Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

Dropped the 130 off to Glenn at Botany Motor Works, service and box/diff fluids, they nailed it. The only finding being I need an LSD to solve the asymetric rear tyre wear (thats what im telling the wife anyway ;) )

Shifts nicer already, guessing the BMW "lifetime" manual box fluid has well and truely broken down at 150k!

Drew up a plate to get laser cut out of stainless to cover the side of the modified rear mufflers I'll be using soon, I needed to slim them down a bit so this seemed like an effective way to do it.

RHS_Muffler_side_plate_template.jpg

10712609_10205741212154715_3508796568262

Dropped the 130 off to Glenn at Botany Motor Works, service and box/diff fluids, they nailed it. The only finding being I need an LSD to solve the asymetric rear tyre wear (thats what im telling the wife anyway ;) )

Shifts nicer already, guessing the BMW "lifetime" manual box fluid has well and truely broken down at 150k!

Thanks Chris I'm pleased you noticed the difference

Always been my advice.... lifetime is bullshit... Even BMW had gearbox & diff service intervals before the advent of "lifetime oil bullshit" Oil breaks down and gets contaminated . Lifetime might only mean something to manufacturers that are engineering their vehicles to have a recycling lifetime of 3-5 years which is now happening in the industry.

Edited by *Glenn*
  • Like 2

CSL gearbox ecu upgrade - seriously worthwhile

post-5771-0-64909600-1444084705_thumb.jp

Edited by DarrenG
  • Like 4

Does this mean its full manual only now, or can you still switch back to 'auto' mode?

It's the same as before but from what I can tell in my short drive it's just better in everyway.

Faster gear changes

Nice little blip on downshifts

Smoother low rpm changes

• Like 3

It's the same as before but from what I can tell in my short drive it's just better in everyway.

Faster gear changes

Nice little blip on downshifts

Smoother low rpm changes

jeez u didnt wait long did u before getting right into it haha

• Like 1

Did the cambelt on Dads E30... 30K since the last one... nearly 5 years ago....

Thanks Chris I'm pleased you noticed the difference

Always been my advice.... lifetime is bullshit... Even BMW had gearbox & diff service intervals before the advent of "lifetime oil bullshit" Oil breaks down and gets contaminated . Lifetime might only mean something to manufacturers that are engineering their vehicles to have a recycling lifetime of 3-5 years which is now happening in the industry.

Whatya think about the condition based maintenance thing? ~15k between oil changes seems crazy.

Whatya think about the condition based maintenance thing? ~15k between oil changes seems crazy.

15k or 12 months is fine..... 40,000k or 24 months is bullshit though

• Like 2

Picked the 540i wagon up from the painter, nice shiny new coat of paint on the bonnet! Something else for the new owner to enjoy :( now to spend the weekend cleaning it and putting it on trademe....

• Like 1

Change the oil filter and engine oil in the ti. But couldn't reset the oil service setting it would show test etc then just kept going back to the speedo time setting it had. It still had 10,000k odd to go would that have anything to do with it?. Have altered it before using the trip meter key method but with only a couple of hundred to go.

Change the oil filter and engine oil in the ti. But couldn't reset the oil service setting it would show test etc then just kept going back to the speedo time setting it had. It still had 10,000k odd to go would that have anything to do with it?. Have altered it before using the trip meter key method but with only a couple of hundred to go.

If it's like the late E39's, it has to have consumed a minimum amount of fuel. It's not all that much though, I don't think.

Have you got BMW Scanner 1.4? You can change it manually to whatever amount of liitres left to go, and also change the litres of fuel between oil changes :-) so it doesn't wait so long

drove my e28 for the 1st time in a while , with its new shoes :)

feels nice to drive again , I could use all the power without it wheel spinning.

clock just ticked over 528528km while out

fun car to drive , weighs about the same as a 3.2L E36 M3 and less than E46 M3

but with about the same amount of power or more ,

but makes it it at about 1500-2000rpm lower in the RPM range

than the 3.2L engines make there's :) and still revs out to 7000rpm

• Like 5

Degreaser and clean through the engine bay on the E38, should make finding the leaks easier, although might not like what I find

• Like 2

Degreaser and clean through the engine bay on the E38, should make finding the leaks easier, although might not like what I find

There's still about 3 litres of your oil outside Kyu's cafe :P

• Like 5

There's still about 3 litres of your oil outside Kyu's cafe :P

I wanted to leave an impression just didn't turn out as expected, HAHA

• Like 2

Aquired my 3rd E36 coupe last night. Getting a bit ridiculous seeing as I'm supposed to be getting rid of cars but too good of a deal to pass up. Has a few good bits

Jacked the 740 up and removed all the catch trays, still pretty messy under there so had a bit more of wipe up but may have spotted a leak on the left side rocker cover. Ran the beast and still not ideal to identify, will keep looking, tranny looks good though. Left the covers off and it's still jacked

Nice surprise of a 2011 radiator build date do that's clearly been replaced, looks like the zf underpan has been off as well so again, good news should mean it's had at least one service

Took a clay bar to the E30. The paint has come up okay for a 30 year old car. Still could be a lot better though!

Tested my new favourite paint - SEM trim black - on the wing mirrors. Made a huge difference! Pity I dropped one and cracked the mirror glass. Doh!! So if anyone has a spare PFL passenger side mirror glass (as pictured) let me know!!

227f710757bb9df268ae1c44934661b5.jpge410dca6f313a5f77c39601154c2a6e2.jpg42fb98dc613a8520b93a1b6d81740b07.jpg0f8857c1126390aa35ae7363da050108.jpg

Trying not to make this one a 'project'!

Edited by jeffbebe
  • Like 2

Cleaned, polished, waxed and thrashed the tits off it with Amber, Tristan and Jayden in their M3's - Extremely fun day.

Edited by Rubix
  • Like 1

ha ha. Keep trying Jooles.

• Like 1

Its an e30, you dont have a choice .. it makes it its business to turn it into one.

• Like 5