Apex

Quick rant thread.

42 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Rarely ever was in my experience, but with the zero road toll bs and reduced speed roads id say its pretty much gone.

What detector? He may of used instant on feature which is hard to detect if no other cars around being pinged. I believe ive experienced it a number of times.  

Mine is a Uniden DFR7 and I was literally just about to upgrade to the new R4 too. Cop said because he was above and behind he would have hit my roof which meant the detector wouldn’t go off apparently.

Yeah i guess that would do it. They are starting to sit on Waikato expressway on ramps now too. 

5 hours ago, Kees said:

28 days for the alleged 147. 

Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death loss of licence !!!!!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Eagle said:

Yeah i guess that would do it. They are starting to sit on Waikato expressway on ramps now too. 

Yeah the last couple years I feel they’ve really stepped up their game. Used to be so easy to detect them with a radar detector, now clearly not. 

9 hours ago, Kees said:

Just particularly annoying no discretion is involved - but then again the law is the law I suppose. 

This does seem the case. Unsure if it is a NZ thing, but discretion has applied in every country I've lived in.
The closest I came to that being applied was when being stopped for 120+ on a motorbike (same story - two lanes, no other traffic anywhere, perfect conditions, 2km visibility, etc) and the policeman acknowledged the speed, but gave me a ticket for 109.

Not defending speeding but getting stopped for driving too fast does sometimes seem to be purely a spiteful activity with no victim, or even possibility of a victim being involved.
It's made worse by the traffic cop asking "Do you know how fast you were going?" and "Is there a reason why you are travelling so fast, sir?" Like there is a reason which would avoid being penalised! (Or is there...?)

• Like 1

On 7/14/2023 at 12:44 PM, Kees said:

Just particularly annoying no discretion is involved - but then again the law is the law I suppose. 

I'm sorry but you want discretion when you were doing nearly 50km over the limit? If it was 4km over the I understand your gripe but suck it up and take your medicine. Everyone knows the risks of doing that sort of speed. Yes the vehicle and possibly you are comfortable with the speed but our infrastructure and other road users are not. My mate was hit while doing a U turn by a driver doing 120 in a 50. He saw the car in the distance but didn't expect it to be going so fast. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is why I wish there was more Waze users in NZ. Radar detectors are mostly useless if your the only car on the road. 

In the US that cop would have been marked on the map and Waze would have warned you. Saved my ass a number of times on the i95. And saved me from hitting a Highway couch a few times too. I think I am 1 of about 5 users in the Wairarapa. 😢

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Driftit said:

This is why I wish there was more Waze users in NZ. Radar detectors are mostly useless if your the only car on the road. 

In the US that cop would have been marked on the map and Waze would have warned you. Saved my ass a number of times on the i95. And saved me from hitting a Highway couch a few times too. I think I am 1 of about 5 users in the Wairarapa. 😢

I suspect it's down to the absolute robbery the telecom companies are getting away with in NZ. I'm always having to be super frugal with data over there. I'm currently in Europe for the summer and am using Waze all the time. Here you can get an unlimited data plan for $10-15/month, in NZ I'm paying $30 for like 1.5GB so having to skimp out wherever I can... It's 2023 ffs, the cheapest unlimited data plan is what, $70? f**k that jazz

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Waze is great. There seems to be a bit more uptake on it.

Agreed.  More on Waze the better.  Get the message out there!

BTW it actually has active map moderators for NZ.  You can make edits via the web browser log in.
And you can mark things via voice.  e.g. Hey Google report Police, or report pothole etc etc.

Edited by Driftit

Or, you know, just keep an eye on your speed and dont worry about speed cameras or cops?

I've had two speeding tickets in my lifetime, and both were 100% my fault and both were due to me being stupid. Dont use a radar, dont use waze and dont even have cruise control.

Better living everyone.

