Apex

Quick rant thread.

5 hours ago, Driftit said:

I did not know you can plug in an adapter like this though.  I have LG TV's from the US.  But I am looking at going back to Sony TV's.  I think I have one of those adapters in a box somewhere.

Almost any TV that has USB 3.x can benefit from this, the exception being the few that support Gb/s speeds out of the box. Nothing wrong with LG (their parent company makes all the panels after all), but Sony's XR generation hardware and software are objectively better than the alternatives at this time. The adaptor just needs to suit what you're plugging it in to, must be USB 3, either USB-A or USB-C connector, that doesn't matter.

@Sammo - If you don't like the standard Google TV home/apps/suggestions/ads screen and need to know how to change it, let me know.

Edited by M3AN

9 hours ago, M3AN said:

Almost any TV that has USB 3.x can benefit from this, the exception being the few that support Gb/s speeds out of the box. Nothing wrong with LG (their parent company makes all the panels after all), but Sony's XR generation hardware and software are objectively better than the alternatives at this time. The adaptor just needs to suit what you're plugging it in to, must be USB 3, either USB-A or USB-C connector, that doesn't matter.

@Sammo - If you don't like the standard Google TV home/apps/suggestions/ads screen and need to know how to change it, let me know.

Sorry to be blasphemous but I run everything via my Apple TV 4K 😬 have since day one.

Must try the native apps sometime as I understand the quality, especially upscaling, is great (Apple TV is very good too of course).

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sammo said:

Sorry to be blasphemous but I run everything via my Apple TV 4K 😬 have since day one.

Must try the native apps sometime as I understand the quality, especially upscaling, is great (Apple TV is very good too of course).

Apple! 😮 ;)

appleworm.gif.7389d450a3a6767aa9444d77811e8483.gif

• Haha 2

My LG TV's have been great.  But WebOS is terrible.  And as previously discussed with other products, I paid a far less for a much higher spec model of TV in the US.
Freeview doesn't work though.  Not that I care as I am not interested in ads or the News.
I have "Jail Broken" the TV's to allow me to install all available apps from around the world.  But they are still actively trying to cut this off so every month or so I have to go through the whole process again.  One of them is destined for the Shed very soon.

I want Sony for Android.

Edited by Driftit

7 year old just had a brain fart and walked a soft art pencil along a recently painted wall. Then tried to rub it off with her finger...... Open to ideas on how to remove graphite from a low sheen wall paint without damaging the finish.

probably depends on the colour but a little jiff on a damp cloth gently rubbed, the good thing about the low sheen is you can just run a roller of fresh paint over the mark once its off and it will blend right in and you won't see the touchup at all, I always keep some spare paint for knocks and repairs

Edited by kwhelan
  • Thanks 1

Magic eraser

• Like 1

On 8/24/2022 at 7:26 AM, Sammo said:

God I hate my Apple TV. The hardware and OS is generally good, but its limited by the apps which are kinda half cooked.

Cant wait to replace my tv and bin the apple shite.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, KwS said:

God I hate my Apple TV. The hardware and OS is generally good, but its limited by the apps which are kinda half cooked.

Cant wait to replace my tv and bin the apple shite.

Seems good to me? I only use Apple TV / Netflix / Neon (yuck) and YouTube really.

I should try the built in Android apps sometime.

Apple. 🤢🤮

I know the adage about not judging a book by it's cover and not letting first impressions affect future decisions, but having had to integrate Apple with Unix, Linux and several version of MS Windows, it was only the Apple that really caused continued, repeated issues. For weeks, and weeks, and weeks...

Didn't touch the poxy P.O.S. for years until I thought "must be better now" but no... Still an almighty PITA to sort any issues, always requires a bespoke something or other, additional and different (more expensive) licensing to everything else, and has quirks and 'features' that no-one uses but get in the way of administration. And then you meet a rabidly fanatical Apple zealot who insists it's all good, that I can't possibly be having so many issues, that I just don't understand and who, after 2 hours, still cannot sort whatever the issue is so just walks off muttering about how crap Android is.

