Apex

Quick rant thread.

14 minutes ago, Jacko said:

Typo 245s, It took a bit of discussion that to meet their dreamt up requirements would require a 125 width tyre... This is the issue it nearly failed on, and would have required mud gaurds to be installed to pass. Who trains these people?

No one! They failed my e39 after I swapped in HIDs because the guy was convinced that all the wiring and switch had to be replaced to cope with the high voltage!! SMH.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, elias said:

in an ideal world, you wouldnt pass if you had illegal modifications, if you dont, then you dont need a cert

In my case I swapped a 2.5L engine for a 3.0L one that are visually near on indistinguishable, and swapped an auto gearbox for a manual one using all factory parts, which I advised them on as well. Both modifications that by the book require certification. Passed WoF without faults and the mechanics even praised the tidiness of the work... The whole WoF process seems to be a roll of the dice kinda thing.

We tried to get our 200sx certified.  The guy didn't like the way the ABS felt.
Factory stock standard late 80's Nissan ABS.  He would not issue the cert until we sorted it out.
It functioned 100% the way it should have.  But he didn't like the way it felt...
Still not certified 7 years later.  Just can't be assed dealing with all that BS again.

First Subaru I imported failed compliance because it had accident damage according to the inspector, he was convinced that the seam sealer in the boot was evidence that it had been in a major shunt. When I grabbed the manager and looked at it I was fuming, it was 100% factory applied, a couple of months later a car for my wife arrived for compliance and the over zealous inspector had been "moved" onto a WOF centre. The system is a joke this country. Good friend of mine built a highly modified MX5, custom everything, full metal wide body and retrofitted Subaru ABS to it - Certifier obviously wanted the ABS to be independently assessed as it was from another manufacturer, only person at the time in NZ that could do this was the owner of the car. It is part of day to day job to fix high end electronic issues, so when the OEM service agent can't diagnose things it goes to him. Obviously there is a small issue around a conflict of interest, you can't assess your own car. Certification never achieved what was it was meant to, make modified cars safe and get the boy racers off the street as they could never afford to meet the requirements or just keep adding stupid items that are illogical.

The fact there is enough of a market for someone to make this, let alone how insanely heinous it is, makes me worry about the future of the human race.

357030428_277467464826090_6713132610225768393_n.jpg

357020648_277467434826093_3966043172473979106_n.jpg

357561941_277467398159430_2702687901634472559_n.jpg

357138702_277467361492767_4289750256222641048_n.jpg

357020211_277467328159437_8681279637220897165_n.jpg

• Haha 5
  • Confused 1

I want to buy one just so i can destroy it....

• Like 1

I would suggest you have got a snowball in hell’s chance of people moving over to let you pass If they are holding you up.

These are most likely the same people that can’t keep left on a two lane road, let alone maintain a speed near the limit.

And as for multi lane motorways, absolutely no chance, sit in the middle lane at about 20km/h below the limit to be “safe”.

The driving standards in NZ are getting worse by the day, no point worrying about speed limits when the majority of drivers don’t have the basic skills necessary for daily driving.

• Like 3

Maybe it's the roads, maybe it's the people, maybe it's both.  But I generally have very little issue with the traffic in Hamilton.

Good point, I think it is more an issue for the major centres, Akl, Welly and CHCH. 
And on the open roads / regions when those centres export their drivers during long week-ends and holidays.

There's not a day there has not been an accident of some sort on the strip of SH1 I travel, this past month. 

5 hours ago, GorGasm said:

Maybe it's the roads, maybe it's the people, maybe it's both.  But I generally have very little issue with the traffic in Hamilton.

They built a great highway to get past it :P

• Haha 1

And that suits me just fine!

Two more windscreens down.

1 on the AMG and 1 on the E87.

Would love to see the insurance stats for windscreens claimed in NZ.

• Sad 1

the 'big' service at main dealer (4 yearly) on my F31 - fuel / oil / air / cabin filters went from $780 in 2019 to $1080! (although maybe we have had 25% CPI inflation since then

1 hour ago, balancerider said:

the 'big' service at main dealer (4 yearly) on my F31 - fuel / oil / air / cabin filters went from $780 in 2019 to $1080! (although maybe we have had 25% CPI inflation since then

Heck, I remember paying close to $1800 for a standard "Inspection II" on the M3 20 odd years ago, lord knows what something like that costs today.

And I bet it's simply crushing when something that's only 5.01 years old, and now out of warranty, on a car that should last 15+ years, needs replacing... especially if it's electronic.

Edited by M3AN
  • Sad 1

On 7/12/2023 at 3:59 PM, Driftit said:

Two more windscreens down.

1 on the AMG and 1 on the E87.

Would love to see the insurance stats for windscreens claimed in NZ.

Many NZ insurance policies no longer include windscreen cover. Or if they do, it's with a big excess.

1 hour ago, gjm said:

Many NZ insurance policies no longer include windscreen cover. Or if they do, it's with a big excess.

Does not surprise me. I've been through 6 claims in 4 years.

Not really a rant, but just lost my license an hour ago. Radar detector did not go off at all which was super weird. No KA, no laser. Questioned the cop and he said it must have been me, although he sounded surprised when I said I had my radar up and it didn’t go off. 

Let’s not stop ram raiders, let’s take my license, which by the way I had no demerits or any fines prior to this. Let’s ignore the fact the offence allegedly took place on an empty and straight piece of motorway, in the dry, in a modern car literally designed for the autobahn, with a speed deployed spoiler, big brakes, and 265 tyres all round. 

I’m not condoning speeding, but the average person faces more punishment than a 15 year old who steals an Aqua, and then gets caught, offered fast food then dropped home. 

Safer communities! 

Edited by Kees

Unlucky!  It's a bit of a shame there's cars and drivers on the road not worthy of doing more than 50kph at any time and those capable of 150kph safely.

Edited by GorGasm
  • Like 1

How much over the speed limit do you need to be going to instantly lose your license, with no existing demerits? I thought it was like 50km/h?

Painful anyway I'm sure, how long for? 😬

48 minutes ago, M3AN said:

How much over the speed limit do you need to be going to instantly lose your license, with no existing demerits? I thought it was like 50km/h?

Painful anyway I'm sure, how long for? 😬

28 days for the alleged 147. 

More than 40 over is loss of license, more than 50 is loss of license + a court date. 

Just particularly annoying no discretion is involved - but then again the law is the law I suppose. 

1 hour ago, Kees said:

28 days for the alleged 147. 

Nothing personal but sorry, just like the 'ram raiders you reference, no sympathy here (regardless of the circumstances you've outlined).

But I do enjoy your posts and project updates so please keep posting 👍.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kees said:

Just particularly annoying no discretion is involved - but then again the law is the law I suppose. 

Rarely ever was in my experience, but with the zero road toll bs and reduced speed roads id say its pretty much gone.

12 hours ago, Kees said:

Radar detector did not go off at all which was super weird.

What detector? He may of used instant on feature which is hard to detect if no other cars around being pinged. I believe ive experienced it a number of times.