Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

Blasted 10years of grime and dirt off the new daily 20231021_133639.thumb.jpg.3540596fc014fad9ad8a94a023093daf.jpg20231021_140006.thumb.jpg.9572427a39b10e718f5598ffd6d42559.jpg

• Like 9

I bought mine nearly 4 years ago as i needed a cheap daily and it was the only thing local for 2k. Money well spend even after dumping a few k into it.

As far as modern day barn finds go. Popped on Facebook marketplace, the old boy had a number of cars but unfortunately has dementia and can't remember why it was parked up or anything. 

• Like 1

I do love a motorsport spec E36 in Estoril blue, even if it a lil stubby boi

• Like 1

I need to make a proper update at some point but just got my car back from my mechanic who serviced the transmission and installed the genuine M5 springs I managed to get. 

Pretty happy, car looks great. Just need to figure out how to lower the rear, and then I also need my side skirts on and an exhaust job - I need muffler suggestions if anyone has any. E34 exhausts seem to be a pain because of the odd shape and limited space. 

A8DD0A62-E859-46F9-B762-983E734458DE.thumb.jpeg.43ebb854e96fabf94f808615d20621db.jpeg

82DFD9BE-A1D6-4B5D-9E23-25582C4193B8.thumb.jpeg.e89fc0a08c7d2168ba49f75d953d94b2.jpeg

• Like 5

Saved the planet, one km at a time for approx 900kms, and sneered at all the farmers in their dirty diesel utes spewing smoke.

71883079384__EE4E52A7-39A0-4BE1-9DAA-92A8CBE58C67.jpeg

• Like 5

Now owning a BMW Hybrid l don't think I will ever buy a pure petrol car again.  PHEV or full EV for the win.

3 hours ago, GorGasm said:

Now owning a BMW Hybrid l don't think I will ever buy a pure petrol car again.  PHEV or full EV for the win.

I watched this recently, was a nice practical review of real world pros and cons….not sure I consider the prices of these vehicles very real world though. 

Edited by adro

Agree with a lot of that.  Looks like he's averaged 4L/100km on a 2.8 tonne Rangerover which is pretty good.  I could get close to 0 in the 330e if I didn't run to Auckland and back once week, that trip chews 5L/100km.

There's still plenty of naysayers around insisting that EVs are worse than petrol and other such nonsense, but as a form of transport for the general masses the writing is on the wall as far as I can see.

The only exception being hobby/sport/enthusiast cars for occasional use.

Edited by GorGasm
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, GorGasm said:

Agree with a lot of that.  Looks like he's averaged 4L/100km on a 2.8 tonne Rangerover which is pretty good.  I could get close to 0 in the 330e if I didn't run to Auckland and back once week, that trip chews 5L/100km.

There's still plenty of naysayers around insisting that EVs are worse than petrol and other such nonsense, but as a form of transport for the general masses the writing is on the wall as far as I can see.

The only exception being hobby/sport/enthusiast cars for occasional use.

330e is circa 1,900kg car AFAIK. So enough with the fat shamming! haha

I don't think there is that many naysayers about EV's anymore, but I have noticed targeted negativity with click bait headlines etc against EV's and have heard some bogans talking as if someone is actually trying to take their V8's away, so there is some confusion. 

As an appliance they make total sense, work will be leasing one in 2025 when our currant lease is up, even though work pays for fuel, its getting rather painful to look at and is at the point when spending extra on a EV lease covers running costs. I would not buy one with my own money knowing they are essentially obsolete and worthless after a few years because of the rate of evolution. Would like to see where Japan end up with solid state technologies. 

Disclaimer, I could care less about virtue signaling, decision is purely economic.

Edited by Apex
  • Like 2

Finally got the new rims for the E46 from the land of the rising sun :) Also got the car up in the air and gave things a bit of an inspection and clean 👌

2023-10-26_18-27-29.thumb.jpg.b2872ca8038c8b2fa8573200ea6eb6ba.jpg

2023-10-26_18-29-42.thumb.jpg.adfdead4dd7adbadddd55005487528db.jpg

2023-10-26_19-47-00.thumb.jpg.234ffd643a9140ee8b6d75c3ecc8e28f.jpg

• Like 7

A followup with the new wheels on :) Really need to go and have  glamour shoot some place !!

