Sign in to follow this  
treone

Thoughts - Price of petrol in 2022

5 minutes ago, gjm said:

S/h car market is a ridiculous thing at present and despite the Covid import issues, doesn't really make any sense.

The vehicles you mention are right up there with other overpriced vehicles. I'd add a Hilux to the list! (Bl**dy horrible things to drive - what do people see in them?)

What is your V6 wagon?

Yes, I can see why some cars may demand a premium (like the new Rav4 and Highlander Hybrids - 10 month wait time) but across the board I cannot stomach, so I'll just sit it out and see what happens. 

Wagon is a W211 E320. Nice car and good value for $$$. These types of ageing and largely mediocre Euros are really the only vehicles that haven't increased in price hah.

15 hours ago, gjm said:

Hilux to the list! (Bl**dy horrible things to drive - what do people see in them?)

Every UTE IMO.  Most are incredibly impracticable too.  Builder with all his tools in the back seat because he doesn't have a hard top for the tray and his tools can/will be stolen..

Seems to be the average punters dream vehicle at the moment.  The Ford Ranger.  70K+ worth of yuck.

Edited by Driftit
  • Like 4

I found trial fitting the baby capsule to a dual cab Ranger was a no-go and the standard rear facing seat was a tight fit. Not a roomy or practical family wagon. Funny enough the passenger seat in our "average size" Lexus GS is in line with the driver seat with that exact same baby seat. Although neither offer quite as much room as my Austin 10

W212 wagons are currently my flavour of the month for next family car upgrade, in diesel and a light colour so it looks less like a Volvo V60 at the front. Was going to be an LS600h...but that's hard to justify 

For the most part, many utes do offer reasonably low cost of ownership (minimal depreciation) and most are fairly trouble free for most users for the first 300km or so, if you do decent milage. And quite a few of the current crop return pretty good economy. The majority of them are now a nicer place to sit than an e53. Not sure if that's impressive or not 

• Like 1

We have received an insane amount of enquiries on hybrid vehicles in the last week and sold all our 2nd hand stock within days. 

Plug-in hybrids are the way to go I think. 40km battery range which will get most to work and back and with petrol to help on long range

• Like 1

Few people at work muttering around the e-bikes and whatnot, one got a 6k pedly, might be a few L to pay off that!

Motorcycle tipped over the 40$ mark to fill this week, still gives two weeks of commute though, not the greatest in the rain though...

4 hours ago, Driftit said:

Every UTE IMO.  Most are incredibly impracticable too.  Builder with all his tools in the back seat because he doesn't have a hard top for the tray and his tools can/will be stolen..

Seems to be the average punters dream vehicle at the moment.  The Ford Ranger.  70K+ worth of yuck.

Brand new ranger at work, still felt like it was years behind my e70... Sales pitch must be like, 'is ute, is ford, sold'

2 hours ago, tawa said:

Few people at work muttering around the e-bikes and whatnot, one got a 6k pedly, might be a few L to pay off that!

Motorcycle tipped over the 40$ mark to fill this week, still gives two weeks of commute though, not the greatest in the rain though...

Brand new ranger at work, still felt like it was years behind my e70... Sales pitch must be like, 'is ute, is ford, sold'

Not to go massively off topic, but agree that ute's are not family wagons and the top end ones are useless at most things that the underlying platform was designed for - you can dress them up all you want and they are still a horrid ride and now priced at the pointy end of the market. Two years ago we spent a lot of time investigating a family wagon that we could also use on the lifestyle block, and most of all it had to have a drivers seat with proper lumber support - I had broken vertebra in my back and sitting was not something I endured well. Having driven almost everything available we drew the same conclusion as many (but clearly not all) that a double cab is not a family wagon, by the time you try to modify it to be a family wagon with aftermarket everything you may as well have bought a Prado or Landcruiser. Even after all that I nearly put the money down on a Toyota Hilux Mako when I was looking at the M5, I would still be waiting for delivery of the Toyota. 

Back on topic, fuel prices are painful - luckily the M5 has a pathetically small tank to fill :D 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, tawa said:

I think it's: "What else can you buy for $70k that will explode a gearbox this fast" 

• Like 2

I do have a bit of hate for the Ute down these ways.  Every 2nd vehicle is a Ute here.  They are the fastest, best handling and most capable vehicle in the world.

We call it Ranger Danger.  Because you just know the one sitting 2m off your bumper in a school zone is going to pass you in a dangerous spot using all of their 1500hp and F1esk handling.
It's funny because it is the behaviour that BMW drivers usually get blamed for.

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

I've also been kind of tempted by an EBike or scooter, but just so hard to justify the cost, $3k+ for a decent bike, $1500+ for a decent scooter.

