Apex

Quick rant thread.

Just light curbing? Many places offer machining and re-coating services for them (Diamond cut). Probably degrees of quality depending on their setups.   

Id sell them as soon the tyres wore out and get some normal painted wheels. Easy to fix and are more durable, another dumb modern trend.

• Like 1

I am having the time for my commute along a state highway increased from 30mins each way to 40-45mins each way.
Also having 21 raised pedestrian crossings installed of which I will need to cross the majority.
I am going to be interested to see what this does to my fuel economy too.  Introducing many new acceleration points.

An OIA was completed on how many deaths in the last 10 years on this stretch of road.  Answer was 5 since 2011.
Of the ones where speed was a factor.  The speed limit had not been a concern by those people and they were well and above any limit.
But they were included in their blanket stats.

1300 public submissions were submitted in regards to the speed limit changes on the road between Featherston and Masterton alone.  Zero changes were made to the initial plan....

• Sad 2

Everyone knows the road to 0 means the road to 0km/h. Because if no one is driving there won't be any car accidents. 

• Like 2

The road to nothing is an absurdity !! Its real purpose is to justify spending millions on high tech cameras and other electronic surveillance devices designed to bludgeon the motoring public into complying with ever lower speed limits. Not sure how all this enforcement and revenue generating equipment is going to stop people driving off the road and hitting a tree or pole ? 

Cheers... jondee

• Like 1

it's another fanciful dream conjured by incompetents; what are they distracting us from?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jon dee said:

The road to nothing is an absurdity !! Its real purpose is to justify spending millions on high tech cameras and other electronic surveillance devices designed to bludgeon the motoring public into complying with ever lower speed limits. Not sure how all this enforcement and revenue generating equipment is going to stop people driving off the road and hitting a tree or pole ? 

Cheers... jondee

Speed cameras have proven very profitable for minimal setup costs, you can keep lowering the tolerance for more revenue safety when the road toll doesn't meet your expectations. Gotta start paying back all that new national debt somehow.

Amazing what a govt can achieve under the guise of 'safety'.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Amazing what a govt can achieve under the guise of 'safety'.

Safety is the trump card that gets pulled out of the hat any time they want to push through an unreasonable measure. Pure cynical politicing... they know that there is no counter argument to the Safety card. Pretty basic tactic used by government and quasi-governmental bodies when they want to introduce a draconian measure without having to provide any logical justification. 

Cheers... jondee

• Like 3

There are four new safety cameras being installed out my way, can't wait for the additional safety that will bring to my daily life. 

On 1/10/2023 at 6:55 PM, M3AN said:

Claim needs to be refiled in the District Court, Tribunal doesn't have relevant jurisdiction, that's obvious in this case and not their fault.

Seller is still obviously liable.

If you read the article it states that a court had found against the seller personally previously, but he had been “unable” to pay the money, hence the attempt to get the money from the company instead.

Ridiculous loophole. 

18 hours ago, Olaf said:

it's another fanciful dream conjured by incompetents; what are they distracting us from?

Perhaps they're distracting us from the dream of being able to drive the distance of Auckland-Wellington in half the time it takes now. 

*sigh*

Cheers from a wistful foreigner. 

Found this on Moneyhub while looking up insurance comparisons.

"low risk nature"? 

I don't recall becoming a bad driver or driving like a moron after switching to a European car 🙄

• "Our guide to the cheapest cars to insure lists models which predominantly are compact in size, have small engines and are Japanese-made. The value of these cars (and the low risk nature of their drivers) makes them more attractive to insurers and therefore cheaper to insure."

1 hour ago, Choo said:

Found this on Moneyhub while looking up insurance comparisons.

"low risk nature"? 

I don't recall becoming a bad driver or driving like a moron after switching to a European car 🙄

• "Our guide to the cheapest cars to insure lists models which predominantly are compact in size, have small engines and are Japanese-made. The value of these cars (and the low risk nature of their drivers) makes them more attractive to insurers and therefore cheaper to insure."

their cheapest car to insure, the Toyota Aqua, is also one of the most stolen, and easiest stolen cars in NZ. They also have an old Caldina GT Turbo on there.

5 hours ago, KwS said:

their cheapest car to insure, the Toyota Aqua, is also one of the most stolen, and easiest stolen cars in NZ. They also have an old Caldina GT Turbo on there.

Aren't all of the top 5 most stolen cars at the moment small and Japanese ?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KwS said:

Notice how they just grab onto what the topical issue currently is to try and grab voters?

Isn't that what all the parties do ?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, aja540i said:

Aren't all of the top 5 most stolen cars at the moment small and Japanese ?

Iirc in the top 5 is the Honda Accord/torneo and Toyota mark x

When you arrive to drop off some wheels tyres and the fella says "oh, I thought I was buying a whole car" 🤦‍♂️

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, akapjay said:

When you arrive to drop off some wheels tyres and the fella says "oh, I thought I was buying a whole car" 🤦‍♂️

Saw a set of throwing stars with a $7k asking price earlier.
Yup - I'd want a car with them, too! A good one.

12 minutes ago, gjm said:

Saw a set of throwing stars with a $7k asking price earlier.

Sold my E34 set for $1800 in 2018 which took awhile. Would be interesting to know what they are actually worth these days. Had lots of interest in them from the US, but even shipping quotes back then were way too high.

27 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Sold my E34 set for $1800 in 2018 which took awhile. Would be interesting to know what they are actually worth these days. Had lots of interest in them from the US, but even shipping quotes back then were way too high.

About half the asking I'd say. The way I price things is if something on ebay is at £3000 then it's $nzd3000

I sold my staggered set about the same time as you for $2000

• Like 1

Seen this set the couple days ago too. Would love me a set, but not at those prices

945E5FB8-BD53-461F-8387-FFD56BC57072.jpeg

I bought my square set for $1.5K but they are in original condition so will need refurbishment at some point. Also needed two tyres so were around $2K all up which wasn't too bad I thought. 

Problem I see with throwing stars: 

1) Most E34 owners don't have $7K to spend on wheels. If they can afford the wheels, they probably own an M5 which have them on there already. 

2) Because throwing stars are a rare wheel they inherently have some solid BUT its a small market as they only really suit E34s/E31s.

HOWEVER, if you do want a set, they are so rare that they are rarely available in NZ which mean you do indeed have to pay up for them and get them from the US. 

Will be interested to see what these ones go for. 

• Like 1

3) m5 owners wont want them as they aren't staggered.

Quick search on eBay and Facebook and there's a few sets staggered sets for £1500-£2000. Square set for £1000. These ones won't sell unless he is very flexible on price and reading the ad, he not.

Edited by Gaz

That post got deleted on FB for the $7k ones.  Not sure why.
I have a mint staggered set without the stars on my race car.
Feel free to pay me $5K for them.  I am not attached to them at all and would like some more race car parts.

• Like 1