Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

12 hours ago, Navin said:

I'm assuming it's due to the auto hold feature which I leave on constantly, just didn't realise it'd reduce the life of them by that much

@Navin the cruise control braking uses the rear brakes to slow down when going downhill which tends to eat them

• Like 1

And the traction control if you’re a bit heavy with the right foot.

Gave it a much needed wash. Will tackle the carpets with my Bissell hopefully tomorrow. 

F9204371-91BA-4F67-ABA1-F3C193E8DFBC.jpeg

• Like 5

Took this for a good drive, em very tasty. Definitely considering ordering 

9EF91D90-C910-4EBD-BB3C-F25A37C7E5FB.jpeg

• Like 4

Not today, but yesterday I drove back from Christchurch to Dunedin, and wanted to see just how economical I could be, just for the sake of it. 
Managed 7.2L/100KM average over the entire journey, including the hills into Dunedin. I'm pretty impressed with that, especially for a modified car. 

Nearly 3500km on the mods now, and still running fantastic, flashed for 98Oct, running only NPD 100 the entire time.
Definitely a comfortable car for long road trips, don't feel exhausted or sore after the drive, a great improvement over my old 90s Subarus/Mitsubishis.

• Like 1

Had a very sad day.

The wonderful blue E46 318i has failed to proceed in an orderly and quiet manner. Diagnosis - run a main bearing. It was always a 'cheap' car and was bought for Miss M to use. After she bought her 116i, Mrs M and I used the 318i for running around and about, and back and forth to Hamilton. While a beautiful colour blue it was never in great visual condition, having been the subject of touch parking before coming to us. It was bought from Andy @_ethrty-Andy_ some years ago and has invariably been quite brilliant. Comfortable to drive, very economical, and (until very recently) supremely reliable.

Normal maintenance applies of course. Regular engine oil and filter changes, checks and so on. Just passed a WoF (2 new tyres, new ARB links), had a new battery a few months ago, and has 3/4 tank of fuel which we'll transfer to another car. Recovery from Te Pohue cost far more than it's (now) worth.

Economics mean it's just not realistic to pursue a repair, so it'll move on to someone who will find a use for many parts. 

I feel quite emotional. 😭

• Sad 3

Fun day scavenging at Pick-A-Part today. Pretty chuffed with the boot liner especially, didn't know that was an option for sedans.

20220701_142242.jpg

• Like 3

Got the newly acquired e39 running and driving again! After an oil change, radiator top up, replaced the seized fuel pump and new filter, drained the old fuel out and got some fresh stuff in it fired right up!

Did find an air leak pretty quickly, but fixed that easily enough and took it for a test drive and runs like a dream. 
Gave it a good wash in the weekend to clean all the moss and spiders off and out of the door jams, and is in need of a good cut and polish. 
took it for a wof today, and just need to sort the abs issue, which is a code 48, faulty valve, rear right, brake shudder, which I’m guessing rotors need skimmed/replaced, broken side mirror to replace, and sort the fog light that points skywards due to an Ill fitted bumper trim. Not bad for sitting for 7 years! 
Needs a few other bits to tidy it up like dash cluster bulbs replaced, passenger mirror glass is all foggy, and was going to swap the stereo over for an android based one that looks almost identical to the old one, but has a heap of other features that will actually work, unlike the tv and navigation is currently has. 
Oh and maybe upgrade the 16s to something more exciting…

Edited by euroriffic
  • Like 5

Thought I would get the ‘inner interior’ all nice before the re-upholstered interior goes back in next week.

Shampoo’d the carpets, cabin and boot, repainted most interior plastics and put in some sound deadening (mix of butyl and foam I had in the basement) in the spare wheel well, boot, inner rear quarters / arches and doors while I was at it.

Came up well, save a few little coffee stains on passenger side that are ordinarily covered by the seat anyway.

Can’t wait to get the new seats, door cards and floor mats in!

693ED0EF-FA31-446C-8884-B776EA610368.jpeg

72B18824-3A6B-42B4-A8C0-EFC29006B6F3.jpeg

8A4D1A7E-FEA3-4F75-B3F5-D2D5C74F736F.jpeg

• Like 10

The M5 got its annual done at BMWorkshop Botany, great service. No dramas, no issues with the wagon, captured some mid stream oil for me to send off for analysis. Having an independent workshop that you can trust makes the ownership experience much less stressful. 

• Like 2

Should also add I got all the gear out to detail the interior of the M5 then jumped in my wife's car and had an aneurysm at the state of it. So to get to my happy place spent hours cleaning that instead, then did a half ass interior cleanup of the M5. FFS, how hard is it to keep it vaguely clean. Vented leather seats just love crud in all the holes, I discovered a kiwi shoe brush with the shop vac is amazing at moving almost everything without doing damage to interior trim. So that was a positive. 

• Like 1

Treated the family E91 to oil / filter / air filter / microfilters and reset all the service info - with big thanks to Jon @Spinner99

(Just need to replace angel eye bulb then 'Check Control OK' 😍)

• Like 1

Took the mighty 116d to work this morning, luckily Friday & school holidays meant very little traffic so driving a manual wasn’t too much of a drag.

Fingers crossed getting home will be the same!

• Like 1

Weekend away to Taupo/Mt Ruapehu in the 535i.  8.8L/100km for the trip including up/down the mountain and cruising around Taupo.