4 hours ago, Driftit said:

I do have a bit of hate for the Ute down these ways.  Every 2nd vehicle is a Ute here.  They are the fastest, best handling and most capable vehicle in the world.

We call it Ranger Danger.  Because you just know the one sitting 2m off your bumper in a school zone is going to pass you in a dangerous spot using all of their 1500hp and F1esk handling.

Not specifically utes but tailgaters in general - Turn a tight corner at the or near the speed limit without braking and continue. They will always drop their balls, disappear well back and get mad they their pos couldn't do that same. Then its usually speeding just to get back to tailgating you.

Always gets a laugh out of me. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Driftit said:

Utes are so ubiquitous now it appears all the cocks have left their Audis for something higher riding ("command position") and more tax friendly.

• Like 2

On 3/18/2022 at 3:51 PM, Eagle said:

Not specifically utes but tailgaters in general - Turn a tight corner at the or near the speed limit without braking and continue. They will always drop their balls, disappear well back and get mad they their pos couldn't do that same. Then its usually speeding just to get back to tailgating you.

Always gets a laugh out of me. 

Hahaha... did that in the E39 years ago, with a Ranger behind me... At a roundabout, I changed down to second in preparation for the exit, but didn't slow down, took the roundabout at 55km/h and booted it as I exited (only a 525i though!)... Ranger tried to follow... he mounted the footpath behind me as I blitzed off into the 80 zone 🤣 He kept some distance after😋

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

In Wellington diesel is nearly the same price as petrol now - ~2.60 vs ~2.75 then RUC's on top. I assume this is refining related rather than oil co's applying differential markup

I guess it's working to control demand - last tank was my best economy since started recording (50L for 748k of mixed driving)

• Like 1

Yup.  Challenge in Greytown yesterday.

46.31litres
$113.41
$2.449/l

Wairarapa is usually cheaper than Wellington.  Greytown and Martinborough are priced to catch Wellingtonians and the cashed up boo..retirees.

On another note.  Has anyone been told off for stockpiling RUC at the discounted price yet?

• Like 1

Price of diesel closing on price of petrol is ludicrous. :(

• Like 1

12 hours ago, gjm said:

Price of diesel closing on price of petrol is ludicrous. :(

its higher than petrol in Brisbane,considerably but I don't think they have RUC

Yeah filled the 130 today.  Diesel was more expensive than petrol at Caltex over the road from the Waitomo I was at where it was 25c/l cheaper.

On 4/29/2022 at 4:15 PM, Driftit said:

Yup.  Challenge in Greytown yesterday.

46.31litres
$113.41
$2.449/l

Wairarapa is usually cheaper than Wellington.  Greytown and Martinborough are priced to catch Wellingtonians and the cashed up boo..retirees.

On another note.  Has anyone been told off for stockpiling RUC at the discounted price yet?

I believe the penalty is simply paying the difference between reduced and 'full priced' RUCs, IF they can / can be arsed tracking it, so no real reason not to stock a up a few.

I'll buy 10,000km shortly see how it goes.

17 hours ago, Sammo said:

I believe the penalty is simply paying the difference between reduced and 'full priced' RUCs, IF they can / can be arsed tracking it, so no real reason not to stock a up a few.

I'll buy 10,000km shortly see how it goes.

10000 can hardly be an unusual number of RUCs to buy. It's the commercial bods who are looking to acquire 12 months' of RUCs when they'd normally do t (perhaps) 3 months a a time that they're looking to catch.

• Like 1

I bought 15,000 last time.   I'll be buying that again.   Let them tell me I don't have a govt approved ute, or need to buy RUCs like a peasant on the bones of my arse 1000kms at a time.  They're trying to put up the admin cost of the transaction to boot.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gjm said:

10000 can hardly be an unusual number of RUCs to buy. It's the commercial bods who are looking to acquire 12 months' of RUCs when they'd normally do t (perhaps) 3 months a a time that they're looking to catch

A fair assumption and quite likely for operators that have small commercial vehicles and can take the upfront hit on their cash flow, but the folks with large trucks are pretty keen on buying in small increments more frequently electronically (eRUC) to avoid having hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of pre-payed RUC sitting on their windscreens. For the big trucks its a massive expense, for a transport business its right there along with diesel and wages.

36 minutes ago, Cement said:

A fair assumption and quite likely for operators that have small commercial vehicles and can take the upfront hit on their cash flow, but the folks with large trucks are pretty keen on buying in small increments more frequently electronically (eRUC) to avoid having hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of pre-payed RUC sitting on their windscreens. For the big trucks its a massive expense, for a transport business its right there along with diesel and wages.

Yup.

I'm working with eRoad, Navman, Blackhawk and others. Folks using those systems will be happy - their monthly bill will (temporarily) drop. They don't buy in advance as the systems automatically order RUCs for them.

• Like 1