Apex

Quick rant thread.

15 hours ago, jon dee said:

Having made a lifelong study of this particular phenomenon, I have determined that it is primarily high end cars with older drivers. The likely cause is that the dashboard presents so many options (buttons, knobs, switches etc.) that they have no idea what most of them do, and are completely unaware that the rear fog lights are ON. Not restricted to nighttime driving either !! 

Cheers...

I believe part of the problem is the growing trend of always illuminated dash clusters. Back in the day you knew your lights were off because you couldnt see your speedo, now you have to look for a little light in the dash to know if your lights are on. That and the reliance on auto lights and wipers. We're making drivers dumber with these driver "supports".

Edited by KwS
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, KwS said:

I believe part of the problem is the growing trend of always illuminated dash clusters. Back in the day you knew your lights were off because you couldnt see your speedo, now you have to look for a little light in the dash to know if your lights are on. That and the reliance on auto lights and wipers. We're making drivers dumber with these driver "supports".

Ha!

Feckin' work hack Nissan Lafesta, aka Uncle Fester, a veritable festering concoction of all that is unwelcome about vehicles, has NO onboard indication of lights being used (other than main beam). So being a conscientious individual, using headlights in low light, foggy, or other poor visibility conditions, you can arrive at your destination and not recall headlights are on. The taillights are sufficiently dim to be unnoticeable in daylight so walking away and looking back (why would you look back at such an undesirable POS?) doesn't raise awareness of lights being on.

And the battery is tiny . I'm sure an old mobile phone has more capacity. So leaving the lights on without the engine running drains it to flat in about 14 seconds.

So you carry a charge pack to jumpstart the engine of the miserable cage. Not a supplied battery pack or similar - one you have to buy yourself after finding you need it. Only place to sensibly keep it is in the back, under the floor, where there is an actually sensible storage space. Except the boot mechanism is electrically actuated, so once the battery is flat you can't open it!

Dash lights? They'd flatten the battery even faster!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, KwS said:

Luckily we had another foggy morning to further examine these f**ktards in the wild.

Two fairly distinct groups emerged..

1. Modern vehicles with driver support features - driving with DRLs on at front, but no rear lights. Probably because auto lights only work off brightness I believe, so not activated by fog.

2. Old sh*t boxes with no technological features being driven with no lights front or rear. Would be doubtful dash lights up, so I suspect they are going on the “I can see, so you must be able to see me” principle. Prevalent car colour seemed to be silver which is really hard to spot in fog. I also believe these are the same vehicles seen widely at night without any lights on!

2 hours ago, gjm said:

Ha!

Feckin' work hack Nissan Lafesta, aka Uncle Fester, a veritable festering concoction of all that is unwelcome about vehicles, has NO onboard indication of lights being used (other than main beam). So being a conscientious individual, using headlights in low light, foggy, or other poor visibility conditions, you can arrive at your destination and not recall headlights are on. The taillights are sufficiently dim to be unnoticeable in daylight so walking away and looking back (why would you look back at such an undesirable POS?) doesn't raise awareness of lights being on.

And the battery is tiny . I'm sure an old mobile phone has more capacity. So leaving the lights on without the engine running drains it to flat in about 14 seconds.

So you carry a charge pack to jumpstart the engine of the miserable cage. Not a supplied battery pack or similar - one you have to buy yourself after finding you need it. Only place to sensibly keep it is in the back, under the floor, where there is an actually sensible storage space. Except the boot mechanism is electrically actuated, so once the battery is flat you can't open it!

Dash lights? They'd flatten the battery even faster!

But i bet it has key in ignition beep when door driver door open. Such a life saving feature, those jappas were ahead of their time on that one.

1 hour ago, Eagle said:

But i bet it has key in ignition beep when door driver door open. Such a life saving feature, those jappas were ahead of their time on that one.

Nope. No beeps for key in ignition, no beeps for headlights are on and key isn't in the ignition, no beeps or indicators for doors being open... It's just like the old days (although even ancient British cars had a light on the dash when headlights were on).

It does beep when reverse gear is selected.

9 hours ago, KwS said:

We're making drivers dumber with these driver "supports".

Humans dumber. Im pretty sure the human race is actually devolving, we will back in the trees throwing poop at each other soon, probably via a stage not far off what was shown in Idiocrasy 

3 hours ago, Jacko said:

Humans dumber. Im pretty sure the human race is actually devolving, we will back in the trees throwing poop at each other soon, probably via a stage not far off what was shown in Idiocrasy 

Agree, I'm living proof. Just smoked out the lounge while the recently repainted firebox did its final cure. Nice combo of wife putting masses of the firebox black paint on and me forgetting to light a slow burning fire for the first curing session...... Now if it had rod bearings we wouldn't be having this discussion, but I'm pretty merciless to a firebox from cold. 

• Like 1