It was into the 7.x range on the way down from Hamilton.  Pretty damn good for a large 3.0 turbo station wagon.

Edited by GorGasm
  • Like 2

To celebrate the car being back under cover again (sorry, still no garage for her) after almost two months in the Auckland winter rain, I washed it for the first time in 5 weeks.

Feels good, just need my long delayed interior back in and will be ready to be seen in public again!!

Still a bit of landscaping to be done but nice to have a better space for her.

FCD42DCC-EAC7-4E3B-A8AF-349108B03F53.jpeg

A88AE815-2F27-4D36-95E8-EE12D1484512.jpeg

• Like 9

Got a few missions ticked off on the daily 330. Ditched the old clutch and AC fans for an electric one and wired up the fog lights that the PO had cut off.

1668704721_2022-07-2315_37_25.thumb.jpg.2879396cb417e806cddd067f69eff1b7.jpg942072563_2022-07-2316_24_59.thumb.jpg.f9711a5936e7220ce3c0ea9b0a7a522f.jpg

Retrofit a multifunction steering wheel panel I'd gotten a few months back, all working and functional. Handy having cruise control in time for a local club outing next weekend.

1469088108_2022-07-2411_06_29.thumb.jpg.24b01e3d107ef810fe1e96476bf2ee33.jpg49772939_2022-07-2415_26_22.thumb.jpg.f352a85ba96421d43e6819418fb83ed2.jpg

Never going to be a show car this thing but great to finally get it to where I want it - all major oil leaks taken care of, no obvious bits missing and overall clean and functional.

Also hooked up and tried out the old laptop I'd set up for INPA, NCS etc. Reading all the data as it should so will be a suitable setup for when I'll need to code and flash the touring post the engine-gearbox swap.

276912521_2022-07-2415_39_50.thumb.jpg.90b34212abb2aae4b9ab1baa97bbeffa.jpg

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Sammo said:

To celebrate the car being back under cover again (sorry, still no garage for her) after almost two months in the Auckland winter rain, I washed it for the first time in 5 weeks.

Feels good, just need my long delayed interior back in and will be ready to be seen in public again!!

Still a bit of landscaping to be done but nice to have a better space for her.

FCD42DCC-EAC7-4E3B-A8AF-349108B03F53.jpeg

A88AE815-2F27-4D36-95E8-EE12D1484512.jpeg

Looks like you not only built a carport for your 325i, but a house for your digger 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Haha - its a little dedicated work from home office

• Like 1

Repaired the lower bumper on the e39 and glued some broken bits back together to get the fog light back in and pointing in the right direction now. 
Brakes weren’t looking too flash so got the front rotors skimmed, cleaned all of them up and gave the calipers  a paint ready for when the new wheels go on 😁                       Cleaned up all the interior so is looking a lot nicer, and decided to take it for a drive…             
Was running like a dream for about 20mins then all of a sudden check engine light was on and was missing like MFer! Tried to nurse it home but by the time I got to the bottom of the big hill/mountain it could barely pull away from the intersection. So turned it around and ditched it at a mates. 
Had it scanned and only came up with activation map cooling and missfire in cylinders 2,4,5,6Plugs didn’t look too flash so got a new set but no Change. Same with another set of coils. Hmmmmmmm

6 minutes ago, euroriffic said:

Repaired the lower bumper on the e39 and glued some broken bits back together to get the fog light back in and pointing in the right direction now. 
Brakes weren’t looking too flash so got the front rotors skimmed, cleaned all of them up and gave the calipers  a paint ready for when the new wheels go on 😁                       Cleaned up all the interior so is looking a lot nicer, and decided to take it for a drive…             
Was running like a dream for about 20mins then all of a sudden check engine light was on and was missing like MFer! Tried to nurse it home but by the time I got to the bottom of the big hill/mountain it could barely pull away from the intersection. So turned it around and ditched it at a mates. 
Had it scanned and only came up with activation map cooling and missfire in cylinders 2,4,5,6Plugs didn’t look too flash so got a new set but no Change. Same with another set of coils. Hmmmmmmm

Check you intake boots for splits. My e46 used to do this when I had a split in my intake boot I couldn’t see. 

also check intake cam sensors 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, hunter said:

Check you intake boots for splits. My e46 used to do this when I had a split in my intake boot I couldn’t see. 

also check intake cam sensors 

Cheers. Will give it a smoke test in the weekend and try a mates maf

• Like 1

Tried to love the snowfoam but best thing about it is the pictures / novelty.

Anyone in AKL want a free Karcher adaptor and 80% of a big 2.5 litre bottle of Autoglym Polar  Blast foam?

Pick up Beach Haven.

22871081-5022-4F51-AE74-905DB59C53CC.jpeg

Edited by Sammo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sammo said:

Tried to love the snowfoam but best thing about it is the pictures / novelty.

Anyone in AKL want a free Karcher adaptor and 80% of a big 2.5 litre bottle of Autoglym Polar  Blast foam?

Pick up Beach Haven.

22871081-5022-4F51-AE74-905DB59C53CC.jpeg

It doesn't do its job? 

2 minutes ago, C-130 Hercules said:

It doesn't do its job? 

I just find it’s quite a bit of faffing around for a car gets kept clean in general (E30).

And then when I used it on the absolutely filthy white F31 it’s didn’t really do enough to bother setting up the power washer etc.

Will stick to simple two bucket wash.

• Like 1