slam big red STOP 3 WATERS stickers all over the backs of our Ford Rangers and continue to let cows sh*t directly into the rivers... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Vass said:

It boils my piss how short-sighted and surface level the whole "sustainability" discourse is nowadays. All blame and finger-pointing at the out-group without any deep and systematic analysis.

Both sides in this anecdote look to be misdirecting their frustration and missing the greater point.

The old fella in this article accusing the youths of hypocrisy, due to them supposedly "demanding" and not being able to live without all these products and services that were introduced to market whilst these youths were literal children and had no influence on anything.

The young cashier is misguided in seemingly believing that purely consumer decisions have the power to change anything. As if "green capitalism" is, ever was or ever will be, a thing. If every single person in society owned a tote bag and drank slurpies through a metal straw instead of plastic, we would still be not even an inch further from being completely and utterly f**ked.

Bottom line is - the capitalist system is built upon ever-increasing consumption.

More consumption = economic growth = good.

Less consumption = recession = BAD.

You cannot produce anything without creating waste and pollution. By gearing everything towards higher consumption and economic growth the system literally fuels pollution. To at the same time preach any notion of sustainability is extremely disingenuous.

So long as the economy needs infinite growth to function, any notion of sustainability is pie in the sky.

Either work towards fundamentally changing the fabric of society and decouple the economy from its cancerous addiction to infinite growth, or shut the f**k up about sustainability. You can't have both.

I agree with the anti capitalist notion, but still think we should have a strong focus on sustainability.  Just because things will run out under the current system doesn't mean we should use it all as fast as possible.

• Like 1

Non-reusable hose clamps.

I can't be arsed trying to find an Oetiker clamp on a Sunday afternoon.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, E63 said:

'orrible things.

On 1/7/2024 at 2:26 PM, E63 said:

Agreed.

A hook pick and a selection of stainless worm-drive clamps is the way.

Edited by M3AN

Garagistic order of speedo gears and rear shock reinforcements arrived today after 5.5 weeks. Well, the packing slip did. Parcel cut open and taken. Who sends parcels with “Authority to leave?”

• Sad 1

Regen braking that doesn't activate brake lights.  Absolute joke.  I watched a newish Hyundai slow from 80kph to 50kph quite quickly without any brake lights being activated.  So quick I thought their lights were not working.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Driftit said:

Regen braking that doesn't activate brake lights.  Absolute joke.  I watched a newish Hyundai slow from 80kph to 50kph quite quickly without any brake lights being activated.  So quick I thought their lights were not working.

question I've pondered. does the new cruise control with auto following gap toggle the brake lights every time it slows the car to maintain the following distance, does that explain why some people seem to be riding their brake pedal alot unexpectedly when you follow them on open roads, its very unnerving to follow someone like this

Rant 1: it’s too stuffy and hot at night in Auckland for a good night’s sleep.

Solution: Go and buy a cheap fan from Kmart.

Rant 2: on the way to buy said fan from Kmart you encounter a wide load pilot vehicle. 

They box you in next to the curb and tell you: “drive up on the curb asap”. 

But you’re in a low car that definitely won’t go onto the curb.

Solution: Gingerly risk reversing up the nearest driveway which is steep as sh** (it was the only alternative) 

Rant 3: Even though you take a wicked angle you scrape your FRESHLY PAINTED front lip that you only properly put back on your car TODAY.  

Solution: At least you’re going to get a good night’s sleep to cheer you up because you’ll be nice and cool with that new fan! 

Rant 4: Kmart’s online stock level indicator lied to you - there were no fans. 

Solution: Be grumpy that your car got damaged for a net zero gain, and still be too hot.  

01F8B0F6-D1A6-41FD-A88A-8E379E024EA3.jpeg

Edited by Kees
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, Driftit said:

No different to engine braking in a manual car, especially a diesel. But it is something I try to be aware of in the Leaf if I have a Ranger right up my arse on the motorway (so, every day)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kees said:

Rant 4: Kmart’s online stock level indicator lied to you - there were no fans.

The struggle is real, I think they update their stock levels once a month 😆

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Kees said:

driveway which is steep as sh**

Story of my life every time i have to collect something from Manuaku onwards in Auckland.  

• Like 1

Banks.

ANZ in particular.

Slowly closing High Street branches, reducing the hours they are open.

The terms of the account Mrs M and I have mean that for transferring significant funds between account, we both need to be present. Can't do it during the week due to work, so we'd make a day of it, go to Napier and do other things too. 200km round trip, 

But the Napier and Hastings branches are now closed on Saturdays.

Stroppy letter written to the bank trying to display just how inconvenient - potentially disastrous - this is. 

Accounts will be moved... As soon as we find a way to do that, and a solution which allows us access to our money.

Old age.

Be 18: fall 30ft and walk away without a scratch. Be 40: Slip on stairs and end up with a knee brace, crutches and a laundry list of pills before needing to be assessed for ligament surgery. 

Even more galling as I'm super active, run 5 times a week and golf nearly as much. Will have to be religious with my rehab to gain proper ROM back. At least I've got an excuse to sit on the couch and watch 8hrs of tennis a day now!

• Sad 2