E30 325i Rag-Top

Is This Where The E30 Market Is Now..?

There’s already a seperate thread on this one in the TradeMe section, “E30 320is” surprisingly.

Worthy of it’s own thread tbh.

53 minutes ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

There’s already a seperate thread on this one in the TradeMe section, “E30 320is” surprisingly.

Worthy of it’s own thread tbh.

🤦‍♂️ Deleted.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sammo said:

Another high dollar E30 Build, different approach - not a fan of air but it does look really nice, probably more universal appeal than the orange one  😉

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-3316465811.htm

BD60F231-A9CC-4DD2-82C1-E7E96632DD5B.jpeg

81D50A47-C63A-43FD-BF7F-48840EEAA99B.jpeg

Or you could save $72,000 and get this same-same but different one.

Automatic V8, loud wheels and Calypso (?) paint as well with 4 headlights 😎

DBD2D6EB-282D-4705-9AE2-2846CA29E1C3.jpeg

Your comparison perfectly illustrates why I cannot fathom the e30 market. While people seem to froth over that e30 (I can appreciate the build but it is far from my taste) and e30s in general, I do not understand how someone could justify spending so much more when tidy e34s languish sub 10K (for a manual 535i or a low km auto 540i) and even sub 5K (for a manual 520i or a very tidy auto 525i). A clean 320i Auto for 8K will be snatched up in a couple hours while a clean auto 525i will struggle to find a home at 4K. 

I definitely think its a case of E34s being undervalued rather than e30s being overvalued though. E34s are the BMW everyone seems to like but no one seems to want. 

A 70K price difference is just ridiculous considering the 540i probably drives nicer since it was setup with a V8 from the factory and has proper adjustable suspension rather than air suspension. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kees said:

Your comparison perfectly illustrates why I cannot fathom the e30 market. While people seem to froth over that e30 (I can appreciate the build but it is far from my taste) and e30s in general, I do not understand how someone could justify spending so much more when tidy e34s languish sub 10K (for a manual 535i or a low km auto 540i) and even sub 5K (for a manual 520i or a very tidy auto 525i). A clean 320i Auto for 8K will be snatched up in a couple hours while a clean auto 525i will struggle to find a home at 4K. 

I definitely think its a case of E34s being undervalued rather than e30s being overvalued though. E34s are the BMW everyone seems to like but no one seems to want. 

A 70K price difference is just ridiculous considering the 540i probably drives nicer since it was setup with a V8 from the factory and has proper adjustable suspension rather than air suspension. 

It is pretty weird TBH - and I say that as someone who is actively looking to spend (waste / invest?) a lot of money on an E30.

E34's are great value at the moment, especially the 540i (we have seen a few really nice M535is go for good money in past 6 months).

For me personally, I've decided my next car needs to be comparatively light, compact and manual (along with a healthy dose of 'I've always wanted one and actively eating up the E30 hype machine).

I'm jealous of the value on offer with an E34 though, fantastic buying if you want something a bigger and more comfortable.

• Like 2

All I can say it that if finances somehow allow. A 540i touring is next on the list for sure. Got to fix up the e30 first though 😆.

8 hours ago, Kees said:

I bought an E30 ~10 years ago after soley owning half a dozen E34\E32's. Everyone was talking about them then and most of this board owned one in those days. They were great cars for money back then (still are minus the money part) but no BMW really else drives and looks like them whilst still being available and mostly financially obtainable. If you think E34 are under valved go look at E36 Ti's prices, basically the E30 driving experience without most of the common issues. They just happen suffer from not looking very good for a BMW during 90's and not many 6 cylinders made, otherwise they would probably be far more popular.

3 series will always be more popular than 5 series for smaller car reasons, lower numbers of 5 series manuals doesn't help things. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Ghost Chip said:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-3301028401.htm

Looks tidy enough. I wonder if it’s the same 4-door that was restored by a mechanic. I wonder if it’ll sell.

Can’t see much collector value in a low spec 320i auto sedan TBH, but you never know these days, it does look in stunning shape.

Someone manning up with a lovely looking car with a $1 reserve!

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/listing/3323766879?bof=kbiaeXTz

I don't believe the B20 or auto will really hurt the value of a vert, so going to take an uneducated guess at $23K.

Its in great 'cashed up boomer' spec IMO 🤣

1634297720.jpg

1634298007.jpg

Edited by Sammo

Wow lovely interior! I thought 89 e30's were fl?

17 minutes ago, m325i said:

I think the vert's kept going for longer pre FL?

They did.

2 hours ago, MD13 said:

Wow lovely interior! I thought 89 e30's were fl?

Mines facelift built jan 90 which I think is one of the first

3 hours ago, m325i said:

I think the vert's kept going for longer pre FL?

Yeah I think them and the wagons got made for some time after E36 was introduced too.

@gjm must be watching all of this with considerable interest😉

36 minutes ago, E28E30 said:

It is at $22k already @Sammo

I just saw that haha, oh lordy!

3 hours ago, Young Thrash Driver said:

@gjm must be watching all of this with considerable interest😉

😇

• Like 2

5 hours ago, E28E30 said:

It is at $22k already @Sammo

Wow, that’s getting up there. Looks a very decent car, but I struggle with the fact that three basic faults, odo gears, radio and pad wear sensor haven’t been sorted for that kind of money.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Wow, that’s getting up there. Looks a very decent car, but I struggle with the fact that three basic faults, odo gears, radio and pad wear sensor haven’t been sorted for that kind of money.

Dollar reserve I guess.

I’m more surprised that it’s hit $23k before (presumably) anyone had even looked at it…

• Like 1

Yeah, sorry, I didn’t put that very well - would be better to say I’m surprised someone is prepared to pay that money for a car with basic faults. I’ve always been wary - if someone’s not bothered to fix the easy stuff, what else have they “put up with..”?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Blackie said:

A lot of bids from a zero rated bidder....

Im very suspicious of that trader tbh, have seen a fair bit of discussion online about other cars he has been selling and hasnt been completely upfront with the history and condition. Wouldnt be surprised if there was shill bidding too. A trader with no feedback for buying or selling, and been on TM since 2019.... hmmm.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KwS said:

Im very suspicious of that trader tbh, have seen a fair bit of discussion online about other cars he has been selling and hasnt been completely upfront with the history and condition. Wouldnt be surprised if there was shill bidding too. A trader with no feedback for buying or selling, and been on TM since 2019.... hmmm.

The seller in question sold  long string of Series Land Rovers, and never varied from the "I'm no expert on these" nd "I don't know" when asked questions. One or two of the vehicles had been in his family collection for many years, and he endlessly described driving them.

Dodgy WoFs, vehicles not as described, shill bidders, fake feedback - all are stock in trade.

He does have some lovely vehicles too, but I feel he has a one size fits all approach to trading. Get vehicle, make it look nice, sell it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gjm said:

Get vehicle, make it look nice, sell it.

So a standard dealers approach.

But not being a dealer he can avoid any laws that protect the buyer.

In some ways worse than any dealer. Usually keep the numbers low enough to avoid pating tax too. Or registers the vehicles under the wife's name.

@gjm I’d rather bid the first dollar on yours mate 😉.

Because he has sold a few cars already doesn’t he need to be licensed as a dealer?