Working in the car industry, 99% of Bluetooth/phone pairing issues are with Apple phones. Most of the time it's because Apple go and update everyone's phones without allowing car manufacturers a peak at the update to ensure it'll work. Next thing it's out the customer domain and we are getting the heat from customers for it

I have Apple TV 4k on both TVs, and Amazon Fire TV 4k on both TVs.  In both cases, the boxes outperform the built-in TV apps for picture and sound (TV is the latest sh*t-hot LG G2 65" from which I should rightly expect stellar performance, or a 3 yr old Sony that is a UI nightmare with decent picture, don't ask me about apps on it).  The Amazon box is marginally better (than the ATV) on some content, it's got more grunt in the hardware.  I have no issues with the Apple TV.  It plays stuff easily from my NAS, as well as the apps that I use like numerous News apps, AppleTV+, Disney, Netflix.    Seems the only people having issues with Apple are folks that expect to be needed under the hood to make things work.  As soon as one accepts there's rarely any need to roll one's sleeves up with Apple, life is a great deal easier.  It just works.

Edited by Olaf
clarification of Amazon Fire vs ATV hardware
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I avoid the Apple ecosystem like the plague, being told how to use my tech, and being tracked whilst using it, is the worst consumption model I can think of.

1 hour ago, gjm said:

Apple. 🤢🤮

I know the adage about not judging a book by it's cover and not letting first impressions affect future decisions, but having had to integrate Apple with Unix, Linux and several version of MS Windows, it was only the Apple that really caused continued, repeated issues. For weeks, and weeks, and weeks...

The irony with the the Unix thing is that both macOS and iOS are Unix. The proprietary nature of Apple tech, and their arrogance, breaks more things than necessary.

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

Working in the car industry, 99% of Bluetooth/phone pairing issues are with Apple phones. Most of the time it's because Apple go and update everyone's phones without allowing car manufacturers a peak at the update to ensure it'll work. Next thing it's out the customer domain and we are getting the heat from customers for it

They need to join the Apple Developer Programme... sure you don't get a lot of time but a couple of months preview should be enough. https://developer.apple.com/programs/

A large part of the problem automakers face is that they've built their digital platform also on proprietary tech... they've done if for competitive advantage but it's both dumb and unsustainable. They didn't learn the hard lesson mobile phone manufacturers like Nokia and Motorola have already demonstrated. Silly boys and girls.

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1

I roll apple as my daily laptop because it's just easier to use, hardware lasts longer and I don't need to mess with anything, but my phone is Samsung and I hate all the other apple devices in the ecosystem (appletv, time capsule etc) as they're all compromised and just don't quite hit the mark. Wish I never bought into the ecosystem now. 

Windows is a shitshow; I have to use it at work every day and it makes my MacBook look like it's from the future in terms of just not shitting itself all the time for no reason. 

I'm an ex certified apple tech. LoL. 

I look after a considerable number of both systems at work ,used to love apple but since they dumbed it down to basically ios on a desktop and locked everything including the system drive  not so much, Trying to get apple to work well in a windows network is nigh on impossible now. And yes I'm fully qualified in both and go back to windows 3.1 and mac 8.

Apple tv is no match for a simple chinese no name windows tv box, especially if your into free stuff like popcorntime, torrents, kodi,  skysports etc. A lot of things are still better on a web interface chrome/firefox/brave than the app version including trademe, dropbox, onedrive for example. Spotify is totally different on a browser to the app and I run that all weekend while doing the weekend stuff,sound is hooked up to the onkyo reciever. plenty of power and choices to run a huge photo music video library as well as gaming. add a webcam and its your portal to the grandkids overseas, you can even use it to record tv with a tivo like app if you want for later viewing

currently using an intel nuc with a wireless keyboard touchpad combo a bit dearer than an appletv but well worth it and its just simple  things like multiple web  browsers with all their adblockers and extensions. Youtube with no ads, facebook, no ads, zoom , messenger video chat, windows 10 is so much better now with screen sharing, phone connections etc but it does need you to kinda know what your doing to get the best out of it.

on the odd occasion I will click on a youtube link from my iphone and am reminded how I hate ads so much,

Edited by kwhelan
  • Like 2

If a major state highway has its speed limit reduced from 100kph to 70kph for around 50kms.  Is that stretch of road still really a state highway or is it now just a local road?

Going by NZTA:
State highways are those roads in New Zealand that form a nationally strategic purpose in moving people and goods nationwide.
Local roads are those roads that form a regionally strategic purpose in moving people and goods within regions. These roads are managed by local government.

I would argue that 70kph speed limits mean that strategically moving people and goods nationwide is no longer the priority as efficiency for moving those has been significantly reduced.