2023-10-28_15-16-17.thumb.jpg.26d008fa5260586f1ea7296d10455535.jpg

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Cement said:

A followup with the new wheels on :) Really need to go and have  glamour shoot some place !!

2023-10-28_15-16-17.thumb.jpg.26d008fa5260586f1ea7296d10455535.jpg

wheels looking great!

• Like 1

Took the 335i for a wof a few weeks ago…but turns out it had been green stickered, so had to take it to VINZ/VTNZ to sort that. But my usual wof man said about the tint strip being a bit low. So pulled that off to reveal it was cracked underneath 😪. So $600 later it has a new windscreen. Then yesterday finally had time to take it to VINZ, $203 for the pleasure and it passed!!

So now to sort the horrendous exhaust, in both looks and noise, tidy up the rear bumper, enjoy it for a bit then sell it on to out the funds towards the m3, compact and e30.

Treated the M3 to an expensive little something two weeks ago, that will hopefully be here just before xmas… so will post that once it’s here 

• Like 2

Took the 335i for a wof a few weeks ago…but turns out it had been green stickered, so had to take it to VINZ/VTNZ to sort that. But my usual wof man said about the tint strip being a bit low. So pulled that off to reveal it was cracked underneath 😪. So $600 later it has a new windscreen. Then yesterday finally had time to take it to VINZ, $203 for the pleasure and it passed!!

So now to sort the horrendous exhaust, in both looks and noise, tidy up the rear bumper, enjoy it for a bit then sell it on to put the funds towards the m3, compact and e30.

Treated the M3 to an expensive little something two weeks ago, that will hopefully be here just before xmas… so will post that once it’s here 

Needed a car with a tow-bar on it to pick up some new garden furniture on a trailer. Only car currently with a tow-bar the wife’s mighty E87 116d manual!

Using that in rush hour Akl traffic was not fun, crawling along between red lights. 
I must have got old and become used to “easy” driving.

Washed it to enjoy the two weeks between CMA and pine pollen getting all over the car...

IMG_4883 copy.jpg

Finally found something to replace the horrid style 33's :)  replica Style 65's

Pretty pleased with the look, they are in need of a refurb and new rubber however.

Also some pretty big arch gap, might have to lower just a bit.

sty65.JPG

Edited by mmario
  • Like 2

The joy of finally having perfect headlights, really makes a huge difference to the front end look of the E39 

Removed all the body trim and repainted as well

oooosh.JPG

• Like 1

Just a little job. Changing the engine oil and filter on Miss M's F20 116i. Strange how that needs doing when she comes home... :rolleyes:

The engine undertray 'flap' that on any other car is released and removed remains attached, folding down towards the front of the car; the direction almost any home mechanic will approach the area from, so it's in the way.

Doesn't have the usual sump plug, with a 17mm head, as found on so many cars. This one has a vertically installed socket needing an 8mm hex/ Allen key, so you cannot avoid getting oil all over your hand when removing it. (Remember the flap that's in the way..?)

And the last person to work on the car (not me!) didn't read the torque spec sheet. I had to use an 18" extension to the normal 3/8" drive ratchet to get the sump plug undone, and then I had to put some serious effort into it. When it released with a loud >CRACK!< I thought I'd broken something - the plug itself, the ratchet, the sump... Fortunately, no.

The oil is pretty black, even though the car is nearly 3000km inside the BMW specified service interval.

bought a daily driver so I don't have to daily drive my M3 while I'm building my  E46 compact daily driver, so I don't have to daily drive my M3. 

Boston green manual E36 318is coupe. It's rough but I don't really care, I got it for cheap.

20240104_140334.thumb.jpg.5e36b7bbffaec32ee1b3c3a78dad2454.jpg

20240104_173140.thumb.jpg.5a0996e64f805b2460fd99b51caa823f.jpg

My dads been wanting to build a M42/44 with throttle bodies and a lightweight flywheel so he'll likely start tinkering on it once it's not needed for daily duty.

Edited by Harper
  • Like 5
  • Haha 3