Apex

Quick rant thread.

I'm not so sure. I'd certainly try and negotiate a favourable outcome but I wouldn't expect one, a 50:50 split might be fair.

A pulley is a wear item, it can be fine one day, broke the next, through normal use. No dealer can be expected to anticipate such a failure and if they can't anticipate it they can't be held responsible for it. Unless of course you can prove they should have known.

Unlikely to be an expensive fix, see if you can do a deal but starting with an expectation that they're 100% responsible might lead to a defensive dead end.

It has to be fit for purpose, would you expect a car to break down after 3 days? No. Take it back.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, lord_jagganath said:

do i have a leg to stand on to get the dealer to fix it? 

Most definately, contact them straight away and politely explain the issue, and if needed casually drop the CGA into the conversation.

they even did a fresh WOF on the day of sale...  well, contacted the dealer, will have to wait to see what they say.

the cost for belt and the 3 tensioner/retainer bearings are ridiculous here, for a VQ35DE , around $500++

Shamelessly stolen from another group…

NZTA have just been rebranded and are no longer referred to as Waka Kotahi..

They are doing such a bad job on the roads the new name is now Whaka Kartaia !!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

minister of transport actually just needs to step down, between land transport/rail/aircraft/sea.. we are lucky boats still apparently float. 

309986596_438303824952562_5410824871583433557_n.jpg

• Like 1

I heard they're going for Wata Kotastrophy

15 hours ago, M3AN said:

I'm not so sure. I'd certainly try and negotiate a favourable outcome but I wouldn't expect one, a 50:50 split might be fair.

A pulley is a wear item, it can be fine one day, broke the next, through normal use. No dealer can be expected to anticipate such a failure and if they can't anticipate it they can't be held responsible for it. Unless of course you can prove they should have known.

Unlikely to be an expensive fix, see if you can do a deal but starting with an expectation that they're 100% responsible might lead to a defensive dead end.

Yeah nah. Dealer should foot the bill. 

5 hours ago, KwS said:

Yeah nah. Dealer should foot the bill. 

As I said, I'm not so sure, it's my understanding that you'd have to demonstrate that the dealer should have reasonably anticipated the failure and, if it's a pulley, that wasn't complaining at the time of purchase, I'm not sure how you'd do that. The law does not require every component of a vehicle to be indemnified from fault by a dealer.

No harm in asking, I'm suggesting expectations are managed. A negotiated outcome might be the most cost (and time) effective way of resolving it, sometimes standing on principle is pointless.

20 hours ago, Palazzo said:

It has to be fit for purpose, would you expect a car to break down after 3 days? No. Take it back.

It didn't break down did it? If it did then sure, dealer is responsible.

25 minutes ago, M3AN said:

It didn't break down did it? If it did then sure, dealer is responsible.

I’ll make it simpler. Has a component of the car failed after 3 days, having been sold by a dealer who is bound by the Consumer Guarantees Act to provide a good or product that is fit for the purpose for which it was purchased and of quality commensurate with the price paid?

Yes.

The dealer is responsible.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Palazzo said:

I’ll make it simpler. Has a component of the car failed after 3 days, having been sold by a dealer who is bound by the Consumer Guarantees Act to provide a good or product that is fit for the purpose for which it was purchased and of quality commensurate with the price paid?

Yes.

The dealer is responsible.

I don't need it simplified.

By my reckoning your explanation would depend on the definition of "failure" in this case. Would you expect the dealer to cover the cost of new wiper blades if yours started to squeal after 3 days of ownership? Or to replace an indicator bulb if it failed after 3 days of ownership? Just trying to get a feel for your threshold for "failure" and dealer responsibility, I personally wouldn't expect either of those things to be covered by the dealer for a used vehicle, perhaps I'm wrong?

You may well be right, as I say I'm "not sure", but I know the law doesn't make a used car dealer responsible for every imaginable wear and tear item on every car they sell. Sometimes you simply end up dealing with bad luck, as sucky as that might be.

Unfortunately There is no clear and exact definition, only the vague definitions of the CGA “merchantable quality” with a few automotive specifics are “known” and / or “faults”.

The whole process of the disputes tribunal is a bit hit and miss, and more often than not sides with the buyer. 

I would suggest googling the Motor Disputes Tribunal NZ or similar to find some better definitions, examples and the process. Likely to be more accurate than the internets views on a forum.

Managed to drop a valve in two identical petrol water blasters today, within 60 minutes of each other. Something tells me chinesium valve train is not that great. 

• Sad 2

On 10/15/2022 at 8:20 PM, Twistee said:

Managed to drop a valve in two identical petrol water blasters today, within 60 minutes of each other. Something tells me chinesium valve train is not that great. 

Hope thats Hirepool's problem and not yours now !!

Selling stuff

"Is this available?"

"Yes"

"Will you ship?"

"Yes"

"Will the fit this?"

"Yes"

f**k off knobhead, wasting everyone's time

"Will you take *insert lowball offer on already low price"

Was selling something that cost $50 brand new for $10 on marketplace. Got offered $5. f**k people.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Vass said:

Was selling something that cost $50 brand new for $10 on marketplace. Got offered $5. f**k people.

I see they are using my power buying techniques book, "I like your your sh*te more than you do, so would you take $5 for it?" 

1 hour ago, Vass said:

But if they were selling it they'd want $40

Edited by Eagle

On 9/5/2022 at 8:20 AM, Vass said:

FOR SALE signs in front of houses. House gets sold, some f**ker drives all the way out to slap a big red SOLD sign on it and leaves the bloody thing sitting there for another 3 months. Yes well done, you've sold a house. It served its purpose. Take your shitty sign and f**k straight off. Tempted to start setting them on fire.

quietly take them home.  they're excellent as insulation when you're working on your car, particularly in winter.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Olaf said:

quietly take them home.  they're excellent as insulation when you're working on your car, particularly in winter.

On a concrete floor in front of a bench. You even get to trample on some smug gits face while working. 

• Thanks 1

On the topic of real estate parasites, I was sad to learn that a mate of mine had joined the loathsome ranks recently. Kicked off his "professional" Instagram page yesterday and deary me...

Screenshot_20221019-150840_Instagram.thumb.jpg.ada01227b8acc07d579cb1326bf45ab9.jpg

Strong start indeed. Seems that being embarrassingly illiterate and/or dyslexic is a prerequisite to becoming a real estate agent nowadays. 

• Like 1

Having spent quite a bit of time on the highways and byways of this great country over recent weeks, I have become aware of new variants of f**ktards on the roads.

Not only is the right hand lane the natural habitat of poor lane discipline, but now the centre lane seems to be a breeding ground for “centre lane cruisers” to pootle along at nowhere near the speed limit or indeed the speed of other traffic. Even being passed rapidly on both sides at once doesn’t seem to suggest to them to speed up or pull over.

I have observed that some of this group are also members of the “womble on to the 100/110km/h road at 50-60km/h” club. The give way rules onto highways are clearly not applicable, and how some of them didn’t get cleaned up in the process was a miracle.

Thinking about getting an old Land Cruiser or similar to use as an Urban Assault Vehicle rather than keep putting myself at risk avoiding these clowns.

• Like 1

At least you can generally predict those types.

Some 50-60 year old woman decided it was a good idea change lanes mid roundabout and smacked into my friends E36 i was driving. She so was clueless that she thought i had hit her initially, but luckily a witness stopped. Probably a write-off now and you cant exactly go out a buy a tidy 318is with 120,000 on the clock.

20221007_140947.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 7