The reduction in speed is due to road surface neglect and poor road layout planning.  Also refusal to bypass Carterton and Greytown.

• Like 2

On 8/31/2022 at 3:02 PM, KwS said:

I roll apple as my daily laptop because it's just easier to use, hardware lasts longer

I've had my MacBook Air since early 2014 and it still seems to chug along well, admittedly it was a higher end one with an i7 and 256SSD which is what has helped it last I suspect. Usually is only used for Zoom calls, Word & PowerPoints, a little bit of photoshop and then just general media consumption like YouTube. Has all the ports I want (USB, SD Card Slot, & Headphone Jack) and also mag safe which has saved it a few times so have been putting off upgrading especially since the new ones in an effort to be thinner lack a bunch of ports.

Also boots up faster than my friend's ~4 year old Surface Pro(something). Been very impressed with it. 

we have hp pro series  i5 laptops at work which we buy as they come up ex lease, put an ssd in them and they are still going strong 10 years old. if anything most lower end laptops have got slower because the holy grail is thin light and long battery so the old processors can still almost compete just. And the fact that most people use them for word zoom or internet so they are overkill anyway but I bet your not running the latest versions of photoshop, editing 4k video from a go-pro, try copying a big file through your usb compared to a usb-c port. Just saying its all relative and if that does you then all good.

comparing your laptop to a surface pro, is like what model ? the basic one that had an i3 and 4 gigs of ram, again its all relative and pointless argument there, his has touchscreen, probably faceid which is the bomb and probably a high res screen.

the new m1 m2 macbook airs are freaking amazing though, more power than the old  intel pro macbook and battery life for days, they need to add faceid like the phones ,the price not so much

Had a MacBook air for years and it was fantastic as a couch surfing machine, but apple definitely realised people were holding onto them as they were great and did the typical software update kill off routine in the name of security and battery life. End result no more crapple in the household other than the wife's company iphone and that is a connection pos. The lack of user serviceability of apple laptops is a deal killer for me.

• Like 1

Bought my Macbook Pro back in 2016 I think. Right after they announced the new version ones with the light strip, no magsafe and no ports, I walked in and bought the older version with all the ports, a maxed out 13" with i7 16GB ram and 512GB SSD. Was a great wee machine for a year or two whilst I was travelling for processing photos and videos. Then after a couple of OS updates it all went to sh*t. Using the same software I'd used all along, when editing photos, it would take 5-10 seconds to reload a single picture every time you did any tweaking. Rendering a 3-minute video went from 1.5-2 hours to 6+ to the point I had to leave it running overnight. Battery life went out the window too until a couple of years ago it stopped holding charge altogether. Not gradually either, one time overnight just stayed at 0% and shut down the moment you disconnected the charge cable. Fair enough, had a brand new battery put in. Nowadays just use it occasionally for light browsing or watching DIY's in the garage and have a full tower PC for more serious work. Even with a brand new battery, it now holds just 3-4 hours of charge with just a browser running. Love the design of it but would never buy a new one, especially with all the idiocy of having no ports and endless dongles and adapters. Feel like Windows has caught up of late too with 10 & 11 where it's actually aesthetically minimalistic and pleasant to use once you turn all the crapware off whilst having all the functionality you need. 

Considering just installing Windows on it now to see if it would liven it up at all. 

People in -

• Late model mustangs (particularly ecoboosts, but applies to all)
  • Teslas with inane number plates
  • Pile of sh*t AU/BA etc falcons
  • GTIs with pops and bangs tunes
  • Ford rangers with all the middle age white man bedazzlements you can stick on
  • Anyone driving a modern "MG"
  • Farting Armchairs

You are not cool. Nobody thinks you are cool.

That is all.

Edited by Jacko
  • Like 6
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, Jacko said:

People in -

You are not cool. Nobody thinks you are cool, in fact most people think you are an utter bell end.

Just expanded on that for you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jacko said:

People in -

• Late model mustangs (particularly ecoboosts, but applies to all)
  • Teslas with inane number plates
  • Pile of sh*t AU/BA etc falcons
  • Ford rangers with all the middle age white man bedazzlements you can stick on
  • Anyone driving a modern "MG"

You are not cool. Nobody thinks you are cool.

That is all.

Am I posting from your account while asleep? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not a VW\Audi exclusive these days. Heard\seen a many 3 series running those 'tuned ecus"