• Haha 1

Finally got around to installing my new windshield cowl for the M3. Fitted it and realised one of the side shrouds was on top of the edge of the cowl when it's supposed to be underneath so I removed the cowl to fix the side pieces. 4 of the 6 clips broke... on a brand new part. $170 down the drain I guess. 

Ironically, the 20 year old cowl that I removed came off with all 6 clips perfectly in tact. Feels like a couple times recently I've got a genuine BMW part that was just sh*t. 

• Sad 1

Auckland drivers. SMH.

Waikato expressway, only the occasional selfish prick sits in the right hand lane, most use it for passing only.

North of Bombay, pick a lane that you like, at a speed you like, and just sit there, nobody else matters and mirrors obviously don't work. And heavy vehicles static in the middle lane, even when the left is empty, FFS you're a professional driver, you should know better, you're just being a lazy prick.

Seriously, if idiots carried on like this in most of Europe they'd lose their license for 3 months. Selfish truck drivers would have their company shamed in local media as being irresponsible, and rightly so.

People who don't teach their kids about road safety and then try to crap of you when your loud car sounded like you were doing 100kmh towards them. It's a school zone and a cold V10 wtf! It shouldn't be my problem when little Jonny runs out to the curb clearly visible from 100m away to just stop, use the crossing you little sh*t. 

Edited by Twistee

I try to teach my kids about road safety when out on bikes but keep striking drivers who think they're doing you a favour by ignoring the rules and just sit there waiting for you to ignore that give way or stop sign you're waiting at and move on out. I just have to vigorously wave them on and explain to the kids some people can't follow the rules 🙄

• Like 1

I hate the ones who when I'm daily turning right off a main busy road into our  side street and am sitting on the white line waiting for a gap , they suddenly decide to be helpful and stop as they approach to let you through holding up all those behind and nearly causing nose to tails , completely against all road laws and just stupid dangerous, and there's always a gap about 2 cars behind them which you had already seen and anticipated, wife says there just being nice but I just wish they actually drove sanely and consistently. none of them ever look or aware of whats behind, I can forgive an obvious occasional gradual slow down from a long way back and even  a headlight flash to give you the nod but otherwise they get the evil stare

• Like 2

If all drivers drove safely for the conditions and anticipated traffic flow then most of this shite would go away.

On 7/14/2023 at 12:44 PM, Kees said:

28 days for the alleged 147. 

More than 40 over is loss of license, more than 50 is loss of license + a court date. 

Damn - that sucks - at least its only 28 days - althugh I'm guessing a sizable donation is required as well?

Less temptation in a slow E30!

43 minutes ago, gofaster said:

If all drivers drove safely for the conditions and anticipated traffic flow then most of this shite would go away.

This road to zero BS should really just be driver education and policing.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, KwS said:

This road to zero BS should really just be driver education and policing.

And fixing the roads and roadscape. It’s amazing how many roads have power poles or large boulders (King Country especially) only a few feet or less off the driving line. There’s no leeway.

• Like 1

People who key cars, just had both sides of my car keyed, wtf is wrong with you, what makes you think you have the right to f**k up other peoples property.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/19/2023 at 5:04 PM, elias said:

People who key cars, just had both sides of my car keyed, wtf is wrong with you, what makes you think you have the right to f**k up other peoples property.

Ask around your neighbours for any video footage

On 7/17/2023 at 8:27 PM, M3AN said:

Auckland drivers. SMH.

Waikato expressway, only the occasional selfish prick sits in the right hand lane, most use it for passing only.

Not yesterday they weren’t, both heading south in the morning then back in the early arvo, light traffic both times.

So many drivers not aware in RH lane it was beyond annoying, some eventually pulled over to the left but there were still a few that had to be passed on the left. 

You’re still correct about AKL motorways though, maybe these were JAFAs that had got lost (couldn’t get off motorway??) and ended up in Waikato?

Edited by E30 325i Rag-Top
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, gofaster said:

Ask around your neighbours for any video footage

have asked, nobody has any cameras and nobody saw anything

• Sad 1